1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk Me Out of a Kramer

Discussion in 'General' started by Need_4_Speed, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The base model Kramer is a better deal than the ZX-4RR assuming you're buying new and prepping it. $16k new and the bike doesn't need anything is pretty damn nice.

Mike Fennell and 418 like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Who says they do? They might, but i thought their rise was more due to ease/cost of manufacture and packaging.

3. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I don't expect my 690 Kramer to have the same engine longevity as a stock inline 4 street bike engine. The bikes just aren't comparable. If you compare the baby Kramer to other high quality light-weight race bikes, however, think NSF 250R, TZ-250, various 125s, it is faster with equivalent riders, full size adults can ride it comfortably, and it requires much less maintenance. We had over a dozen 690 Kramers at the Barber Vintage Festival in October. Fast guys were running 1:33s, good enough for top 10 in Twins Cup. I raced 8 weekends last year (won AHMA SOS 1 Nat. Champ.) and all I did for the motor was keep fresh oil in it and check the valves a few times (takes less than an hour). Expect to do the same this year, and then likely replace piston and cylinder (less than $1000) if/when it starts to burn some oil.

AJ, JBall, Mike Fennell and 4 others like this.
  4. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't know why he makes statements like this that make no sense.
    Some V twins are reliable some are not, same goes for parallel twins.

6. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

My rider was 19 for 19 in sprint races last year until Barber on a 690. Same rider on a 660 is 1 t0 2 seconds a lap faster imo.

tl1098 likes this.
  7. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

So did ya buy it yet or what??!!?

8. Need_4_Speed

Need_4_Speed Well-Known Member

I got all confused by the talk of singles blowing up and forgot to make a decision.

motion, MachineR1, tl1098 and 2 others like this.
  9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have been roadracing a single (450 motard husky FS 450) for the last 6 season, 7th will be this year and have not had one issue. If you maintain and gear it correctly you will have no issues. I have raced Daytona, NJMP, Laguna, Barber, Heartland, High Plains raceway ect. Just because it blew up does not necessarily mean its not a good fit. A lot of people do not know how to maintain a bike or do not know how to race certain bikes.

AJ, grapemustard, 83BSA and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

If it helps, a buddy of mine has had 3 of the 690 based rides, a SMC, a Duke and now a Kramer, and while not racing now, he is pretty fast and also meticulous. He's pounded the hell out of them all with the only problem I recall is the duke broke a clutch basket after a few years, and that bike was out almost every session between him and his son.

Just do it and don't look back.

Although.... maybe get the 890. :D

AJ and tl1098 like this.