1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Dehydrators

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Jan 13, 2024.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Anybody using one? Whatcha making? I have been trying to eat more Keto/carnivore. I saw a post from a guy making his own carnivore snacks from thinly sliced steak in a dehydrator. It got me to thinking of trying something like that. It's hard to find snacks these days that aren't full of sugar, shitty oils or other miscellaneous crap. Any recommendations on specific dehydrators or what to look for?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not using one but I have been looking at a Harvest Right for a while.

Cant you just make some jerky as a snack? If you use some curing salt it can be at room temp.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

We have one. Grab yourself a hunk of london broil, marinate it, freeze it, and then partially thaw it, slice it against the grain and throw it in there. Makes great beef jerky.

R Acree, wsmc42 and Sabre699 like this.
  4. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I slice it before marinating so every piece is full of flavor. Also, top or eye round works well too.

I think the Nesco round style dehydrator is pretty ubiquitous. I bought one years ago to dehydrate food to turn into lightweight meals I could just add water to in a mylar bag for mountaineering trips. It works well enough for the price. But it’s kind of a hassle, so I don’t use it for anything else. Besides jerky, dehydrated food isn’t really that good.

I have made jerky in the oven on lowest setting with success too. Skewer the meat on wooden skewers and hang them from the racks.

wsmc42 likes this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Good timing

I had a bass pro shops giftcard to burn up so just took delivery of a cabelas 12 tray dehydrator yesterday

Usually when I've made large jerky batches at my buddies we put it underwater in a bucket with seasonings peppers and salts for a day or 2.

Dehydrate it for a brief time, then throw it on the smoker for a short time.

After that we vacuum seal in lunch size pouches. Lasts for quite a long time in a vacuum bag. We cut them thick

You can also do some fish and fruits.

Have fun

wsmc42 likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn. I'm an idiot, I blame the cold. I read the title as freeze dryers...

I got the Amazon choice one a couple years ago. Digital timers, delay, temp, etc. Makes pretty good jerky.

wsmc42 likes this.
  7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

We have a cheap old Salton that's gotta be 15 years old I think I paid $40-50 for. It's still chugging despite the lid being broken, and not really staying on very well. Not much to them, a fan and small heat source. It gets used a bunch every year to dry garden excess (herbs, peppers, tomato etc), and to make some batches of jerky (eye of round marinated in various things). Always said I'd get a fancy one when this one breaks, but it just never does.

Look up the Alton Brown oven method to try it out first before buying anything.

wsmc42 likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have a Lasco; it came with five trays, I bought 12 more :D

It's great for beef jerky, chicken jerky, and dehydrating fruits (apples and bananas are both really good).

Attached Files:

wsmc42 likes this.
  9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Honestly, my (less than 4 year old) oven works just fine. It's convection, and holds 175'. I just smoked and dried (smoked outside in the cabinet/cold-smoke tube) a gross of jalapenos into chipotles, then ground them into chipotle powder for this year's production of Jalapeno-Cheddar sausages.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024