1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Improvement Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I figure this could grow...

Buying a house. It's about 28 years old with hardwoods. Lots of very squeaky places. We're going to refinish the floors before moving in and have some other things we'll take care of along the way.

My flooring question is, how feasible is it to address the squeaks, how expensive is that, and who would do it?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

A real man?

BigBird likes this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Without ruining the floors dummy. :D

I've got enough tools to tear the shit out of it and screw it down, but believe I'm lacking in talent to make the floors look decent again. My thought is getting someone to fix them before refinishing would allow for the smoothing of any imperfections during the sanding phase by the refinishers.

Can you pull a board without damaging the floors and screw down the subfloor to fix it or does the whole floor need to come up? Go through the ceiling below? Inquiring minds want to know!

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

As y0u're driving around town look for a work van with " floor sanding" on the side.

Call them and find a local craftsman guy that also does new installs.

We found an old German dude, redid my moms floor which was wood parquat tiles......looks bad ass now.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If there is a basement under it the squeaks can be addressed from below.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

We have trusted refinishers we've used before.

7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

WD40?

Phl218 and BrentA like this.
  8. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

This is your best case situation. Worst case is no lower access and the squeak turns out to be a PVC pipe sitting on a brace beneath the subfloor.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

First and second floors. First is over a finished basement. I don't recall if there's a drop ceiling.

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've pulled up small sections of my 70 year old hardwood floor but it's not T&G. I would imagine your isn't either. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, I wouldn't try. You only get one chance.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

12. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

This is good advice. I'll also add to avoid vans that say "Free Candy" on the side...

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What did Candy do to get imprisoned?

14. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Speaking of hardwood floors... I'd like to sand and refinish mine. I've been googling but not seeing any one that jumps out at me as being the contractor I want to work with.

Is it really a nightmare to do yourself? Quality differences between disk sanders versus belt? Don't need many imperfections or dents removed, just a good scrub so it can be coated again. Mine are around 22 years old and finish is starting to go.

15. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Or make it worse by running a bunch of screws up through the subfloor. So many things could be causing the squeaks making it very difficult to correct.

16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Well, She's crafty, she's gets around
    She's crafty, she's always down
    She's crafty, she's got a gripe
    She's crafty, and she's just my type
    She's crafty.

pickled egg likes this.
  17. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

You
    You probably want to screen, not sand your floor

Much less intrusive and better results by a beginner

But, hire an experienced finisher
    It's not like you can fix it if you eff up the job

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

She witnessed too many things.

pickled egg likes this.
  19. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Jill Taylor was hawt. Prove me wrong.

20. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Good news for Jed, this requires you to race more and at least once a week to run a chainsaw for an hour. You will notice those floor squeaks disappearing. Unfortunately other noises disappear too, crickets, birds. But you will not hear those squeaks nor your wife