1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Hey those tickets are really worth it eh? Already 1 session less....

Of course it happens to Ferrari... wonder what the strategy group is gonna do. :confused:

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

They even cancelled the whole broadcast....WTF.

3. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Is back on tv now 5 am east cost time.Hopefully they will be able to get practice in.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Pretty crazy this is going on at this hour. @Photo made me turn on the TV and surprised Alonso is on top with Leclerc in 2nd and Verstappen in 7th.

Photo likes this.
  5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So not only is Ferrari out millions of dollars in repair costs, they also are forced to take a grid spot penalty due to the amount of damage caused by the cover coming up. Draconian rules allow for no exceptions, pretty effed up in my opinion

GM GIXXER, CBRRRRR999, ducrcr and 2 others like this.
  6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone else saw that Lawrence sold his share of the team. Word is for a billion! I'm curious to sse who gets the extra seat now as I'd guess Lance would get moved on out - Unless dad had some other contingencies built into the sale.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper Active Member

Have had a few friends call me and ask what I saw. Wish I could give them a great narrative but I had five Manhattans way too quick and way too early. I saw only the back of my eyelids.

This event is the cluster-F that I expected though. :)

CBRRRRR999 and Photo like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Good to see they got the situation handled and were able to get FP2 in. Sainz's grid penalty is complete BS. New circuit growing pains...

9. fastedyamaha

Fans were ejected from some areas of the tracks despite having tickets for those grandstands due to the long delay. What a shiiiit show.

10. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I was really looking forward to watching the first practice sessions, to see how the cars learned and adapted to the new track. So I was disappointed when it lasted only 8 minutes, and then because the FP2 session was delayed, I didn't get it recorded.

In general, I don't like street circuits. But if there's going to be a street circuit, Las Vegas seems to be the best one, given all the other entertainment to enjoy when the track is not active. Having said that, Peter Windsor just posted an interesting commentary about his view that F1 should have bought a bunch of land just outside the city and built a proper track. That sounds good. I have no idea whether that was actually an option. But as it currently is, I could definitely see myself taking my family to see the Vegas grand prix at some point.

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Somewhere (in a jail cell?), Bernie is smiling right now.

12. fastedyamaha

He’s not in jail, just paid a ridiculously huge fine!

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Toto went off on a journalist who said this was a black eye for the sport.

Manhole covers, drain covers, etc...these things have happened for street circuits for all kinds of series. It happens. It's going to happen when you have anything like this on a race course.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shouldn't a predictable problem get fixed before it happens?

Boman Forklift and brex like this.
  15. thrak410

Didn't they say the cover itself was welded to the frame so it wouldn't come up, but the car pulled the frame out of the asphalt?

Kinda tough to account for that!

YamahaRick, Boman Forklift and motion like this.
  16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Toto's opinion on the situation would be completely different had it been a Mercedes that got destroyed.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sounds like you're saying that what they had was in effect a larger, unsecured cover.

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

My understanding is that he sold a share of the team, not the whole team. The Team is currently valued at around 1B.

19. thrak410

Not really... think of a manhole cover, the cover itself sits in a frame, the frame is in the pavement. The cover was welded to the frame but the frame got yanked out of the pavement.

End result is the same but its not unreasonable to think that the frame would be secure in the pavement.

20. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I read they kicked out the fans, because the security people were ending their shift. Who knows what the truth is.