1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by side's

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I did see an old thread about them, it was a few years old.

Thinking about one, but know nothing about them. Something more on the fun side of the model spectrum. Flat Florida sand forest roads, with some water crossings. Probably a 4 seater for "golf cart" duty.

- what brands to shy away from?
    - how many miles / hours do they usually last?
    - are they hard to make street legal (Florida)?
    - do you need to insure them?
    - what a decent used one go for?

Or should I just say f@ck it, and get a Jeep project?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They always seem broke if you do 'stupid guy stuff' aka fun stuff. And cost more than a decent trail rig.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Utility type sxs's are bulletproof. Hot rod's not so much.

Get one from a local dealer, even if it costs a little more so you don't have to deal with B's service and warranty if you have a problem.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Just say no to Polaris.

cav115, pjdoran, ducnut and 6 others like this.
  5. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Yamaha RMAX 4 about $20k used. Bulletproof, far better construction than others.

You'll need turn signals, tail lights, backup lights and mirrors to be street legal, maybe a windshield, all available. D mode switch option for Sport mode on the street.

cav115, pjdoran and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Pick the Japanese brand of your choice, with as much horsepower as you can afford.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This, I work on all brands and Polaris don't last like the Jap stuff. They're good for shop work if you want to help support your local dealer.

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Similarly, as a guy that sells parts for this stuff, I sell a LOT more Polaris parts haha. I'm a huge fan of the brand as I definitely make some money off those guys haha!

Once a Wanker.. and Banditracer like this.
  9. Critter

Critter Registered

I know way too much to type, feel free to PM me and we can talk later in the week. I have all kinds of data on this one, about 10 years worth. If you are in the east stay away from the 4 seats they are way to big and bulky for out here.

In short here is the run down all on the sport side or kinda sport side
    1) Polaris = nope never, ever, could not give me one. don't care about the model, just NO, unless you like buying parts for something and recalls.
    2) Can Am == X3 == OK all around unit. but has a belt drive and can have trouble early on if bought new but all around not bad. The new R is unproven at this point
    3) Honda == Best all around unit but does have a DCT so going back and forth between drive and reverse quickly to rock your way out of mud will blow up the trans so don't get stuck, also don't bury it in the mud and water above the intake it will take on water. but super reliable.
    4) Yamaha = YXZ = nope not for the east pure race model but hella fun in the west!! === RMAX is doing OK but a little slow and under powered compared to the others
    5) Kawasaki = KRX= This unit is a brick shit house for a chassis, but they do not sell a frame so do not smash it too hard, but the CVT over centrifugal clutch seems to be doing well, and people like them. the four seater is a bitchen unit with the best seats of the group.

now if you don't want to go blasting around then take a look at some of the NON pure sports like the commander or the maverick sport then if the trail is big enough just get a cherry little Jeep XJ, drop 40K in it and it will smoke the balls off of any SXS and you can drive it on the freeway.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I know nothing about sxs and have only spent maybe 20 minutes combined in any of them but Steve Austin (wrestler) races and is sponsored by Kawasaki. :D

gimme a hell yeah! :crackup:

11. Critter

Critter Registered

I have 6 of the things and enough repair look up data to make someone silly

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

For a 4 seater that isn't school bus length, the Kawasaki Teryx 4 is a good option. Not the fastest, but reliable as hell. Still has a dump box too.
    I have a Textron Havoc X. Great machine but not much aftermarket for it. 100hp, has great King resevoir shocks with a huge cargo space and great towing capacity.

13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Impractical, need a car hauler type trailer, to go ANYWHERE with it, cheaply made but, expensive as hell to buy, and maintain, no fuel range, get a small jeep, roxor, suv, with more creature comforts... Unless you are rock crawling. These things are just stupid to me! So, you have a dune buggy, you drive on the wide trails, dirt roads, paved roads, and trespass on snowmobile only trails... Yeah you are cool. SMH. All I can tell you is, you better insure it like an automobile because, if you are at fault, and have no real type of insurance coverage, you are going to be sued into oblivion by the whambulance chasers. Ski

YamahaRick and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  14. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Wow! All good advice in here, I dont have much to add. Yes to Japanese, no to Polaris! For the cost of a SXS, Id rather build a small trail-rig. My preference is Toyota, but if you must, then fine, get a Wrangler. Reason being for $20-$30k, you could build/buy a pretty capable off-road vehicle that is already street legal and reliable to drive you and all your gear to wherever you want to play.

15. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Probably won't be popular opinion here,but my buddy bought a cfmoto 950 a year ago,and it's been great.Think they make some KTM engines.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  16. zertrider

They are clearing their brand new Uforce 800s up here for $10g right now. Which is a killer deal.

17. zertrider

I don't totally agree. Without these things, snowmobile trails wouldn't get put in. And I have done a good amount of riding that a Jeep etc would have been a horrible ride (not as compliant suspension) or wouldn't have fit through the trail. And yes many of those trails are sled trails in the winter, but multi use during the rest of the year

18. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I dont totally agree either... We have had sled trails since the 60's long before any atv/sxs was thought of. If your trails are wide enough to get a groomer & drag down, it is wide enough for a jeep, size smaller suv. The trails will get put in, cut, trimmed and groomed with sleds or a groomer. Now, is it easier in SxS, and atvs to get preseason work done? yep. But, to utilize them as recreational travel, touring units, in almost anywhere but, dunes, or desert surroundings, just doesnt make sense to me... Unless utilizing for working purposes. Ski

19. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I bought this one a few months ago for $28,000, 2022 Can Am X3 XRS 200hp

I used to think a Jeep was a better option. A Jeep can go almost all the places this Can Am can go, just a hell of a lot SLOWER!

On trails where a Jeep would go 8-10 mph, I can take at 45-50 mph IMG_5416.jpg

Bugslayer likes this.
  20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

You're not lying.....but.....I bought my '18 Polaris XP turbo new in Jan '18.
    I'm still running original belt, original wheel bearings, clutch, axles and would probably have original BJ's in it but i put 2" forward A-Arms on it a year ago and put new BJ's in them.

My machine is not stock either. I got as much in it with aftermarket accessories as I paid for it....$16,500.....It's got eeerrryyythang but a stereo/speakers. Who needs to hear that shit.

I haven't broke anything in the mountains and hills of TN and KY...And this may sound silly, but the biggest contributing factor to not breaking shit for me is that i dont DRINK. Alcohol + SxS = broken shit instantly, no matter the mfg.

Bugslayer likes this.