1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR 400 Body work alternatives

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fzrkidd, Feb 28, 2024.

1. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

With Beasley and AirTech gone it's time to start thinking about a more modern bodywork set up for the FZR400s. Who out there has tried some different things and been successful in retrofitting them?? I know I've seen a couple of R1 and maybe R6 conversions, anyone try anything else?? I've been thinking about trying some FZ07, has anyone tried it before?

2. Mark woodlief

Mark woodlief Active Member

99 to 2001 r6 and r1 tail

britx303 likes this.
  3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Agreed the 1st gen r6 tail looks good but with the 91-92 fzr600 upper race fairing in my opinion. Not so much the bulbous 400. Just looks odd to me, that combo. I’ve got 2 spare uppers, but obliterated spare tails in crashes. I better start looking too…..

4. fzrkidd

I always used the fzr600 upper as well with 400 mids and lower. I used a TZ tail trimmed down to fit at the tank. All those options are gone now ... suppose I can do some bodywork repair.

I'm really considering the FZ07 kit though, I think it would look fantastic I just don't know if it will fit. With it being a twin I'm hoping its not too narrow of a set up around the lower. Its a gamble ... but I may take it!

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’d love one of those tails……not sure if it’s TZ or what, but it’s the kind that covers the battery area, and you use the foam pad

6. fzrkidd

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's the 94-95 TZ 250 Tail that I always used with the foam pad.

7. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the FZR400 gang hasn't reached out to AirTech and tried to solicit the purchase of the FZR400 molds?...I wish there was a large enough contingent of zx7 enthusiasts to attempt the same purchase of those molds.

Regards,
    Chad

fzrkidd likes this.
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hit up Tannermatic in Mass, he can recreate bodywork off crashed bits depending on how much is left, and he may still have the molds he made off my 3TJ's bodywork.

fzrkidd likes this.
  9. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

fzrkidd likes this.
  10. fzrkidd

This is still a possibility for sure, and know someone already who has considered it. I think storage space is the issue, from what I understand these things are pretty big

11. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

i have a full set of YZF750 bodywork with R7 tail and the YZF tank if interested.

12. macbook

macbook Well-Known Member

My FZR400 is set up to use R7 airtech fairing with XR750 seat & tail. And I'm not going to use them so if anyone is interested...

13. joec

joec brace yourself

if anyone's gonna go this route, better get in touch with Matt soon. I know he's been tossing tooling and if he doesn't have it, you'll be paying for that too. and it ain't cheap.

14. fzrkidd

He's supposed to let me know soon if he still has it, I'll update here when he lets me know.

joec likes this.
  15. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

I just got a set of 1991 GSXR 750 bodywork with the '89 RR tail from these guys. Not bad pricing ($635) and free shipping from Germany took 3 weeks. Its direct from fresh body molds as the origional decals can be seen. A little prep and its good to go for a race bike.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  16. B.W.

B.W. Member

You have any pics and price in mind ?