1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Michigan's Grattan Raceway up for sale"

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Nov 9, 2023.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We need to discuss the hierarchy of said holler-dwellers if we're going to use labels.. Hillbilly and hick were pretty synonymous in terms of people from the hollar. Generally good people. Rednecks were the show-outs driving around in jacked-up dent side Fords with confederate flags.

But when you speak about legit Mountain people. Those are folk that you ought to just leave alone.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

country folk, mountain folk...they is cool people. Not much fun following them with a TV crew. But these other "hiibillies" me and Scotty are talking about...those are country people infused with meth, weed, alcohol, a massive lack of ambition and a sense of entitlement and bad judgement like you aint never seen. These are the people driving those rusty shitboxes with no exhaust, rockers, doors held closed with bungies, but smoking 2 packs a day of premium cigarettes and drinking name brand beer. People living in squalor, but with new $200 Jordans on their feet. Generations of poor, aint dont really want to do anything different.

Lots of them around here, Ohio, Kentucky...really anywhere there was country folk and then the meth moved in.

Robin172 and 27 like this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I generally spend about two weeks total in backwoods WV every year and have for the last 42 years, and I see all the types that Dan described in the same bar. They've accepted me since I've been coming for so long, but it takes time for them to cotton to you. The riding throughout the state is phenomenal, whether it's road or dirt.

Come Tuesday next week we'll all arrive, set up our party supplies next to the fire pit and keep that fire blazing until we leave Saturday morning. An annual ritual for 42 years for me. And we'll shoot a firearm once in a while:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rwdfun

rwdfun

Dude. You need to stop. You are seriously losing the hickiest contest. Everyone is wearing decent jackets, clothes with no holes and everyone has teeth. There is a Yeti cooler for christ sake. Now it can be debated that WV mountain folks are in the running but what you got there ain’t that :)

You are describing a good time that city folk might incorrectly define as red neck behavior. And this is coming from a guy that was born and raised inside the Detroit city limits and tells people I moved to the country because I have 1.5 acres and it takes me 10 mins to get to the big grocery store.

I thought the bench mark for the worst was defined in Deliverance. That was Georgia/Tennessee right. Appalachia is no joke. I bet the Grattan ownership with $7 mil might be more interesting because I’m not sure true Appalachians would do anything differently if they had that money.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's just my crew...the locals don't allow pictures:D

Once a Wanker.. and tl1098 like this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We have them up here in northern NY too. It ain't just a southern / mountain thing.

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hillbilly is an endearing term to me… why I use Hick for the derogatory… I’ll take anyone out of a cabin with no water or electricity in Appalachia any day over trailer park/section 8 hicks from anywhere

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Dan gets it… it’s a cultural thing that seemed to happen in the last 30 years… the lazy entitlement and lack of respect for anything is what the issue is… imo

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you have much Bluegrass around you? The string band revival of western NY has produced some great talent… don’t remember where exactly the hot spot was…

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

As it is to me. The life is endearing and has essence to it. I hate that people generally associate it with Deliverance, the fake moonshine, and the White family. It's so much more than that.

I'll commit to this though. Say what you will about people from Appalachia.. but if you want to be absolutely terrified, spend some time in the rural swamps of Louisiana and Arkansas. Those people don't play.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen Deliverance or any Hatfield/McCoy stuff or anything negative whether it’s shine running or land grabbing… I have too many of those real stories and family history already… the good ones are quiet and good until it’s time to bring the bad to the bad… seen that shit too…

Creoles are the same level of people… different foods and languages family first… my sister married a backwoods Cajun… good people…

and south Appalachia will always be home for me… the hills welcome me home every time and my aura feels complete there… unlike the frigid north

12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Maybe it was me too ex I. Here but I really liked the show “The Outsiders”.

I grew up in “the country” but we didn’t really have hillbillies . Hicks maybe. Lol

That’s all I got.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

#pennsyltucky

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I was wondering if anyone would mention the Louisiana Coonass.

/thread :D

stk0308 likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'd be more concerned about the folks living in urban swamps of LA and AR.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I was at a little town way out in southwest Texas a few months ago. The town had about 100 people, and maybe 100 teeth between them all. I didn't feel unsafe, but I got a lot of stares.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Los Angeles has urban swamps? How the f!@k did I not know that? Weird but we are talking about California aren't we?

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Look up USPS state abbreviations.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sarcasm young man, sarcasm

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

They're what we call locally as "monthers." A beaten up old pickup arrives at Walmart on check day full of people (loose term) and it gets filled up with goods and you don't see them again until the next month.

I don't know where in WV you'll be but be careful, there is a burn ban in the south west of the state extending into eastern KY.

My wife and I have just arrived in Des Moines for a company meeting she's got. On the drive up through Indiana, Illinois and into Iowa she said that she feels naked as there are no mountains to make her feel comfortable.

rd400racer likes this.