1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another dirtbike question

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Hey, looking at getting back into dirt riding to do a few hare scrambles and also learn MX/jumps. I'm looking at a couple different bikes and just wanted opinions on which would potentially be the best all-rounder in the long run.

Bikes I'm currently eyeing:

2017 KTM SX-F 250 $3500
    2020 YZ250F $4500
    2020 KX250F $4400

All have the usual mods and appear to very clean and well maintained. I've owned a Honda CRF250 & YZ250, both were great with the YZ gaining the slight edge for me. Any advice is appreciated!

racer_11 likes this.
  2. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

IMO get two bikes if you are trying to do hare scrambles and hit some MX jumps. One bike is gonna be great for one or the other, or it will be half-assed at both. Ive got a YZ250x 2-stroke. Its based on the MX bike, but softened and de-tuned a bit for the woods. Its a great bike for single track, but its a bit to soft for big MX jumps.

Quick6RR, ToofPic and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I’d love to have 2 but I also have a roadrace bike so the funds are extra tight to make this work. You’d probably recommend the YZ?

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah just get the yz

Quick6RR and racer_11 like this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dont be a B^&*
    CR500.
    Ported to light switch power band.

:D

Wingnut, 969, dtalbott and 2 others like this.
  6. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Im a yamaha guy, so yea. But I have no experience with newer 4-strokes. My thumper bike is an 01 YZ426. It’s terrible in the woods, but its a fun bike in the wide open.

Quick6RR likes this.
  7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

There's like a billion page dirt bike thread on here

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

If you race enough harescrambles,you should eventually end up with a moto-x track thrown in there. I personally love the ktm's having worked at a dealership. The Yamaha YZ 250 would be my 2nd pic. I would pic one series and stick with it.The 2 strokes are gonna be cheaper maintenance wise.Also check service and valve adjustments intervals on any 4 stroke you get. Just my 2 cents Have fun!

Quick6RR and Once a Wanker.. like this.