1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking pool pump

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 2, 2023.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Current issue is no longer a dead short. Old motor is seized and would trip the breaker instantly.

Currently the new motor will run for 5 seconds then trip the breaker.

Still leaning towards shit ass new motor pulling more amps than it's supposed to

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Get the old pump rebuilt.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

in my 22 yrs at my house with a pool, i had the pool pump motor replaced twice. both times i just "called a guy" that does pool pump replacements, referral from my pool cleaning guy. does good work, gets the right motor, no muss-no fuss. costs a tad more im sure than DIY but...
    no info to relay from what's been posted, cause.. i'd have no darn idea what to do. LOL

5. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You fix the issue by renting a skid steer and having several dump trucks of dirt delivered. Guaranteed to fix the problem permanently.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

This ^^

Meaning, this is what I'll do in the future. My pool pump stories could fill a few paragraphs. If there was video running, It would look like one of those fail reels the kids watch on YouTube.

Just last month I "successfully" fixed a leak in the pool pump plumbing, only to have the whole pump housing explode and spray water all over me, soaking me instantly. All while I'm reaching for the 220 breaker to shut it off. And that was only the latest chapter in the Pool Pump Diaries.

If we include time clocks and associated wiring, my record really goes to shit.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I also want to concur that ensuring you bought the same HP pump that was in there before. 3/4 or 1HP motor. I always take a picture of the old wiring too before I disconnect for the new pump. Also, make sure you use schedule 80 pipe for the inlet and outlet of the pump (gray PVC) as its high temp rated. If you use schedule 40 (white) when the motor heats up and cools off it will start to leak at the outlet of the pump. Buy a 1 foot 2" schedule 80 riser (threaded on both sides) then cut it in half and plump your piping into that with pvc tape.

If you did get a higher hp pump, you need to make sure the 220 is there to support it.

aaronson likes this.
  9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

What Chinese pool pump is it? Web link? I went through 2 and I'm on my 3rd piece of shit Chinese pool pump this year.

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Jeez guys.. Bite the bullet and buy a reputable pump. Pentair is amazing. You dont have to have the variable speed. I had a wholesale account and I get them for around $400, but Amazon was almost the same price. When selling them this is the reason installlers charge so much as they could no longer make any money on the pump when the customer would just say "well I can get it online for xxx" Well have fun installing it then... And here we are.. lol

MachineR1 and MELK-MAN like this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The cheap comes out expensive.
    Sometimes it pays to just hire a pro to do the job.

12. notbostrom

No name ching chong pump but the name brand pumps are all made in China also

13. notbostrom

Tell me how a variable speed pump does anything. If I need to move x amount of water to change over 10k gallons won't slowing the pump just make it take longer thus more run time?

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

We are on the same page. Not only did I own a pool cleaning biz, but I also just sold a house with a HUGE pool. I dont see the value with the variable speed pump. I am a fan of buying an energy efficient pump EE and running it when the sun is out. 4 hours for winter, 6-8 in summer. You get an EE Pentair pump for under $500 on amazon. Will last you 10+ years if you dont run it dry too many times. If your original pump was a pentair then I would have just replaced the motor and the impeller rebuild kit and good to go. The variable speed is a gimmick to charge 3x times as much for a pump. still draws energy even at slower speeds with not getting the benefit of really moving water. Clean water is moving water any pool man will tell you that.

15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I was told/sold the pool heats quicker when the VSP is on a low speed rather than high speed. Theory was the slower the water, the more time it spends near the heating element and therefore comes out warmer. Apparently, that’s a myth. Oh well. It’s a 3 year old Pentair and, hopefully, the next time it needs to be replaced it will be someone else’s problem.

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Power usage is not linear with RPM. It costs more per unit volume to move water faster.

17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

We are talking about two different things. Yes heating water is faster with less movement. But we were talking about filtering water. more flow is better filtration.

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind spending an arm and a penis to ship it, there's a reputable place right by me in Wyandotte, MI and they do pool and spa pump rebuilds all day erryday.

Been around 25+ years. Have them put a baldor motor on that fucker and be done with it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Putting in a bigger pool pump isn’t really a good idea, it’s quite expensive on the electrical cost. Plus there’s so many variables to consider, pvc size at the equipment , how many pvc elbows were used (they restrict water flow) sq of the filter , what style of the filter (sand , cartridge and DE) , extra features added to the pool equipment like heatpump, gas heater , solar , salt system, chlorinator . Last things to consider, is the pool screened in or open , does it have a spill over spa and floor cleaning system with pop up heads . A bigger pump will move a lot of water, but at a cost . The average size pool pump is 3/4 to 1 hp . Running a 1hp pump for 8 hours a day, 365days will average around 40 to $45 a month . I’m talking about Florida , usually the cost of running a pool pump will get lost in the electrical bill because everyone runs their AC down here . You can actually figure out , how much your pool pump is costing you per a day . The new digital electric meters on the side of the house, is a good tool to use . Make sure there’s no activity going on inside the house, cooking, showering and turn the AC off . This keeps the meter from fluctuating. With the pool pump running, read the kw reading on the meter . Write that number down and turn the pump off and wait a few moments and write down the Kw . Take that number and minus that from the Kw reading with the pump running. That’s your Kw for running the pool pump . You should be able to figure out how much you pay per a KW off your electrical bill . Florida is around .12 cents. Or you can look on the label of your pool pump , take a amp rating and times that with your voltage . Example , 1 hp pool pump 220v x 7.6 amp =1672 watts . Take the wattage number and put it in this calculator https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/estimating-appliance-and-home-electronic-energy-use this will get you in the ballpark on how much your pool pump is costing you . BTW, when I’m installing a variable speed or a 2 speed pool pump . My wattage for those is around 300 watts , running 24 hours a day , at low speed . I try to average my customers to 20 the $25 dollars a month on electrical cost . Again , there’s many variables that must be addressed ,before installing a variable speed or two speed pool pump .