1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figure this out… TTR engine issues

Discussion in 'General' started by 27, Mar 25, 2024.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Alright fellas… here is an enjoyable task… I think anyway… as I like to figure things out… I know the answer but had fun trying to find it…

I’ll give you the facts and you tell me what’s what…

02 TTR 125L I bought it at the used dealer auction when they first came out… fall of 02 it was used… ran great in good shape and took a serious amount of neglect and abuse for two decades sending us to ERs and breaking bones and making laughs

so a buddy wants it as we’ve outgrown it and it’s sat a few years now… we put new tires on it and change the air filter and change the oil for the first time ever… we open the drain plug and get a drip drizzle plop plop… aluminum pieces literally fall out the oil drain… I’ve never ever seen this happen…

They’re small enough to come out the drain but alarming… the thing is it runs fine… we rode it just before working on it… so we’re stumped… we take the side covers off both sides and wash out the bottom… can’t find anything broken so we put it together and it starts up and runs… it smokes more than I remember but it’s now full of oil for the first time ever and a new oiled air filter… so maybe that’s the smoking…

we sleep on it and figure it has to be the piston skirts so we tear it down the next day and find it perfect…

So what’s the issue here? What’re these chunks and what would you do? Like I said it runs fine…

IMG_3871.jpeg IMG_3872.jpeg IMG_3873.jpeg IMG_3874.jpeg

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are the chunks magnetic?

27 likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Pull the clutch cover off. I believe those were kick start for that Gen. I wanna say I’ve seen one kick back and break the inner case. We never fixed it. Just kept push starting.

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

He said aluminum pieces came out

27 and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Clutch basket

27 likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well....heck....I read it as chunks came out, but you are right. Dumb question

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Agreed on the clutch basket.

Same thing happened to my 690 and I'm replacing as we speak.

27 likes this.
  8. Pmack

Pmack Member

Shift fork?

27 likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

nope… first thing we checked too

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

nope… first cover we took off… all perfect… mind you it runs and rides perfect… smokes a little… not related to the chunks

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

nope… it’s aluminum chunks

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

good idea…. We looked at that right after the clutch basket… nothing broken anywhere inside that we could see in either side case cover…

and yes, kick start still… not an E model… all perfect

13. Pmack

Pmack Member

A chunk of the oil pump casting?

27 likes this.
  14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

we didn’t split the cases but used a camera to look inside and can’t find any broken aluminum on any surface anywhere in the engine… no steel either as all gears and components are complete, intact, and undamaged

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

The key is in the good parts… that piston and cylinder all looks great still after years of abuse and neglect…

16. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

Could be from original manufacturing.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Getting closer… I should’ve clarified… the aluminum pieces look to be coated on one side of some of them… no numbers or markings on them but it’s cast aluminum not forged

18. Pmack

Pmack Member

Chunk of an old piston left from a poor rebuild?

27 likes this.
  19. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Something the cam chain's rubbed on/chewed up.

27 likes this.
  20. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

Going outside to look at my TTR. brb

27 likes this.