Tie down advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by PatricksDad, Feb 23, 2024.

1. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Yes, it had the Denco pipes on it.....with the little bitty "stingers" at the end of each pipe. They were about as big around as my thumb. Honestly, you couldn't stand to be behind the bike when it was started up and you brought the revs up....it would make your ears bleed! LOL

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Once I realized how little you need to actually hold the bike during transport, it made it really easy.

You can do it with no straps on the bars at all... I've used straps at the foot pegs pulling down and forward to the outside/wide anchor points. Same with the two holes that are on the left and right sides of the GSXR frame. The lower triple with soft ties. I used the tyrefix straps below in order to take all pressure off my suspension, and they worked.

Lots of viable options that worked well...but I still prefer the TRS.

51a7qkTRuiL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

3. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Very interesting, looks like I need to rethink and revise my moto tie down game. Would love to be able to securely transport without compressing the shit out of the front forks. That’s the one drawback of using ratchet straps, it’s easy to overdo it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. backho

backho Well-Known Member

There’s a reason that over the road freight haulers use ratchet straps and not cam buckles. Use them correctly and they work as intended

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

ironic

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I have some ancra's used so much, they slip. we always wrap the loose pull ends around the upper or lower eyelet (depending on how much strap length is left) to prevent the slipping from loosening up. By wrapping the excess in the loop, if the cam were to slip a little or a lot, the wrapped ends stop the strap from loosening much at all. I have done this since the 80's. I have a handful of Ancra's left, and a bunch of newer Powertye's, with a pile of soft shackle extension straps, with loops on each end. For bikes with bars, and several other uses for tying things down, the soft tie extensions are awesome. Not my first Rodeo, lumping everyone into the buying Chinese crap, is a pretty broad brush. Ski

7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

This is why my cam buckles have never come loose. I hate strap ends flapping in the wind (and the damage to the straps caused by it) so whether it's ratchet or cam buckles I do the same thing. I loosely tie the strap on itself at the buckle/ratchet, then I fold up the strap a few inches long and secure it with little velcro "cable ties". The same type you see in office spaces for bundling computer and network cables. Reusable, and secures everything in place to prevent surprises.

8. alan

alan Well-Known Member

We always tie a slip knot into the cam style straps. It loosens up the slip knot stops it. We transported thousand of bikes this way.

grapemustard and Once a Wanker.. like this.