1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 ZX6R Quick Shifter

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fivestar, Jan 8, 2024.

1. fivestar

fivestar Member

I’m still using the factory Kawi QS unit on my ‘23. The bike is converted to GP shift, but the shifts are still pretty darn jerky and rough with the QS.

Thinking of picking up an FT ECU QS unit to replace the factory unit. Any experience using these? Or maybe I’m just expecting a seamless shift when in reality it won’t be..?? First bike with a QS so I have no prior knowledge. Just a street bike for now although I’d like to make it a track bike down the road.

Thanks.

2. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

On the ZX6R with a stock ECU a Woolich flash with racetools is the best option imo. Fully programable sensitivity and kill time. When its setup correctly upshifts will be almost seamless.

3. fivestar

fivestar Member

Ok, thank you. Woolich is one of the ECU shops I've been hearing about, as well as Moore Mafia and a few others.

Thanks again.

4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I believe Woolich is the better option. You can't adjust the shift times with a standard Flash Tune flash, you need the FT "race licence" at a steeper price.

My turner added a Power Comander 5 with an QS that also provided duel mapping.

5. fivestar

fivestar Member

Thank you for your advice. I'll look into them. I'm wondering if a tuner can somehow adjust the kill times with the factory unit, without going to an aftermarket QS unit.

6. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The stock sensor on the ZX6 will not work in GP shift (might be why it doesn't feel right).

I've built a few ZX6s for various customers with all types of ECU/QS combinations. The best I've seen so far is the Graves ECU with the FT sensor. That combo also seems to treat the ZX6 tranny the best.

7. fivestar

fivestar Member

Sorry, shoulda explained it a bit more…..I’ve got Lightech rear sets on the bike, which keep the same push/pull as stock, even in the reverse shift pattern. The QS unit does indeed work, as I can turn it off via the dash.

8. fivestar

fivestar Member

Is the FT unit that much better than the stock unit, in your experience?

9. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Ah Ok. I understand.

The stock sensor is ok but it has some "slop" to it and doesn't have that direct, connected feel like an aftermarket sensor.

FT had some issues with their sensors a while back but they seem to have that all figured out now. I haven't had any issues with their sensors since they updated them. The feel at the shift lever is much better than the stock sensor.

fivestar likes this.
  10. fivestar

fivestar Member

Very interesting. Thanks so much for the insight.

I’ll contact Graves then and go from there. Was planning on getting it flashed anyways.

DDK732 likes this.
  11. fivestar

fivestar Member

Contact made with Graves. Gonna have some additional work done to the bike, along with installing an FT qs unit. Graves will then do the ECU flash for the bike.

Now I’ll just have to figure out how to install this. Hopefully the harness stuff isn’t real involved…

Thanks for the help all.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  12. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

It's fairly simple. Plugs into the stock harness. It's about as "plug and play" as it gets.

fivestar likes this.
  13. fivestar

fivestar Member

Good to hear!

Thank you.