1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck just tried to kill me & dalt

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Yep. I saw that 50 year small town info.

Your truck your money...hope it gives you peace of mind:clap:

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

3. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

A Harley "death wobble" cost me 4 teeth and a lot of skin back when I was 18.

tl1098 likes this.
  4. Used2befast

I thought i was 1 second away from death after the gixxer death wobble. My friend riding next to me on his brand new ZX-9R had a new respect for suzuki's :D

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

The damper is just a bandaid.

6. Used2befast

Bandaid or no bandaid...you get to choose but the dual stabilizer kit will give the steering some added wobble resistance.

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

The truck has worked flawlessly for 220k miles. I think thats a more than fair amount of time for stuff to wear out. Especially the use it gets. You're hung up on me going to this place with excellent reviews and feedback, plus talking to them face to face and seeing with my own eyes. But hey, Im sure you read on the forums somewhere that anything over $500 is a rip off.

8. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

220,000 Florida miles and it needs 4k in work?

That doesn't sound right, IMO.

My 2010 Tundra currently with 267,000 New England miles doesn't need that much work in total and that truck is always attached to a trailer, either dragging equipment or a dump trailer.

I thought about an F350 once the Tundra died but this thread is somewhat concerning..... steering bushings every couple years?

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That’s ok. You’re allowed to be wrong. :beer:

10. Used2befast

I got no hang ups with any of those things you mentioned and the mom n pop doing the work are most likely stand up folks. And they may have a few tricks up their sleeves. That being said I...ME...wouldn't rush down to any shop and say replace everything at the tune of $4200.

My question is...If a new truck with steering bits that isn't worn goes into a wobble and Ford issues a TSB-recall (remember i mentioned FIL's 2017 F250 with 85k) because of the wobble issue my engineering mind may want to do more of a root cause analysis and some preventive action. That's all my friend.

Hope they get 'er fixed up quick.

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

12. pickled egg

Your engineering mind is using a tool of the marketing department to assign fault? :crackup:

Why do manufacturers issue most TSB’s? Because consumers are feckless fucking idiots believing that turning the key and putting fuel in when the little orange light on the dash comes on is all that a vehicle requires to be safe, operational, and providing a level of comfort not even La-Z-Boy can deliver.

Ever wonder why the oil pressure “gauge” reads the same immediately after an oil change and 10,000 miles and two quarts low down the road?

Because the “gauge” presents a value to the “consumer” that they expect to see so long as the oil pressure falls within a VERY wide range of “acceptable” values.

That’s why I have an actual electromechanical oil pressure gauge in my diesel, that shows that the factory gauge doesn’t change one iota between the 20psi hot and 90psi cold that this motor produces at 340k miles.

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Lol. "good explanation of one problem" It`s a really intelligent description of what happens.

Been fixing them for almost 50 years, so.....

Correct about idiot people, but some problems are real as seen over and over, even with trucks with low mileage/ good components.

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

A brand new truck that has 20k miles, but that guy is a logger (yes I have a friend down here who works for international paper) anyways, driving logging roads will wear shit out no matter the brand. These are heavy trucks and get abused. Im actually not upset at the price as I KNOW FOR A FUCKING FACT the truck has well serviced all my needs thus far and after this should continue for miles to come. Hopefully.

cav115 and pickled egg like this.
  15. Used2befast

I'd say your barking up the wrong tree. (only because I work in the engineering dept of a large company) we don't even know where the marketing cubicles are hehe

I know what my oil pressure is every time I start my truck. As well as a host of other parameters :D Screenshot_20231130-093353.jpg

16. pickled egg

Trust me, I know. I had pre-American axle and post-American axle HD Ram trucks. I’ve pounded in a LOT of ball joints in the post-02’s at 80k+ miles, while the Dana axles just keep chugging.

I also recall pounding in a lot of ball joints in square body GM’s with similar mileage.

The “death wobble” in most circumstances is a symptom of worn components of a design necessitated by the “consumer” demand for a truck that doesn’t drive like a truck. Multipoint axle suspensions and the lack of a drag link create a lot more pivot points for oscillations to begin and exaggerate. That’s why the Ram “new design” steering components use a full length drag link instead of the OE multipoint steering. I’ve had death wobbles on mine and I even broke a tie rod end once…and it was entirely 100% due to me running worn components a mile or two longer than I should have. ;)

17. pickled egg

Maybe @Robby Bobby can give you a referral to have your oil pressure problem looked at. It shouldn’t be zero even when you’re only driving 12mph. :Poke:

18. Used2befast

It was demo mode because I don't tap text and drive :Poke:

19. pickled egg

Oh. So it was imaginary.

Like a factory oil pressure gauge. :moon:

20. Used2befast

Yep, and I probably imagined that I rebuilt or un-engineered (is that even a word) my engine using Texas Speed and Engineering DOD delete kit ;)

Funny how oil pressure can be tied to the weakest link (o ring on a scavenge tube) and yep I replaced that before I buttoned her up.