1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: Race Tires & Race Tracks

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 29, 2018.

1. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Gotcha and thanks for all the info!

2. bsanorton

Excellent, I thought I had to stick to 06'-07' because my front end is an 06', but you have opened up a larger selection for me!

3. bsanorton

The Dunlop's will fit on my Street Triple. I didn't realize how old they were (2017) when I did track days (brought as a spare bike and indeed my FZR400 didn't start the 2nd day) last year. The ones on currently happen to be Dunlop Sportmax Q3's. Seemed nice on the track. What does the purplish color on the outside edges off my rear tire mean? Now I can order the Pirelli's for my SV650. Win win, it's only money honey. LOL I'm starting to pay close attention to tire dates.

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Once you start buying tires at the track (James Bock for Pirrelli or Stickboy for Dunlop & Bridgestone) you'll never have to worry about manufacturer dates or anything else. Either of those two will treat you better than any retail or online business.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. bsanorton

Thank you. Just picked up a spare front rim so now I can bring a spare set to the track and have tires mounted.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You forgot about Mark Tenn in South Florida

7. bsanorton

Who I just ordered from...any promo codes?

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

From my Pirelli 401k retirement account?
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

I would think these guys will ship too, no? I have a season worth of Pirellis in boxes from Trackside (my local support) down in my basement. They (Sean and Mike?) have good shipping rates and I get stuff in a day. I hate hate hate dealing with that crap at the track.

10. bsanorton

$50 for shipping, on it's way to me hopefully soon

Mike Fennell likes this.
  11. bsanorton

Feels like Christmas morning...Do I mount the Q5's on my track/race SV and save the Pirelli's to be mounted next on the SV so I experience the difference? Or do I mount the Q5's on my Street triple now (backup track bike) that date wise needs new ones and mount the Supercorsa's on the SV now?

Attached Files:

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I got five pallets in last week. I just ordered more. My tire bill hurts.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. bsanorton

I can't decide lol...help me. I'm bringing my Street Triple to the track and have a set of extra rims for the SV.

14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Mount the new tires on what you intend to race.
    Most racers use last months “race tires” for the track day.
    Install new tires for the morning of the race warm ups; they get scrubbed in, and you get a relaxed start, as well as a sanity check.

15. bsanorton

thank you, sounds good

16. bsanorton

Tire date- So I finally opened up the plastic that the tires were wrapped in, the Pirelli's from a recommended vendor. The rear tire is dated 2020, I am a little concerned, all the other tires, 2 from STG and the other Pirelli are dated mid to late 2023. Thoughts?

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Be afraid! Ship that 2020 tire to me and I will make sure it gets disposed of ASAP!

Wheel Bearing, BrentA and RRP like this.
  18. bsanorton

Lol so dates don't mean crap? 4 year old new tire from vendor? Is that normal?

19. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Build dates do matter but let's get to the track first before working on the right side of the decimal point! After your first race weekend and you process what happened things will start to unfold.

TLR67 likes this.
  20. bsanorton

I still consider myself a newbie, but have done about 8 track days. My question is should I expect a new tire from a vendor to be dated 4 years old? Especially for the price I paid and shipping cost?