MotoGP | 2024 | Race 1 | Qatar | Lusail | March 8-10

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m watching the MotoGP warm up show before the riders meeting in 30 mins. They’re interviewing David Brivio. I really missed him in the paddock. It seems Trackhouse is bringing some different ideas in. I’m curious to see how a NASCAR team will do.

27 likes this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If you haven't been there, you're gonna love it. That whole area is one of my favorite places to go.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

5. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Looks like My Overlord is dating again

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

They just changed the tire pressure rules and penalties…no more automatic DQ’s, now you get a 16 second penalty added to your time for regular race and 8 seconds for sprints. 16 seconds could probably drop you from 1st to last with how close the laps are.

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Thats interesting I wonder how they came up with 16 seconds?

It may have been better to do 1 second per number of laps in the race. 16 seconds at Jerez is a lot different that 16 seconds at Spa

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

They haven't raced at Spa in almost a quarter century.

Still, I think 16 seconds is almost as bad as a DQ, but at least they made the pressure window a bit bigger.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If Spa was on the MotoGP calendar, the race distance would be the same as Jerez, around 100 km. 16 seconds to your total race time at any track is 16 seconds.

10. Dan Dubeau

So dumb. So, so dumb. They do not have enough control over the variables that affect the measurement, to be imposing such harsh penalties for infractions.

11. Dan Dubeau

I didn't know that. That makes it a bit better at least. These penalties on the old tolerance window would be a complete joke from a metrology standpoint.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Was there an upper limit before?

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

LeMans - whatever :crackup: :timeforabeer:

The really fast track in France :p

Distance ok, but total race time too? Not sure what they based the number of laps on.

14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

They brought the minimum starting pressure for the front tire down from 1.88 bar to 1.8 bar. (1.1psi lower for us Muricans) No upper limit, but it makes the usable pressure range bigger.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

On a total race distance of 100 km.

p.s. Bike and car courses at Le Mans are different. Bike course (Circuit Bugatti) is much shorter.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Only in theory, if they are always trying to take chances on the minimum.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

They probably came up with a race distance advantage of running low pressure. Let's say 4 secs real advantage (that would be a considerable 0.2 sec/lap on a 20 lap race).
    Then multiplied an arbitrary factor of 4 as penalty.

Pretty much like an American lawyer would think.... :D

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

19. TwiztidR6

TwiztidR6 Well-Known Member

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Sounds that way