1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Painless Front Wheel Change

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JMileika, Feb 9, 2024.

1. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

Is there a setup available for a 2017+ R6 that allows you to remove the front wheel without having to take off the calipers? It seems counterintuitive since removing the caliper bolts, which are safety wired, would be required, thus having to re-safety wire it every time you want to change the wheel. I've noticed Fast Franks Racing offers a fender bracket that rotates, but their website states it won't work with stock calipers. I'm curious as to why. I could reach out to them directly, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a DIY option that doesn't involve spending $300 on these brackets, only to potentially have to shell out another $1000 on calipers.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Clearance. If you use 310mm rotors (from 06-16 R6) instead of the OEM 320mm rotors, OEM calipers will work, but you have to machine 5mm off the caliper bosses on the lower stanchions or off the calipers themselves so the pads line up with the friction surface of the (smaller) rotors and you get the clearance needed.

There are no other options that won't involve the same modifications. There just isn't enough space for the OEM caliper to clear the 320mm rotor and wheel.

3. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

Alright, thanks for clearing that bit up. As far as the fender mounts go, is that just for ease of keeping the front fender on while being able to pivot the forks? If I were to take the front fender off, would the fenders be free to pivot then, or is there something else holding it in place; what is so special about the FFR mounts that I can't do on an OEM setup?

I'm probably making it sound like I just need to look at the bike to find out but it's at a shop right now.

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I use safety clips wired together for my calipers. I also use clips for the pinch bolts at the bottom. No need for new safety wire for a tire change.

Once a Wanker.., gapman789 and BrentA like this.
  5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

They rotate. If the mounts don't rotate, they're in the way of the wheel change. And you won't be able to clear the wheel/rotor with the caliper anyway.

Why are you so willing to remove the four pieces of hardware that hold the fender on, but not the four pieces of hardware that hold the calipers on?

6. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

Because of the whole safety-wire conundrum. When I realized I had to cut it off to remove the wheel, I was saying there is absolutely no way this is what everyone does when they want to change their front wheel, so I must be missing something. But therein lies the solution that yamabomber provided so I i guess ill just do that and call it a day.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The two safety clips wired together works just fine for calipers. No fluid behind them and they won't rotate out far enough with the wired together clips on to cause any braking issues. The force on them is lateral so as long as 90% of the bolt is in, the brakes will work fine. Not that I would recommend testing that out, but it should in theory work.

Actually, I did sort of test that. :oops: After a quick rain / no rain tire swap, my brakes worked fine until I saw my caliper bolt bouncing next to me at Summit Point turn 9 at a track day. None of the track day orgs I rode with required wiring caliper bolts. I was very lucky I saw it and was early enough in the corner to throw my hand up, stay right and go to pit in using the rear brake. After that I wired them. Later I moved to the clips.

8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I use safety wire clips wherever they let me. I hate safety wiring. Wera is not strict at all on safety wire clips. Which I appreciate. CVMA is more strict on clips for some things (like oil drain plug) etc..

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Buy a clip bundle at https://www.kurveygirl.com/ or MotoD also sells the clip bundle. Covers everything you need even axle nuts. Different sizes. I use the smallest ones for the calipers. Medium size ones for the pinch bolts and most other things like radiator cap and oil drain plug if allowed. The pinch bolt clips are a PIA to align the drill holes perfectly. I mark them with a sharpie to when tightening the bolts they are straight using the line.

10. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

Yea, I think I'm just going to go the pin route. Thanks for that because I hadn't known it was an option. I did confirm they would pass tech with my org as well.

11. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

I heard someone in the states is doing a very nice custom setup for this.
    Very nice stuff from what saw.
    If you want it done right and clean….
    Maybe they will advertise.

I know it is not intended for bottom feeders..

12. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Just as a heads up. It looks at least in your profile picture that you possibly race NEMRR. You will have the check the current rule book but at least afew years ago the clips were only allowed on the front and rear axles. Other then them safety wire has to be used everywhere else

13. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience using the Fast Franks fender brackets with aftermarket calipers? Do any Brembo calipers work? Is it more of a pain trying to get the wheel into both sets of pads putting the wheel back on than it is to just remove the calipers?

14. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Sorry to butt in, but as a very green novice I'm very interested in techniques, do you have a picture? I have a large clip safety wired on my rear axle nut. Visuals make a big difference for me

15. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

Good eye, did the vanson give it away? I texted eric wood if it would pass tech and he said yes.

16. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

FFR website says “brembo monoblock,” but says other calipers may work. They just know monoblock works bc thats what they run.

17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Not the best pic, but pretty straight forward....Drill hole through caliper bolts, install clips, attach wire clip to clip. I add the rubber line for protection against wire rubbing on calipers.

GSXR calipers.jpg

19. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Perfect! Thank you

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Don't be cheap use best quality drill bits and if you think it's taking to long, put in a new one!