Tie down advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by PatricksDad, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Sounds like you just need to rent an enclosed trailer.

2. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

Doesn’t really solve the problem, I don’t think.

Also costs twice as much, weights twice as much, and doesn’t have tie downs.

Almost all of my usage is one day

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

For years and years, my setup for hauling two bikes was a Baxley wheel chock for each bike, then a set of ratchet straps for each bike. The ratchet straps were attached at the rear of the bike, about where a passenger foot rest would be located (I made some aluminum attachments that were bolted to the bikes) or slightly higher and close to the sub-frame. The ratchet straps pulled Down and Forward and of course wider than the bike is. One on each side was all the strapping I ever used. Nothing attached to the front of the bike at all, just the front tire locked into the Baxley........literally 10s of thousands of miles without an issue of any kind.

Here is a pic that you can see the tie down that I attached to the bike. It was made of aluminum angle (1 1/2" x 1 1/2" if I remember correctly) and bolted up to where the passenger peg brackets used to be....one on each side Zoom in if you can see it.....it's right below the rear of the seat and bolted to the subframe.

[​IMG]

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. PatricksDad

I have used these before as they’re stainless and go anywhere you can thread a 10mm bolt.
    upload_2024-2-23_19-30-23.jpeg

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

And me too. Not enough to cause a disaster, because there were other tie-downs, but I've had it happen. And this was using the best friction type I could think to buy. Doesn't happen often, but I use ratchet straps in spite of their being a bit more difficult to work with (okay... a lot).

Only thing I could add is get lots of "tie down helpers", padded ones, long ones, short ones, etc. They don't wear out, and I generally use all of the types for different bikes/applications.

PatricksDad likes this.
  6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Not a fan of canyon dancers. I saw several pull grips off, and the pull through strap thing just scares me. Too Bad Cycle Cynch stopped making the original versions, they were the best bar style tie downs. I have 4 of the cycle cynch's still to use when needed. Here is the link to their v2: https://cyclecynch.com/store/p2/Cycle_Cynch_II_-_Includes_tie_downs.html

As far as cam buckles failing, you need to wrap the pull end through the eyelet several times, to create a "brake" if the cam were to fail, or slip on the strap. Ratchets can be finicky and you generally over tighten them. be careful, check your load several times, during your route of travel. Ski

TurboBlew and PatricksDad like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Do you have a picture of the bike? There should be zero issues with tying a bike down to a Uhaul trailer so maybe seeing the bike would help us understand a bit better.

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. PatricksDad

upload_2024-2-23_20-21-52.jpeg

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You didn't tie the excess strap and yank it down against the cam to prevent that?

Also, never had a problem with canyon dancers. :)

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'm guessing too many of you are too young to understand Ancra cam style tie-down straps, Ancra brand soft-ties (looped extensions,) and a trip to your locally owned hardware store will allow one to tie down any bike. Well that, and a basic understanding of geometry...

I am constantly amazed by how many of my so called experienced M/C friends buy cheap Chinese tie-down straps. Whether cam-style or ratchet style, and no matter how wide they are, they are no match for any style Ancra strap.

I did just buy a Baxley style wheel clamp, but have yet to use it. I can see it's advantage in holding the bike while I tie it down with my Ancras.
    You have options. Loop some soft-ties in a 'P' around something sturdy.

Banditracer, PatricksDad and ToofPic like this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Or invest in some original Ancra brand cam-style straps.

TurboBlew and Bugslayer like this.
  12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Or... get some harbor freight straps and just tie em off :D

13. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I can’t remember, it’s been awhile since I’ve used them.

I find Power Tye ratchet straps coupled with a Canyon Dancer is pretty simple and effective.

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Or buy a HF trailer. I helped a buddy put one together. Put a 3/4" plywood floor, TRS, cleaned and packed the bearings with quality wheel bearing grease...he's towed from TX to AL and all over the Southeast and back and its never let him down.

It doesn't take long to pay for itself in rentals, and you own it. Folds up out of the way when not in use. And the convenience of not having to deal with renting and turning in...priceless.

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I did the same with am eyebolt on each side. Same location.

xrated likes this.
  16. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

LOL....I've got a set of the original Ancra brand cam style tie down straps from 1974........and nope, that's not a typo. I bought them when I was trailering my 1972 Kawasaki H2 triple to the drag strip twice a week back then. There is a good news/bad news story in that.....the good news first, I still have the tie down straps. The bad news....the H2 is long gone, and I wish I still had that bike!

YamahaRick and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. Once a Wanker..

I also have a few of my faded red Ancras I've been able to keep others from permanently borrowing from my motocross days in the mid 1970's, @xrated .

xrated likes this.
  18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

An H2 with Denco pipes = sweet sound

xrated and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. Kneedragger34

Kneedragger34 Member

When I used a haul. I just used a big piece of plywood. Reinforced it. And attached the trs. Worked fine.

Once a Wanker.. and PatricksDad like this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

must be the 25yr old fabric ones... the plastic cupped ones work great just dont cinch them down uber tight. They dont work on lever protected bikes.

In a pinch Ive transported faired bikes with a baxley & a single ratchet strap looped around the rear tire to the corner hooks adjacent to the chock.