1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Weights

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sudden Braking and I spoke a bit ago and he's now on the right path

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Oh, so you’re to blame for his decisions going forward, eh? ;)

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well he missed a bunch and Jimmy BBS did too, so there's that

pfhenry likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

He's my life coach :D

TurboBlew and tl1098 like this.
  5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have nothing helpful to add, but if Stickboy balances your wheels the pirate duct tape gives better lap times. If he gives you the My Little Pony shit, he doesn't like you.

stickboy274, TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So in talking with il ragazzo delle gomme, he reinforced what Signore Turner said earlier in the thread about the beads setting equally. When mounting the front, the beads were a bit of a pain to get to set so that definitely could've contributed to the issue. However, I also rotated the tire 180* when remounting, so unsure how much that might've helped with reducing the need for wheel weights.

All that being said, the wheel is now perfectly balanced using.....................

No wheel weights? o_O

Anyhow, going to try spinning the rear and see what that does - have taken all the weights off and there's a clear heavy spot next to the valve (and had no issue seating the beads, so I'd rule uneven beads out as a cause).

Attached Files:

gixxerboy55, TurboBlew and turner38 like this.
  7. nowayout

nowayout Well-Known Member

So was there any truth to the bar code being the heavy spot on the tire?

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If its not true it worked for me for about 10 years regardless... : )

Brad likes this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

100% not true. There are no dots on michelins because they have a very high quality control and don't have a 'light spot' etc. I've been to Spain to their factory and been though the entire build process so I think I have accurate information haha.

backbone and TurboBlew like this.
  10. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Yep... And that was the Walt-way. I'd dare anyone argue his instruction for a Michelin tire!:cool:

TLR67 likes this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's pretty much what I was told by the Michelin race tire vendor in Canada when I was racing. Said they're all checked and if they aren't " perfect " they throw them in the grinder.

backbone and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah lube the tire up, so it will seat

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

he makes me "warm the bench"!! :)

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I loved mounting those... many didnt believe.

15. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

So you put the heavy spot where the valve is, or 180 from there?

16. Spooner

I believe on tires like Pirelli the dots are the light spot so you line that up with the valve stem.

17. Spooner

When I ran them when I raced I would always pull the wheel weights off before balancing like you're supposed to. But then I realized I almost always put the weight right back in the same spot. So then I started checking balance before removing them and I almost never had to rebalance the tire. It's pretty remarkable how accurate they are.

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

During manufacturing most tire companies place a bar code label near the bead. When the tire is put in the mold and is heated this label is permanently vulcanized to the tire. This bar code is more used while in the factory for various reasons then it is for product handling/warehousing later. And because it is applied during the building process well before it is even close to being finished I don't believe it could placed for marking a light/heavy point. Go google a "green" tire picture.

Whether a tire company adds the dots or they don't they are still doing quality control checks after the tire is vulcanized. These checks include visual inspection, trimming excess rubber flash from around the bead seating area, and sometimes trimming the rubber flash aka tread whiskers. Next they are checked for radial and lateral runout and balance. With each production run X amount of tires are pulled and then drum stress tested and for DOT approval spun up to verify they meet or exceed the speed rating.

As I've posted in the past there are standard engineering and manufacturing processes that tire companies MUST follow to be certified by ETRTO and USTMA. And to have ISO blah, blah certification that automotive companies require it's even more involved.

Want to learn about them then look up ETRTO and the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association formally know as the RMA?

But what matters the most is that the tire and wheel should be balanced as an assembly and where the dots go is irrelevant!

adding common sense to the beep since 2017

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  19. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I stopped balancing my wheels/tires on my race bikes years ago. Literally have had zero effects whatsoever. Never vibration of any kind ever and don't have tape on my wheels leaving sticky crap, or not sticking and worrying about weights flying off etc. You definitely could have adverse effects if you don't balance, but my gut is you'd have to be requiring multiple ounces before you'd feel anything on the bike.

We used to offer 'lifetime balance' for car owners who bought new tires and some old guys would come in literally every 30 days to get them rebalanced and almost EVERY time they 'needed' some kind of balancing. Never did I test drive a car before and notice anything though. The only time I noticed a bad wheel imbalance was when they required 2-3 oz or in big truck tires that would require HUGE amounts of weight to get balanced.

racer_11 likes this.
  20. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I can tell you from experience on a dual sport with unbalanced wheels,(beadlocks, causing the imbalance) the vibration isn’t how I expected it. It was smooth for a few seconds, then it would hop a few times, then go back to smooth. It wasn’t a constant vibration.