1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken rear spool tab

Discussion in 'Tech' started by WIslowpoke, Mar 21, 2024.

1. WIslowpoke

WIslowpoke Well-Known Member

My new-to-me -08 gsxr 600 is an old race bike that has been crashed, which is fine. Everything seems to be solid and straight. The one thing that bothers me is that, as a result of a crash, the chain side swingarm tab that holds the spool for a rear stand is broken off, see photo.

Now, I have a paddle-style rear stand that I can use without the spool but I can't help but wonder if the tab could somehow be fixed / rebuilt, or whether one could just drill and tap holes directly in the swingarm to reattach the spools in. Look for your collective wisdom on this, please. What are my realistic options?

https://i.imgur.com/0CDluJw.jpeg

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Buy a used swinger and swap it

WIslowpoke likes this.
  3. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Ebay swingarm. Clean, inspect and grease the linkage and bearings while you're there.

WIslowpoke likes this.
  4. WIslowpoke

Ok, two votes for a new used swingarm. Looks like they're plentiful and reasonably priced on Fleabay. Thanks!

5. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

If you have a aluminum bit, you can cut and shape it to a bung and simply drill and cut threads into it. Then find a good tig welder and just weld it on the bike. Or you can buy a premade bung, take the bike to a welder, and have him weld it for you. Just lean the bike on the side or lay mats on the ground and rest the bike on the ground. If done this plenty of times!

https://www.ictbillet.com/5pc-alumi...ng-female-nut-threaded-insert-metric-8mm.html

WIslowpoke likes this.
  6. WIslowpoke

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Kent at GMD replaced one of one long ago with no issues

WIslowpoke likes this.