1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Bummer, Just bought a case a few weeks ago (for $200+tax). FWIW I've used it in the past with no issues. Not hard to find Blazer brass for 24 cents these days though.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Duly noted......I probably look at and receive email/subscriptions to about 20 ammo places. I'm thinking about starting a separate email for gun shit only.....

I usually wait for RK to have a 9mm ammo sale and buy locally to avoid shipping costs.

I've about 4000 rds of 9 and 1500 of 556. I'm probably good on 9, but can't pass up a 'deal' to save my life.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Magtech, Remginton, & Winchester steel case were all so bad I'll never risk putting that shit through any of my stuff again. I personally have never had issues with Winchester white box and in fact, it was my go-to for years before I started buying more online (could grab it all day at Academy for pretty cheap pre-pandemic). However, I've seen enough bad from other people that I've decided not to risk it. Sellier & Bellot has also been fine for me in my limited use of it but just recently I've started seeing some people complaining about issues with it. Ultimately, the 3 I listed above generally have a good reputation, I can personally attest to tens of thousands of rounds in various calibers with solid reliability (between myself, shooting buddies in my presence, and 3 gun competitors) from these 3, especially in 9mm, and all 3 can frequently be had for 22-24cpr so I see no reason to even chance it on anything else.

4. redtailracing

Yea but if you shoot a lot, that can all disappear really quickly. I myself got caught off guard with that recently. Just a couple months ago realized I had dipped below 1k rounds of 9 and I remembered having 4-5k what seemed like just a few months prior.

StaccatoFan and gapman789 like this.
  5. gapman789

Right on....and to add, So far I've only bought/ran Blazer, Fiocchi, and Winchester....and some Critical Duty. (sparingly with those )

6. redtailracing

Heard good stuff about the Critical Duty. Personally run Speer Gold Dot but lots of people I trust run Hornady stuff, whether it's Critical Duty or Defense. Always struck me as odd that Hornady doesn't make normal range ammo 9mm. I love their rifle ammo, from frontier plinking stuff up to their match ammo.

7. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I’ve shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of white box Win. Never have issues ever. I really believe it’s how people are storing it. The only time I’ve ever had an issue was because I swapped springs on my firing pin doing a trigger kit. Put the OEM spring back in and never again.

still grab it from academy if I’m there, still shoots fine.

8. redtailracing

That's a good point. Given how accessible white box is, probably lots of people picking up a few hundred rounds, throwing it in their garage without real climate control, and 2 years later complaining that it aint worth a shit lol.

9. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I won’t speak for everyone, as my experience is anecdotal, but I’ve seen how people store their shit and it’s atrocious. Seen personal friends throw boxes of ammo in their truck and it sit under the rear seats for years, then they get around to shooting it. Of course they’ll have malfunctions or can’t get anything sub MoA, the temps of a truck will change 50° all year long lol.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I ran Winchester white box and had numerous issues. FTF, FTE, Stove pipes, chamber not cloing all the way... It was brand new ammunition and there were multiple guns that this occurred with. I use S&B, Blazer and Fiocchi now and have had no similar issues.

11. gapman789

I'm gettin' kind of tired of being delayed....of the (6) 4473's i've done since sept, I've had 1 denial, and 3 delays....All of which have gone through.

I just did a 4473 a few wks ago for a shotgun and nooooo problem.

Today I go to Vances Outdoors to buy a Springfield XDM Elite 4.5" 10 mm with the "gear up' pkg (includes a bag and (5) 16 round mags) for $549. 5 mins later, delayed. The guy thought it was going to be a 'proceed' cause it came back so fast. I wonder if the ATF/FBI have an 'instant delay' button when they are overloaded or backlogged with 4473's?

I know i could do a voluntary pin thing that takes about 8+ months, but I don't want to do it in fear of it keeping me from buying firearms during that waiting period.

I went ahead and paid for the gun in full, 250 rds of Federal 10 mm for $0.44 rd and 500 rds of PMC 223 FMJ BT for $0.40 rd. Couldn't beat the price and don't have to pay for shipping.

First time in a Vance's. I like it....Not crazy big like Cabelas or even Sportsman Warehouse. Just right, small townish, and a crap ton of weapons in stock. Big selection of used too. Looks like there are only 6 stores in Ohio.

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/288437

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Shot Show 24 is in Vegas this week, that would be fun to attend and see all the new hotness.

14. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The man. RESPECT!!

IMG_5865.jpeg

15. gapman789

PSA has some Armalite AR's on clearance, $700-900

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've never heard of "delayed" .
    Has the dealer explained what is going on?

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Fwiw when I go to my local shop and do the paperwork on his kiosk, he still has to call with the basic info, and when he is done he asks for the call back time. Sometimes it's 10 minutes sometimes it's 2
    Hrs. I usually go there on lunch so if it's longer than a few minutes I'll come back. I've had 5 minute approvals as well.

I wonder if it's a dealer thing instead of a shady Grady thing.lol.

18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Also he does tell them I have a permit to carry.

19. gapman789

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I started doing transfers 1/1/17. I didn’t have any delays until 2020. At one point during Covid 50% of my submissions were delayed. That died way down to almost none but lately it’s ramped up a little. You can call them in or do it online. I feel like I’m in limbo when I do it online but when I call it in I get an answer immediately. Im in MD so only long guns go through NICS. Handguns go through the state police with a 7 day wait.