1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2023.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If you like watching people crash, well, we differ in that respect.

koth442 and Skter505 like this.
  3. AndrewG725

AndrewG725 Well-Known Member

when I was 12 years old watching NASCAR crashes were definitely my favorite thing I think. The average person loves watching crashes. That’s why there’s many motorcycle crash video reels on Instagram with millions of views and likes vs a few thousand on the average MotoAmerica post.

if you can’t put on an entertaining show that draws people’s attention how will you get sponsors? Racing is an entertainment sport. If you remove the entertainment nobody cares.

furthermore, competition in entertainment in general is ever growing, sports, video games (which just keep getting bigger) limitless tv shows and movies, social media etc

the real question is how do you convert a bunch of 12-21 year olds doom scrolling tiktok for an hour to spend an hour watching MotoAmerica?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    418 likes this.
  4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Monster trucks are always ending up flipped over or rolling on their sides and fans seem to eat it up.
    Tractor pulls are neat, but seeing big motors pop seems to get a extra crowd response.

Circacee and AndrewG725 like this.
  5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If it's not a bad ending I'm ok with it if it gets butts in the seats.

Pretty sure there was a crazy animated story about that crash when the rider got back to the pits. They should have included that

6. nowayout

nowayout Well-Known Member

It's definitely a losing battle to get people into motorsports now. I watched since I was a kid cause I also rode. It started with supercross. Now it's getting too expensive for new riders.

I think supermoto racing would get young peoples attention. Jumps, berms, and wheelies, thats what they want to see.

Maybe getting younger people in to track riding would help draw them to watching racing. But as I said it's expensive compared to the hobbies they have now.

CLM81 and AndrewG725 like this.
  7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Skateboarding, BMX, snowboarding, and most other "extreme" sports have crash reels. I think it's mainly to drive home the actual consequences of getting something wrong. This builds respect/admiration for the participants in the viewership. Or just the "whoa gnarly dude!" aspect of it. Either way, it gets attention.

backbone, AndrewG725 and 5axis like this.
  8. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

FWIW I have buddies who are HUGE motorsports fans, watching Indycar, IMSA, F1, feeder series races for all 3. The kind of people taking the family 3-4 times a year just to spectate. They will not watch bike racing because they don't want to see someone get hurt or die.

9. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

It has a ballistic missile for an engine and seems to do well at pretty much every American track now. You can buy a top-tier turn key bike from Alpha. ~$50k for a brand new STK1000 machine. They used to advertise a turn key superbike but don't anymore.

henry_carlson and AndrewG725 like this.
  10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

How many people can relate in any way to F1? Essentially none, yet it is popular worldwide. While participants of a sport at a lower level are a natural audience, nearly everyone deep down has an appeal for competing, taking risk, and winning. Most won’t actually experience this except through being a fan of sport. I think the old Wide World of Sports intro captured the core elements pretty well. “The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the human drama of athletic competition.” Convey these elements to the audience and people will watch. Turn it into too much of a show directed by non-participants removes that deep down appeal IMO.

Gino230, AndrewG725 and Chazzz like this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people think they can relate to F1 as the cars still have two pedals and a steering wheel. The casual fan doesn't realize that they probably couldn't get the car started or make the first corner in one.

5axis, koth442, MrGooch and 1 other person like this.
  12. L1MTD

L1MTD Active Member

Almost none of the new fans into F1 the last few years actually care about the cars or racing at all.

It’s the “Selling Sunset” of Motorsports. They love the drama from Drive to Survive.

At least this is my experience from co-workers etc that try and talk to me about F1. If you text them during a race or even day of, they always seem to be busy that day and “will catch the next one”.

13. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

People are attracted to big / popular things. The herd mentality is strong. I suspect F1 has that going in its favor. If you figure out how to get motorcycle racing to that critical mass to start snowballing, you would make a billion dollars. Maybe not a billion, but at least $3.50.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I agree. I didn’t address that, but wanting to do what the herd is doing in a social media world is significant. That’s why the ‘famous’ people are shown walking the grid, or the NFL camera during a Chief’s game swings to what’s her face every time her boy toy does anything relevant. I find the connection to famous people a huge turnoff, but apparently it brings the sheep along.
    Things like Drive to Survive do connect to the human drama of the sport though.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You must watch TMZ as well. Same demographic target.

16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

FLO4LAW
    Ben Smith
    Bobby Davies

Not sure if it’s SBK or STK1000.

Namarow likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Namarow, koth442 and Chazzz like this.
  18. Jordan Diggs

Jordan Diggs Lifelong Back Marker

that’s really not a bad price relative to the turn key Supersport bikes being 45k

19. AndrewG725

I’ll take the target demographic that makes racing a billion dollars, please.

koth442 likes this.
  20. AndrewG725

45k from who? Even for Graves that seems high, I thought it was more like low 30’s on their website.