1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Actually at .23-.24 a round a 9mm PCC makes way more sense for a binary trigger than .47-.50 a round for .223. Plus you can always throw a .223/7.62/300bo upper on there anytime you feel the need. Trust me the binary is fun once in a while but you quickly get used to blowing through mags. I use my binaries almost exclusively for double taps now. The more you shoot the more sense it makes. My larger caliber guns get shot but not with near the frequency of my rimfire and PCC, subgun stuff and it's all due purely to cost. I always get a kick out of the folks that bring a AK or AR to the range and shoot maybe 60 shots in 20-30 minutes. It's not uncommon for me to shoot 350-400 rounds of .22 and 100-200 rounds of 9mm in an hour or two per trip. That's only $74.00 in ammo. If I shot 200 rounds of AR or AK that is $94.00 in ammo. All that extra practice and fun plus it's $20 cheaper. I do not look at it like I'm saving money, just allocating it to a platform where I can shoot more per dollar. Overall I guess it depends on what you really like to shoot but I wish I would have gotten into shooting PCC and subgun before AR's. I wouldn't have a safe full of guns that get shot maybe 3-4 times a year. IMHO it's more impressive to make a good shot with a PCC than a AR anyway.

gapman789 likes this.
  2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

More impressive with a PCC?
    Are we talking distance shooting like over a hundred yards or close up?
    If you’re hitting 2” groups at 200 yd with a sub gun then yes that’s more impressive than with a 5.56 that should be a given group size at that distance. But other than that more energy requires more control so a PCC should always be easier to hit tight groups with max speed 50yd and in.

redtailracing likes this.
  3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

i get a kick out of mag dumping my ak/ar shooting at trash and it takes me 10 seconds :)

dobr24 likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I shoot my pcc stuff from 25-100 yards regularly. I shoot them at longer distances when able. I agree that at distance it would be more impressive to hold a tighter grouping with the pcc.

As far as more energy needs more control we will have to disagree that an AR is more. A fully buffered AR that is tuned properly kicks only a slight bit more than a .22 in my experience. A 9mm pcc that is direct blowback or buffered tends to feed the shooter more "kick" making tighter follow ups a little more difficult which I would say is more impressive.

Subguns, I agree are mostly tuned so well that they also allow easy follow ups. My B&T 9mm is ridiculously soft shooting.

RonR likes this.
  5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Me too, the RSO doesn't like that though. lol

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Yes platform makes a difference so a shit PCC will definitely move more than a well tuned 5.56. But build a PCC correctly and it is more controllable than 5.56. If you have any doubts try FA with ether. My shit 9mm won’t come close to walking anyone back like my shit M16

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

That we can agree on. I run hydraulic buffers on my better PCC's and it makes a huge difference. I just recently put together a MAT-9 upper and stock lower and that thing will literally rattle your teeth, yet I see guys raving about it all the time like it's the best thing since sliced bread. You either know or you don't.

I don't have any full auto stuff........yet. The prices are ridiculous right now and I'm hoping they drop. For example:
    https://otbfirearms.com/colt-m16a1-factory-14-5-carbine-5-56mm/

Even transferable trigger packs are nuts. I saw a guy on the HK pro forum looking for a pack and everyone was saying get ready to pay north of $40k. Insane..

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Here you go - $28K for a drop in auto sear.
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...ar-full-transferrable-class-iiinfa-registered

Steak Travis likes this.
  9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Hey wife, you remember all that money I’m gonna get for upgrading to captain… well it’s gone and I have a machine gun now. It’s an investment!

Sabre699 and sanee like this.
  10. Jedb

Sound logic, let us know how that discussion goes..

The alternative is $20 worth of machined steels... (and up to 10 years in Federal lockup).

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

12. Jedb

$0.28K

RonR and dobr24 like this.
  13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I have a Staccato XC....better gun....half the price. Watch the 1911 Syndicate's youtube breakdown of the Pit Viper...their reviews are very good overall. The Pit Viper is cool, but overpriced hype. And say that as a HUGE John Wick fan.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

$8K.....:crackup::crackup:

sanee and Sabre699 like this.
  16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Finally found this at a semi-local scratch n dent for $200. Glad I didn't get a smaller 'ammo specific' cabinet that is less than 1/2 the size of this and more $.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-R...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-305907168-_-206288227-_-N

7500 - 9mm + 500 in ammo can
    3000 - 223/556 + 360 in loaded pmags
    750 - 10 mm

I've also shot that much ammo so far.

5 pistols, an AR 15, tactical 12 ga shotgun, AR lower w/binary trigger yet to be built, Winchester 26 gun safe and ammo cabinet, 5 red dots, magnifier, 6 weapon lights, 42 extra mags, 3 range bags, rifle case, sighting scope, range finder, railroad tie range + steel targets ($1000). Not bad for a few months of noob-ness. Im about done for awhile.

ammo cabinet.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  17. gapman789

Soooo I'm just about convinced to go with an AR 9 pistol build with my Franklin Armory binary triggered lower.

What length barrel would you recommend? 7.5", 8? I want to be able to hit 100 yds fairly accurately if that's possible. Gun would be going in the RV with me, home defense, target shooting.

18. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

3BAE330A-BB00-48DB-AC0B-278D79F488EF.jpeg I recently added this one to my collection, my first 1911 & I now know why people love them. It’s a nail driver

gapman789 and S Tsotsoros like this.
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Longer barrel should be more accurate. Depends a lot on the quality of the barrel. I run shorter stuff as it’s easier to weild in tight confines like a hallway. I can hit stuff at a 100 but it’s mostly for shorter stuff 50yds and under. More important question is what mags do you want to use? Glock is what I use for all my PCC stuff so it all transfers back and forth between guns. I would get a Glock mag well adapter and some 33 round mags and pick this up
    https://www.primaryarms.com/fm-products-complete-9mm-ar-upper-7-glock-style-m-lok-blast-diffuser

I have this upper and it runs flawlessly. If you can spring for a kyn shot hydraulic buffer it will really settle the gun down.

20. gapman789

These would be the other alternative to Glock mags/adapter it seems.

I don't have any Glocks, and don't see myself ever wanting to get one. So i would probably stick with the Pmag 556 conversion to 9mm.

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/mean-arms-endomag-9mm-30-round-pmag-conversion-kit.html