1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you steer?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Maybe some details get lost in translation. And it's targeted to amateur /beginner td riders. So a very good one for people who need to understand "why trail brake?"
    It's a promo video, after all... (Dunlop, mainly)

lopitt85 likes this.
  2. Ra.Ge. Raptor

There's the hidden gem!
    Go to Podcast #10 at 05:20. This podcast is about body position and body timing but, since everything is interconnected, Ken grabs the chance to talk about steering with the brakes and peg weighting, how to and when to. He also clarifies when countersteering is the primary steering force . An eye opener.

3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone who answered. Not having a chance to attend a school, such as YCRS, and trying to clarify matters that are not 100% clear in my head, it is very important to read opinions from people who actually race. There's a lot of misinformation around the internet.

What I got from this thread is a better understanding of things people like Ken Hill or Jason DiSalvo say. That is really important to me.

Things really are quantifiable and someone has to be an adjustable rider to extract the best performance out of his motorcycle for the situation. (all Ken Hill's vocabulary :D)

4. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

You know, this stuff is written down in textbooks with actual equations at this point, and has been for decades. There's absolutely no need to crowd-source opinions or look for a seasoned veteran. Steering motion splits into rectilinear and curvilinear motion and then is well studied and documented.

sbk1198 likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

But, but, but...did they take into account the development of radial tires back then? :D

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What if you're on a treadmill?

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

A book like that could help you build a bike and give it the characteristics you want. Sure, you could extract information about riding, if you're a beginner and don't understand "countersteering".

But the truth is, there's no consensus on what makes a great rider in our sport. There's still too much misinformation like "steer as quickly as possible" or "never use the brakes while leaned".

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I think there is, it's just very hard to accomplish. It's a combination of physical coordination/aptitude + great understanding of physics + huge freakin balls! All the MotoGP riders scored a 10/10 on each of those 3 categories :D Personally, I'm at a 6 + 10 + 3, so I know exactly why I'm slow :D

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

backbone likes this.
  10. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

7 years!

11. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

The video that Fortnine video is based on:

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

JFC what's next- an oil thread???

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I use a variety of oils, depending on the circumstances.

Olive oil for pastas and general berling duties.

Avocado oil for salads

Butter for pan frying veggies

Peanut for high temp searing

Canola for deep frying.

Note that’s canola, not cannoli. Cannoli oil is for sending knuckle babies to a watery grave in the clogged shower drain.

Sabre699, MrGooch and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Rotella or GTFO

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

How do you clear your cast iron? Soap, water only, scrubber??? Should you grind your cast iron smooth? What's the best way to season cast iron? How do you strip a seasoning that's gotten crusty???

PatricksDad likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Anybody have any recommendations for vacuums?

17. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Nope, they all suck!

Sabre699 and pickled egg like this.
  18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Only 7 pages?..... For how to ride a bike?

Only 7 pages.

19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

What they're not taking into account is whether it's a corner that you need to brake for or not.

HUGE miss

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck