1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight question, fzr600

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Dec 21, 2023.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I have an fzr600 that I will be racing some in 2024 in vintage. I have raced it several times and it is a decent bike. It's stock except for a slip on muffler.

I'm interested in getting it lighter without spending a lot of money. I have taken the lights off and took the passenger seat off and replaced it with an aluminum cover.

In general, how much can I get off it with what I've done plus other stuff like cutting off brackets, and maybe putting on a smaller race fairing and the like?

Also is it worth gutting the wiring so it just runs, charges and starts. It's carburetor so there is not a lot of magic but it does have a bunch of wiring.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My 400 had a stripped down to the bare minimum harness, no charging even. SUPER light and easy to work on as it was only a few wires total. Lithium battery and a bigger Optimate charger in the pits to top off between sessions while on warmers and it never gave me any trouble. Depending on the rules, maybe go to a 400 frame to save some weight there as well?

dave3593 likes this.
  3. dave3593

Does anybody have a 17 inch rear wheel for these? Mine is a 1990 and it has an 18 x 4 rear.

4. dave3593

So did you go as far as taking off the flywheel? Did removing the charging give you a little power?

I know a guy that took the flywheel off his 1000 and he said it noticeably revved faster.

I'd like the aluminum frame but I think V6HW requires the stock frame.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The FZR has a steel swingarm and subframe that could be changed to AL. The front forks are heavy and by switching to later model forks you can get lighter weight and better brakes. Swapping out swingarms should get you a 17" rear wheel.

dave3593 likes this.
  6. macbook

macbook Well-Known Member

BDK in the UK has a few parts for the fzr400 (but fit the 600). Modern wheel sizes & upgraded suspension will get the best results.

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Change the subframe on a 600?:confused:

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

They'll need a saw to do that.

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Superbike rules.

10. stickboy274

The 600 doesn't have a separate subframe. You can cut the frame and build a new one, but there isn't anything to unbolt.

dave3593 and kenessex like this.
  11. racr991

racr991 Well-Known Member

Ive got a couple bandit 400 17x4 wheels that according to google are an easy swap and a gsxr 4.5x17. $30 and shipping each

britx303 and dave3593 like this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Swap to a 4.5 and your tire options expand huge!

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I thought Speedwerks had an SV wheel conversion that worked well too?

14. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

Could you just stick that 600 motor in a FZR400 rolling chassis?

15. stickboy274

Switching to TZ wheels is the way to go. Honda F3 or SV wheels would be the cheap donors.

16. britx303

B-stone still have that 18” that a couple of us were using just a couple years ago? I can never remember the model name/number, but it was GOOD!

SBKBee and dave3593 like this.
  17. dave3593

That is what is on it now.

britx303 likes this.
  18. dave3593

WERA requires the stock frame in V6HW but I like the discussion and ideas.

19. britx303

If your fzr600 is still mostly stock, I’d accept it for what it is weightwise, aside from maybe a go cart aluminum fuel cell, aluminum fairing stay etc. things like that. And wouldn’t start hacking up the rear subframe area……me personally. I can give you a frame if you want to hack away. I unfortunately just sent 2 frames to the recycler as part of my mass cleanup. Still have 2 more 600 chassis, and those were cutoff from etc. At that point though you might as well get a 400 frame and go ground up build. Imo

dave3593 likes this.
  20. britx303

V7 m and h with the 400/600 though