1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airtech closing shop

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Check Glass from the Past store

2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

This sucks. I know some people/teams this will impact locally. Cant believe someone doesnt want to buy this biz. Move it out of Cali for sure.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And start building Bagger fairings!

KneeDragger_c69 and backbone like this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'm shocked he was still going, I haven't heard of anyone buying air tech stuff in 20+ years.

5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

It's way better than the other states. My bodywork had made in Mexico dyed into it, Cheap labor rates being so close to the border. Hot bodies, I think was the same.
    Either way..it's the end for many if not most 70s, 80s,& 90s sport bikes whom need race bodywork

6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

It's on I had the opposite Sharkskins went out of business, in other companies don't offer anything for vintage bikes mean speed used to do a lot of TZ stuff but they're gone too. Airtek is the one and only company in the world that manufacture such a vast array the Vintage body work.. every time I read a custom build on the Internet or a motorcycle rag it's always Air tech

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Old school gsxr and zx7 stuff you have to get from Europe. Jason Dunne aka fiberman on Facebook does the gsxr stuff .

Motoxpricambi.com does both i believe.

Motoforza does zx7

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

9. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Sounds like I need to buy gel coat, resin, and a bunch of poly mat... moulds aren't that hard or expensive to make... just time consuming if it's not a fresh set of bodywork for the process.

10. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I spent some time working in a race bodywork shop 20 some years ago. It takes talent to make quality stuff, and the grunt work wasn't much fun. Hard work for not much pay. These days, I imagine it would be very difficult to find employees willing to do the work, and the demand has collapsed. That's a recipe for extinction.

Once a Wanker.. and tl1098 like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My Kent Riches story: Years ago I bought a Gilera from the original owner’s son. His dad was deployed to Italy and brought the bike back with him. It’d sat in a dirt floored garage for decades. After his dad died, the guy started asking around for someone interested in such things, which is how he found me. I bought it and put it in my basement, for the next 15yrs. I’d decided I wasn’t ever going to restore it, so I listed it on eBay. The winning bidder turned out to be Kent. He had a racer/friend on his way back to the west coast swing by and pick it up. A couple years later, I get a finished pic of the bike. I could never envision or create such a beautiful piece of machinery. He and his crew do some pretty incredible work.

A84842F6-B97D-454D-963C-BB95992CD988.jpeg AA2048A3-C99E-4FC0-A0A2-DE428C512CB6.jpeg 800D69A1-1F38-44C1-AC47-8AB2B9B656CF.jpeg

12. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

I bought KZ stuff from them in 2018 and zx7 bodywork in 2021...but its probably true that you didn't hear about my purchases. :Poke::D

Attached Files:

13. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Tried to make one of their "Camber Daytona" fairings fit a CBX (Made my own tank and seat). Steamboat Vintage race weekend '93.

SCAN0152 (2) (753x1024).jpg

SCAN0149 (639x1024).jpg

Once a Wanker.., ducnut and tl1098 like this.
  14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Kent is an A1+ enthusiast who supported so many people, and so many projects.

stk0308, tl1098 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. Jon Bawden

Jon Bawden Member

Soon after Al Gore invented the internet I built a GeoCities page and I'm certain this image was on it. As a life-long TLR enthusiast, I'm pouring out some of my 40oz in honor of this lost homie...you know if I drank malt liquor, and IF someone had died, and even then it seems wasteful...can I put a pan on the sidewalk and pour in back in the bottle after the presentation? Asking for a friend.

Attached Files:

03RumbleBee and Dragginass like this.
  16. RS_NX5

RS_NX5 To finish first you must first finish - Ski

Anything about when exactly they would be closing shop? I heard on Facebook that they ceased selling RC45 fairings on the 15th of this month but does anybody have anything on when they would be closing? Sad to hear they're closing, a true tragedy.

17. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I called last week to order a set for an RS250 Cup They stopped taking orders last friday 2/16. Apparently I just squeeeeeeked in.
    Unofficial word is they are just stopping production, not closing shop. I don't know what that means and didn't get an explanation when I asked but they will still be around as some form of business.

Shenanigans and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  18. RS_NX5

RS_NX5 To finish first you must first finish - Ski

Ah I see, well at least they might be around in some form. Now I wished I would have known about this sooner and bought and most likely hoarded a couple of sets of fairings

19. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

You might still try. Don't know many that would turn away business if its putting $$ in their pocket. Esp a couple of sets worth.

20. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I sure hope Airtech sell all their vintage molds to someone.

It would be such a shame if this went to waste.

Maybe a British company wants them.