1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

We were shooting everything suppressed and then he ran the Staccato.....even outdoors, I just looked at him and said "that's just uncivilized".....:D Cans really do change what you consider "acceptable"....:crackup:

Serious question, what does
    SOT stand for?

RonR likes this.
  2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Special Occupational Tax. Basically, more BS regs to sell things that shouldn’t be regulated to free men.

RonR likes this.
  3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What Plarp said. It's the tax you have to pay to attach a class III license to your FFL for dealing with nontransferable full autos. I believe it also applies to destructive devices and suppressors (as a dealer, not the end user obviously) but I could be mistaken. I'm sure Ron knows far more than I do since he apparently has one lol. Couldn't help but notice that little 3rd hole on his lower.

My buddy run a brake on his AR and it drives me nuts. I just have a single .30 cal can for now but I do run it on all my rifles. Then he busts out his AR and it's literally the opposite end of the spectrum. So obnoxious lol.

RonR likes this.
  4. redtailracing

So how did the Canik measure up? If you had to rank all the pistols from that day, what does it look like?

gapman789 likes this.
  5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Soooo how did the Canik size up with the others?

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Ruger I think announced their PCC in 45 at the show. might be worth a look..

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Caniks are beyond their price point. Don’t see how anyone couldn’t like one. To me the loser on the table was my FNX. Bought it from a guy at a very good deal and it’s the big bro the the 5.7 but it’s feel is not good. Works dependably so with the ginormous can it’s a dedicated house gun once I remove the dot. Pistols like anything have their pros and cons so my favorite of the day might be entirely different from someone else’s. That said they were all fun to shoot.

8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

See above and I’ll add as far as striker fired guns go I see nothing negative about them. They feel correct in my hand and are very dependable so far. But I do prefer hammer guns.

So my picks would be the CZ for single double and the Staccato for single.

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

One thing I heard about the Holosun stuff- they had a bunch at the range day before the show and evidently none of the new stuff was working. So take the new stuff with a grain of salt, they seemed to be rushing some stuff to market and maybe not up to snuff. And no ETA's for the new stuff. Kinda like PSA. :)

Christensen Arms- I'd pass personally, too many horror stories on the local forum about their CS and junk guns. Buy a Bergara B14R and be happy. I did.

Will be interesting to see how the LMT pans out. Love my MRP and will get a MARS-L lower in the near future for it (mine is so old it's the Defender lower). Hopefully the QC can keep up.

PWS looks interesting concept but just not sure how well the modular stuff will sell. I have a few barrels for my MRP but just build new rifles in the calibers (6.8spc and 300bo) so I don't have to mess with changing things on it, even though it only takes a few minutes (two screws, swap BCG and mag if swapping to 6.8). Didn't catch if the UXR was long stroke piston but I assume it is as that is their specialty. Yes the upper is the serialized part of the rifle, so that helps. Love my MK216, and since the "AR10" platform isn't that standardized, this might be fine with more folks. Going from a shorter 5.56 to a long range 308/6.5CM might be nice for some. Will be intteresting to see the weight compared to a 5.56 and 308 platform. I assume it's heavier, but who know. I think a more apt comparison might be a modular SCAR instead of a modular AR?

10. gapman789

@Redtailsquirrel....there ya go....CANIK FTMFW!

If you're buying AR pieces/nuts/bolts for $1600, surely you can grab a complete $600 Canik Rival? :)

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I want to try an MG at night one time. It's probably not worth it but it's a sick fantasy to get all the hogs in a group. Maybe one day do the SOT thing and let it lapse or buy a transferable MG then sell it after i realize it's a waste.

I've shot all sorts of MG's and grenade launchers and know it would probably not result in many more down but one can dream. well the grenades would have done the real work.

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Well you know who to invite for such an activity. That would be checked off of two bucket list!

13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Fuck it - get to da choppaaaa! and bzzzzz bzzzz those little piggies.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Canik's definitely punch above their weight class when evaluating nearly every point of consideration where a handgun is concerned.

15. gapman789

I have a few Caniks.... I just needed affirmation about them from some of you experts. :)

16. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I’m def gonna hit them up. Thanks for that! It looks sick

17. redtailracing

Well that’s disappointing. And here I was hoping that their hammer fired would be significantly better than striker. I had at least decent thing about the fnx, though admittedly not great.

18. redtailracing

I don’t put a ton of stock in the horosun stuff yet. But it is interesting to keep an eye on.

what have you heard bad about Christensen? I did know bergara is supposed to be killer for the money. But I thought Christensen was still decent in its own right.

I’m sure the LMT pans out well. Their shit is always solid. Love both my MARS-L and MARS-H.

I’m conflicted on what I think of the PWS myself. But I like the innovation and am curious to see how it goes.

19. redtailracing

Never used them but they’re one of the few gun works spots I know of by name well. They are THE CZ guys. I wouldn’t hesitate to send one of mine there based on their reputation.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I just sent my CZ 75 P01 to them on Saturday. They sent me a copy of their FFL, and a FedEx label. I packed the gun and the FFL and work order in a zip up soft pouch I
    had with the gun and went to my local FedEx.

The staff at FedEx were excellent. Gave me a bubble envelope for the pouch, and a box..sealed it all in the box and they printed the label, stuck it to the box and I was done.
    I got an email notice that my gun arrived at Cajun today. Estimated completion date is March 27th...I'll get an email when it's on one of their gunsmith's benches.

Everything's been fantastic customer service.