1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Has Been To Mugello MotoGP?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Mar 18, 2024.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

In June, I have to be in Amsterdam to attend a meeting. I may fly into Munich so that I could visit a few friends that live in that part of Germany, prior to heading up north.

I then noticed The Italian MotoGP round is the first weekend in June. While it would be a bit of a stretch, I could possibly fly over to attend the GP weekend first, then travel to Germany, and then onwards to Amsterdam.

How much of a pain is it to get to/out of the track?

Am I SOL in regard to getting a place to stay near the track?

Where should I plan to hang out on Saturday night?

Comments, suggestions? TIA.

2. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

My wife and went to Mugello in 2022. We stayed in a "condo" type thing in a nearby village called Ronta. http://www.podereugolini.it/

I don't remember when we booked it, but I do remember that it definitely wasn't "sold out" (I don't know how much we spent because my accountant handled that)

(maybe a 15 minute drive each day). Its up on top of a big hill. Our particular condo had a window that overlooked the entire village, it was really cool. They have a small pool and a bunch of goats too. lol The village of Ronta is a very quiet little place with just a few shops. We often ate at the restaurant at the bottom of the hill for the driveway to the condo. Great food/cheap I think? A couple of race team personnel were eating there too.

We considered hanging at the track on Saturday night but we didn't really come prepared and rain/storms were in the forecast.

Would do it all over again the exact same way.

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I stayed in a Scarperia air BnB 2 years ago during a round of the Italian National series, you can almost walk to the front gate. Of course, it was not a GP weekend, so there's that. I went for the GP weekend back in 2008, and getting into the track was no problem- getting out, we sat for 4 hours in a line, so that sucked. We were staying quite a bit away, I don't remember where as that was a tour where it was all handled for us. There's a lot of small towns around there that probably have the same type scenario.

I would check air BnB's around there. One thing to note about AirBnb in Europe, is if it says 2 rooms, that means one bedroom and a bathroom.

I found the listing from the place I stayed, but it looks like he's sold out those weeks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    YamahaRick likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I went in 2019. Getting in and out of the track is pretty tough on race day if you aren't staying in the nearby town. We parked in a grass field. Getting out of the track was a shit show with wannabe Rossi's on scooters and sportbikes ripping through the crowd. Once we got back to the car, it was fine.

Best/fastest way to experience it would be to stay in an agriturismo relatively close (an hour or so), and rent a bike to get to the track.

YamahaRick likes this.
  6. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I’ve been to the Mugello GP quite a few times. If you will be there for the weekend, rent a VRBO or AirBnB. Like all GPs parking is pretty far away and it will take a while to get out of the area. Best bet is to stay at the track after the race for an hour or so and let the others fight the crowd.
    The weather is typically hot, it rained last year on Saturday, but most of the time you will be in t-shirt weather.
    The race teams and riders eat at the waterfront in Cattolica on Friday night.

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

whatever you are considering - DO IT

keep in mind, some rental car companies in germany (the big ones) will not rent a car to you if you are going to italy. or require you to get special insurance.

if it was me, i'd fly into Milan, get a car there, do Mugello, return the car, take the train to MUC.

Milan to Munich train tickets from $29 (€25) - Omio

then by train to AMS...

fly home from there

Gino230, YamahaRick and freedomgli like this.
  8. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

Decent rooms and good seats were both selling out fast in January when I booked. Thankfully I found a semi-affordable place 1hr away and covered seats for Sunday only in the Tribuna Centrale SILVER PIT LANE section, which includes VIP parking inside the track.

A lot of people stay in Florence and take the train to Borgo San Lorenzo and then a shuttle bus or taxi as close as they can get, which is probably 1.5km away from the entrance. Then walk another few km to get to your grandstand or viewing zone.

Booking tickets via the TicketOne.it site was a pain as their 2FA didn’t want to work for me. But eventually I persevered using a Google Voice number and an internet SMS forwarding service. I’m guessing there are still travel agents with mediocre package deals still available at premium prices. And being Italy, there’s probably someone with connections who can get you a general admission ticket and a place to stay if you’re not picky. Or you can sleep rough at the racetrack. Even crappy rooms close to the track seemed crazy expensive. motoGP is the highest in demand weekend in that area so expect low availability and high prices.

Getting in/out is a pain due to the rural setting, narrow roads and big crowds. Expect a lot of traffic congestion, a very long walk from any public parking area/ public transit. Best bet is to ride a scooter or motorbike.

YamahaRick likes this.
  9. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

You can probably fly Munich to Rimini round trip for about $300. Train is maybe $75, but takes 10 hours because it is not a direct route.

Phl218 and YamahaRick like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This would be great in the old, strong Germany....but now its basically a bunch of whiny commie B(^*&%s so there will be a rail strike, or bus strike or airline strike or deflatormouse strike and everyone will be on sympathy strike so getting around will be impossible.

I would avoid travel that relies on public transit in the Father....errr Sisterland until such time as they arent a bunch little "gott in himmel... inflation last week was up .02% above what our contracted raises call for...ve must strike immediately or ve cannot afford our daily radler's!!!!"

Basically New Germany is Eastern France. Let that sink in. There is now 2 France's in Europe. And only 1 Texas.

YamahaRick, Phl218 and brex like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ask me… Frankfurt was on strike when i had to leave Thursday two weeks ago

rebooked to STR-CDG-ATL-GSP just to wake up next morning to a text that AF cancelled the CDG-ATL.

luckily the gal on the hotline got me on DL85 … 2 classes down but home the same day

so, yeah, you are right…

brex, YamahaRick and ChemGuy like this.