1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MK6 VW Golf TDi - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by bergs, Jan 6, 2024.

1. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

I'm considering going way outside of my normal path of vehicle ownership and am looking at a Golf TDi that is being sold with a CEL for diesel particulate filter.

The DPF issue doesn't scare me as I'm sure I can recondition it back to working order....or maybe it -should- scare me and I'm simply blissfully ignorant on the topic.

Generally speaking, is this a yay-mobile or a nay-mobile?

Any glaring issues to consider with this model?

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Almost any 'modern' diesel is going to have the same story - great cars/trucks except for the continuously problematic emissions equipment. I don't know anything about the GTi specifically, but I also find if you're willing/competent enough to work on your own vehicles, things aren't nearly as problematic as people who post a 'check engine light' with a 'HELP!' title on FB groups or forums make them seem.

bergs and Phl218 like this.
  3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Don't they have a really stupid design with the serpentine belt and the timing belt. Basically there is a gap by the balancer that if the serpentine belt shreads, it will get sucked into that gap and make your running belt jump.
    That's what happened to a friend of mine. $3500 later...

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

5. 418

418 Expert #59

If you plan to delete. Yes.

If not. Maybe. Maybe not.

Know a guy that has over 300K miles on his and gets a legit 50MPG. MK6 Jetta. Deleted.

6. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

Have a 15 Passat tdi m6 that has 300k miles. All the emissions stuff fell off at 160k. Timing belt/water pump services, brakes/rotors/tires, 1 wheel bearing & a clutch/starter at 272k. Been a rock solid car. Have drove halfway cross country 10 times or so. Wouldn’t hesitate to take off again today.

Also, I haul my zero turn, motorcycles, tons of construction supplies etc behind it. Trunk/back seat has had about 1500lbs of shingles in it multiple times. Stock struts :)

BigBird, Phl218 and 418 like this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

People are still selling...well advertising delete kits??? Brave MF'ers.

Not sure where the OP lives but in some areas shops wont touch...dont even bring it on the property type stuff...a deleted diesel. The effing EEEEPAHaa is F^*@*ing dudes raw with fines.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Yea some guy posted on Craigslist that his deleted truck was for sale and they sent him a fine in the mail.

Crazy stuff.

ChemGuy likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Diesel Brothers guys got a giant ass reaming as well

ducnut likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Radio will explode at some point, not poop out but go out in a shower of kick ass effects. Easy fix.
    Windows will drop into the doors when the plastic clips break. Easy enough fix but the fix involves new plastic clips.
    Plastic head lamp covers will haze over. Easy fix.
    What transmission is in it?
    Oil changes are pricey but if you can do it yourself. . .

really, most reliable Golf.

I won’t touch on the emissions shit. Do what you want in that field.

Edit: how much is it? That’s the deciding factor.

bergs and 418 like this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Something like 1.6 billion bucks fine for Cummins, a la the VW shit show.

13. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

What year is it? Proof of timing belt/water pump replacement? DSG or Stick Shift? A 2015 might still have dieselgate warranty left. My '12 wagon does as it was modified late enough. The CP4 fuel pumps seem to be time bombs, someone does make a kit to keep it from totally destroying the entire fuel system. There are CP3 pump swap kits you can get.

ducnut and 418 like this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Hotshots helps with the lubricity of the diesel (that's supposedly trash compared to what the Euros get) helping with the pump failures.

I run it in my 335d mostly for a peace of mind. No clue if it actually does anything but I know plenty of people that swear by it.

ducnut likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Great cars. My buddy likes his so much he bought his wife one also

Run the emissions until they start giving you major troubles , then toss em

This heavily depends on what state you live in and you'd better not forget that some day you'll have to sell that same car.

bergs likes this.
  16. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Rawtek is a canadian company. As of now you can purchase in Canada and have these types of products shipped over, but not to California.
    If you live there, you're having something fabricated on site.

BigBird likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The stuff is legit. I follow the topic and modern semi-trucks have data tracking in their ECM’s, showing regens. Running their EDT virtually eliminates soot issues in the DPF. There’s a fleet who left a truck idle for 8 days, thinking it would eventually go into regen, but, finally gave up. They issue pre-measured bottles, for dosing the fuel at fuel-ups.

PACCAR are known for injector issues, the last few years. It’s being attributed to a lack of lubricity in ULSD fuel. Those running EDT report not having any issues. My current and past employers don’t run additives. My current employer have 3 out of my location with constant issues. My previous employer have over 20 trucks down with injector issues. I surmise, the additional lubricity is keeping the injector pintle from pulling apart/breaking.

EDT can only do good things for the CP4.

ULSD and biodiesel are the absolute worst fuel for any diesel. If you buy a modern diesel, it’s worth it to buy Hot Shots EDT and carry a Ratio Rite and a funnel, so you can accurately measure it out. It’s even more beneficial if you buy your fuel from mom and pop’s place, where their diesel tank doesn’t turn.

bergs and BigBird like this.
  18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Hotshots is good stuff and we are a dealer for it. If anybody needs any of it. Let me know I can get a price on whatever you need.

ducnut and bergs like this.
  19. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

The car in question is a 2011, 6 speed.

The state I live in does not check emissions.

Based on the posts in this thread, it sounds like I'd be okay with owning a car like this. I mean, hell, I've owned plenty of turbo Subarus and didn't have the issues so many others have had so I can't imagine this car would be more finicky than the Subies.

ducnut likes this.
  20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Yep, just watch your serpentine belt is all!