1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost keys

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Where's the last place you remember having the key?

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Safes are his specialty side item. It's not like the movies with a guy listening with a stethoscope, its drills and tools. The specialty part is knowing where to drill.

I'll send you his contact info.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Spiral out dude…

I’ve still not warmed up to any of the intermission songs… I understand they’re meant to reset your pallet(sp?) by changing your recognition sequences but still I’m ready to rock! No need for a reset between rocks :D

4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

my ancient Prius won’t shut up about the key battery being low! :D I’ve left without the key after changing clothes with it on and didn’t get far… can’t remember how far but it went into a low mode like when on full EV and limited the speed to like 30mph until I went back and got the key… probably fairly smart for a 2010 model…

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Popped a head gasket yet?

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’m almost scared to reply to that afraid karma might bite me in the ass 254k very neglected miles… 3 deer, an elk, two ass packings… I love this thing…
    … no trouble at all and it’s had a very embarrassing maintenance schedule since it started burning half the amount of oil required for the oil change between changing… I mean if you’re adding a quart every 2k miles anyway it’s the same as changing it right? :D

pfhenry likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

That’s impressive. When you start it and take off and it moves from battery to the engine first starting, does it shake or run rough at all?

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

damn it!!! I knew not to talk about it!!!!

Actually it just tarted idling rough like you described only when it’s cold…

I’ll go old school on its ass and put some water glass in it! If it’s a head gasket issue… and man when it goes it can go… I won’t spend anything on it… just like I haven’t for the last decade… I didn’t change the brakes until 2021! And nothing but gas and oil since I built it for the Powerwing prototype… it had 3k miles on it when I bought it totaled and rebuilt it…

9. Boman Forklift

Yea, that was the start of it. I thought it was spark plugs and realized my wife had them changed the year before. Sol I took it to the dealer, because they shouldn't be bad already, so the dealer told me he thought it was a head gasket. On this model of Prius they usually go bad between 130-160K and mine was at 185k. He pressure tested it and stuck a camera in there and you could see a little coolant bubbling through. The dealer wanted $4-5k for the repair and I said no thanks. I thought about doing the Blue Devil head gasket stop leak stuff, and it may have worked? Instead I just had one of my guys pull the head and put in new gaskets and head bolts. I think he logged 17 hours and that included the you tube video he watched to make sure he was doing it right. Gaskets and bolts were about $400.

Another friends went bad at 130k ish and he dinked around too long and it bent at least one rod too. The Toyota dealer said it is common for the rods to bend if you keep pushing the problem. So pour in that gasket sealer soon.

**EDIT** My sales guy, who used to run his own transmission place, said mechanics he spoke with say K-Seal is even better than Blue Devil. Good luck

27 likes this.
  10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

cool, thanks for the info man… really helpful. I’ll get some in it… the car has paid for itself ten time over by now… every time I drive it is another win… it’s actually the first Toyota I’ve owned as all the others went back at the end of the season or were promo vehicles… I had no idea a brand could be so good… I was driving a new Mercedes when I got the Toyota deal and thought Lexus’ were cheap junk… how wrong I was… I even seek out ones I like now… like the Solara convertibles I have one of those in rotation with 200k on it… I just changed the plugs… for the first time in anything since 2001…

Water Glass is Sodium Silicate and you can get it at pharmacies and feed stores… it’s used to seal fresh eggs to make them last up to 18 months… fresh as new… they only wash and bleach and refrigerate eggs in the US so they rot… seriously…

the other sealers you mention are probably better… I’ll look into them… but in the 70s we used waterglass…

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Never heard of water glass before ….

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I had to look it up to make sure it was a decipherable name and not some crazy halfbreed hillbilly name… seems legit… Sodium Silicate… besides the egg use I’m not sure what else it was for… something homeopathic I’m sure as we got it at the real pharmacy with the soda counter and the 4th generation potion maker always on site…

It was in a glass bottle wrapped in brown paper, like Lee and Perrins Worcestershire sauce… said “Water Glass” and had some eggs pictured… I was a kid in the 70s but remember it being around still when I started driving on the roads legally in 87

I put it in a 78 Bronco with a 351M that always fouled the 5 and 7 plugs… it leaked everything everywhere so I was throwing everything at it… was bad valve seals and those engines pooled oil at the back of those heads that seeped in when you parked it… gunking those two plugs… why in the world do I recall all this shit?!? :D

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

They drove this thing 200 miles with no key in it at all.

That can't be safe

14. Boman Forklift

Never heard of water glass either, but it could be better than the commercial stuff?

I do know if you are in a bind and need a temporary fix for a radiator leak, black pepper in your radiator will work. Had one of my mechanics teach me that and successfully used it at the race track with another racer.

27 likes this.
  15. backho

backho Well-Known Member

K Seal for the win! Works like magic!

27 and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Can he make a key or at least open it so the batteries can be changed without damage?

17. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

If it has a key he probably can make a replacement. I think safes usually do not have a key and are done differently. Give him a call and he will bore you with the details.

Good luck!

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Update:
    The keys this place made to the code worked fine.

Also if you have a nice Piper airplane...maybe replace the factory locks. The original key code is on the outside of the door lock and a new key can be ordered offline. Not sure where the code for Cessna locks are but those keys can be cut with a code as well.

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Airplanes have keys? I was this many days old when I learned this and I've flown quite a bit. Was always someone else's plane though

20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Cool! Back in the day when I worked for an automotive lighting manufacturer, I designed some of the assembly fixtures for the Solara LED taillights. They have fairly distinctive swoopy shape which made it a pain to get the assembly processes right so gaps between the taillight and the body panels would look good.

27 likes this.