1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Crossbreed responded, going to "build" me a new Supertuck for replacement, said 2-3 weeks. LOL! When this is all done, I will have been without a holster for over 2 months. Ski

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

that's why i buy $35 cya supply holsters on amazon...next day shipping and cheap. work and feel great. :)

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

I just found an adaptor plate that simply replaces the rear sight. Con is you lose the rear iron altogether. Pro is for $80 you can have a mount without having to get the slide machined and you can easily go back to strictly irons.
    https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-p-07-cz-p-09-red-dot-mount-universal-type-c

pjdoran likes this.
  4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It took 187 days (heh) in NFA purgatory, but alas, the https://liveqordie.com/el-camino/El Camino from Q is now at home with me. While it's really a .22 silencer with removable stainless steel baffles, it was advertised to withstand 5.7 x 28, so naturally, I had to try it.

From the back porch (enclosed on three sides), it was within hearing safe on the 5.7, not even loud, really. It'll spend most of its time on the (cli)Taurus TX-22, wherein it didn't seem to change POI at all.

I had been using a 9mm Erect9r for the .22, but scrubbing rimfire guts off the aluminum internals isn't easy, so I'm glad this is now with us to stay. The SS baffles clean up a lot easier than aluminum.

I'll probably buy another one.

1.jpg

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

FYI if anyone has an FN502 (their 22lr pistol that is the same dimensions as the 509), I posted on thingiverse a "thumb buster" 3d print part to hold down the button to make it easier to load the magazines.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6490683

Jedb likes this.
  6. Some of the most fun I have shooting is my with my suppressed Ruger Mk IV. I’ve got the suppression dialed in about as good as it needs to be.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Talking to guys in the business; dudes with SOTs and access to pretty much anything out there that we can’t get, they enjoy shooting silenced .22 more than anything. It’s the most best.

I shoot 500-600 rounds/week in the back yard when it’s warmer out. To help with that habit, but it 1k / time from Drew at Covrett. Yeah, it’s Magtech, but I’ve had no complaints about their ammo.

8. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Just picked up my 3rd Walther pistol this past week. This time a PDP fullsize 4.5 barrel. Being left handed, it came down to this and a HK vp9. Both felt great in my hand, but I preferred the mag release location better on the Walther. Now to find a holster for range work and get the optics mounted on it (waiting on the plate to show up). Can't wait to shoot it with the optics...this is my first one with them.

9. I get good deals on 22 ammo, well I got a great deal but had to buy 10k rounds. I probably avg 100 rounds a week just with that gun. I could run dirt through it and it won’t malfunction. I shoot more than I need to but having an indoor range between home and work is too convenient plus shooting at home, etc.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Looking for an HS 507 green recticle. If anybody sees a great deal over Presidents Day please post it up. It's for my Ruger Mark IV 22/45. I'm struggling with paying almost as much for the sight as the pistol itself.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If you want to save a few bucks and don’t need the big circle try the 407. If you want to go the other way I have a green 507 COMP GR I’m looking to part with.

12. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I have a Deltapoint Pro on a Buckmark, so I feel your pain... haha. Primary arms had Deltapoint pro's on sail for Presidents day for $329. I have a 507k in red, and like it a ton, more than the DP for anything I holster and/or conceal, but that giant window on the Leupold is niiiice on a 22.

13. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Worked the gun show this weekend and nobody purchased the Springfield Hellion we had. I couldn't let it go back in storage so it made its way to my house.:D

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Shoot me a pm with a $ if you want.

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Ran a white light 2 gun night match this weekend and learn a bunch more new stuff.

Want to see where some of your guns' riskier reliability weaknesses lie? Go shoot in 20 degree weather. Cold exacerbates a lot of issues. I had already identified the need for a lighter buffer spring as it was bordering on short stroking while running subs suppressed (3:00 ejection pattern, 1 FTEj, only engaging bolt lock on empty mag ~33% of the time). This was noted during the day in 55 degree weather. Middle of the night at 20 degrees, my gun turned into a involuntary bolt action. Luckily I had a couple mags of supers on my plate carrier and was able to do a quick reload mid stage to get it cycling on hotter brass again.

My buddy's P365 also suddenly started failing to go into battery and many other competitors experienced a variety of malfunctions as the night went on and it got colder. Good practice for malfunction clearing and problem solving under pressure.

Also learned how impactful smoke is at night under white light. Typically I'd engage close targets first then transition to farther but doing that with the further targets at 100+ yards, they become impossible to see due to the smoke from your gun. Especially on shorter barrels like what I was running (suppressed 9.75").

Once again though, tons of fun and learned a shit load. Can't wait for the next one.

Clay likes this.
  16. redtailracing

So who do you guys recommend for pistol shooting classes in the southeast? Would prefer to stay closer to TN, if possible but can drive a few hours if needed. The courses I'm aware of with a good reputation only offer a limited number of classes and it can be difficult to fit into my schedule so I'm looking to find more options and hopefully 1 or 2 of them are a better fit.

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Since you’re out competing I’d be asking around at the events. There’s a good possibility that some of the better shooters teach. Sometimes they’ll have a range day and invite you along.

Also buffer spring would be my absolute last choice. What you give up in spring pressure to allow full lock you also give up to allow loading. Gas volume and buffer would be where I would start.

18. redtailracing

That's a good point. I should have spoken to the dude slotted ahead of me in our squad this past weekend. Apparently he shoots for Trijicon and he spanked all our asses. The points gap from him to 2nd place was larger than from 2nd to 15th.

The reason for the buffer spring is that's where I suspect it's most out of spec from the manufacturer's intentions and within my ability to readily change. The upper was purchased as a complete unit and shipped with the manufacturer's buffer weight. I'm also guessing it was developed with their own .300blk suppressor, likely pushing more gas backpressure than my 762 mini but that's not something I can readily fix. In trying to stick as close to factory specs as possible, my intent was to get a lighter spring from sprinco and see what happens. Would really prefer not to tamper with the gas block or even dick around with buffer weights if I don't have to. I'd honestly buy a .300blk specific can before messing with the upper. If the lighter spring starts create issues with going back into battery then I'll step back and re-evaluate again.

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

AR 15 upper question....Is stainless steel barrel 'better' than chrome moly/nitride/phosphate barrel?

Looking at PSA for a 10.5" upper for the PSA lower w/binary trigger i'm picking up tomorrow.

20. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

What does “better” mean for you? If you want a more accurate barrel I believe a stainless barrel is better but it’s damn sure heavy. I’m probably wrong though and I’m sure somebody will correct me soon. If better for you simply means longer lasting are you really going to go through enough to shoot out the worst barrel. Cold hammer forged seems to be the big buzz word right now.

I have a relatively “nice” Sons of Liberty AR now, no CHF barrel but if I shoot it out he’ll upgrade me, but other than making my friends ooh and ah it doesn’t do anything better than my “cheap” PSA did.

gapman789 likes this.