1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squatters- talk to me like I am in 5th grade

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Mar 1, 2024.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I love Florida.. it's very possible to have someone evicted or tossed out in 30 days. In 23 years of renting my 44 apartments in South Tampa (sold couple yrs ago) i never had to go all the way through eviction process. And i personally would never have had to.
    As some have posted, i would have a courier service post a 3 day notice for those that were new tenants or didn't have a good history of paying. that's step 1. if they still didn't pay by end of week, i emailed copy of 3 day notice to
    http://evictionsplus.com/ and they handled everything from there. i'd then send them $300 (likely more today) they did the paperwork at the courthouse, would deliver an eviction notice from the court (and only had to "be pretty sure" tenant was there not physically touch them with it like in old days), they appeared in court (i never got that far), and (bit more $ if it went this far) would meet the sheriff at the property as they would change the locks and put tenants stuff on curb. done.
    Have a cousin in Illinois that farms a ton, they rented one of their farm homes out, had to pay the tenants electric and heating oil bill all winter long ! reason 1043-b why i moved outa blue IL.

2. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Tell the insurance adjuster, "the weather is unpredictable this time of year, pop up storms and all"

3. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

My sisters in Clearwater, one thing I've noticed, if some retarded regulation/ordinance/law pops up, old or new, Big Ron just says, Naa F'that and fixes it.
    Why is that concept so hard to grasp for others?? It's dangerous too, now the Cartels are taking advantage of the lax laws and court or street, no one (in their right mind) is gonna f with them.

https://x.com/courrielche/status/1770187568253956286?s=20

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I think you missed my point. Even if people are squatting in what you think is your house......you still never actually own it. You may have paid the note......it still isn't yours.

My property taxes are 10k a year. That's not heating, cooling, or fixing anything..

I can go to the country and rent a house for that with ease.

That's simply paying a bunch of gubbermint employees and all of their baggage.

I don't have a problem paying taxes. I DO have a problem paying a different dollar amount than the dude next to me and we both recieve the same service.

And on top of that I have a massive problem with people voting on property tax millage that don't even own property,

I'm not saying there shouldn't be tax. You need that to keep the wheel turning. I understand that.

The biggest shitholes in Michigan have the highest tax millages.

5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That's a big assumption that your financial guy can average 10% return into perpetuity......but anyway.... in 20 years, you'll have $300K while the real estate owner will have $600K in equity. Nothing beats inflation like Real Estate. Yes, it's more work, and that's why there's a return.

MELK-MAN and rd400racer like this.
  6. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you're talking about, but I'm not going to waste much energy railing against the system. You should try New York state if you think Michigan is bad. I'm not saying I don't think things need to be fixed, but I am saying that instead of fuming at how screwed up things are, I'm going about my business and playing my best hand with the cards I've been dealt. Even the issues I've had dealing with a squatter comes out of a situation where I own two homes. In the overall scheme of things, that's a lot more than most people have, so while I'm not thrilled with the ridiculous taxes, I actually have it pretty good.
    As a side note, I'm toying with the idea of running for the local school board. I have no school age kids, but it bothers me that educational spending isn't treated more like trying to run a profitable business. I think my objectivity might bring some much needed balance to the current groupthink.

tl1098 and Gino230 like this.
  7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

it boggles my mind when people move/live places that absolutely SUCK. I don't give a fuck how pretty it is, or whatever excuse you make.

TurboBlew, mike w and MELK-MAN like this.
  8. tony 340

Where are these 100k houses that appreciate to 600k and have no costs of money or time along the way ? Is there a yellow brick road ?

My financial guy has made me close to 30% some years

9. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Every place has its drawbacks/ advantages. Living in Florida pretty much means at some point all of your stuff gets destroyed by a hurricane. You could call the Fla insurance premiums a tax for living there.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I do live here and never had a hurricane wipe anything out. Little damages here and there but I am also not on the water. If I can afford a waterfront In Florida, I can afford to rebuild it once every 15-20 years.

There's a reason more people move TO Florida than most anywhere else. We are full though.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

As I said earlier, I think if we hacked off New York city and let them go it on their own, our state would be much better for it. I would move except for the fact that my wife, daughter and MIL are native Western New Yorkers and there's no separating those three! I'd have to move them all!

GRH and Banditracer like this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Same here, cut off the city and the rest of the state would be fine. I'm stuck here too, oldest daughter gave us our first grandchild, ain't no way grandma's moving. :crackup:

13. tony 340

I love New York outside of the city. It's beautiful.

The city/state....and their recent legal judgments against private citizens/business I've seen.....I wouldn't invest a quarter in that state.

This will not age well for that state. You've made your bed NY, time to lie in it now.

GRH likes this.
  14. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Blame me...It's my fault tgold came to New York and found his wife here!

tgold likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

"some" being the operative word.. hows that goin for the last 3.5 yrs compared to the 4 yrs prior ?

I'm putting my home of 23 yrs on the market very soon. paid $110k for it in late 1999 (bank foreclosure but was on MLS so open to market, needed a lot of work). put about $15k in it right away (stuff was cheap back then). about $40k till last year, doing about $45k now in paint, some floor cover, little spruce up of the 3 baths. very similar home next door sold for $630k last year.

sold apartments in historic district near downtown tampa for a SHI*TON more than i bought em for in 1999/2000, and made very handsome income all along the way every year.
    it aint for everyone, but RE can be one of the best returns. I admit, would hate to be starting out in what i did then, today.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

There's also the minor detail that that housing "investment" also came with a place to live... Most stock brokers won't put you up on top of those 30% returns...

Gino230, TurboBlew and JBall like this.
  17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not sure if thats the case the last few years. GAs population has absolutely exploded and Atlanta just jumped over Philly and Chicago for metro area population.

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I think this guy was on CNN last week. His mom gave him a lease, he moved in, and "a few days later the guy moved out". His methods vary, another case had the squatter a convicted felon. He moved in with his registered hand gun and told the guy he can move out or he can call the police and deal with the consequences. (I guess it doesn't matter who owns it, felons can't have guns in their house.)

lopitt85 likes this.
  19. solson1041

solson1041 Well-Known Member

The amount of landlord pain in this thread is giving me deeper pleasure than I've felt in a while, thanks to everyone for sharing their stories lol. Sorry y'all can't easily make money while sitting on your asses. Boo-hoo.

FYI, to answer the initial question in this thread: Squatters rights exist literally because the state needed laws which justified stealing the land from natives as the United States genocided them. That's why the concept of squatting can exist as it does in our legal system. If we got rid of it, it kinda opens up all sorts of legal claims for the Cherokees and the Blackhawks going back quite a ways. Legally speaking, this whole entire country was founded by squatters, we just called them "pioneers".

Squatter's rights are a weird legal vestigial organ from America's founding. It's sort of an original sin. Today they frustrate society's parasites, and it brings me great joy.

tony 340 likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more