1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance 2024. Open discussion..

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by regularguy, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Fair enough. I guess I figured they should at least be close to the same bike, but that's just me BS'ing. Time to re-read the rulebook... AGAIN. My memory sucks

2. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more and measuring fuel capacity seems like a huge PITA.

Is cost what's driving the argument for limiting fuel capacity? If so, I argue that a lot of teams spend way more, unnecessarily, on tires than the cost of a large capacity tank and good dump can. Treating stints like a sprint race only makes sense if the riders are close to being capable of doing lap record pace. All others would be well served running consistent laps for longer stints rather than pitting after 40 min for fuel and new tires. This does come from a lightweight rider and realize heavy weight bikes consume tires a a much greater rate.

Sorry Derek for agreeing with you and then trying to cut into your business.

3. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I would like to see all of the rules in the rule book enforced. Especially the 5 rider rule.

I would also like to see a posted rider list for each team next to the grid position list.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Waterboy likes this.
  4. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I think it's perfect. :)

Waterboy and No Brakes like this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I like the idea of the rider line up for each team being posted. Just for reference, I've listed the rule below:

4. A Team can have no more than five (5) Team Riders during an endurance season. In the event a Team Rider is injured or becomes unable to compete, the Team Owner may petition the WERA President for special consideration allowing that rider to be replaced temporarily or permanently by one other rider, even if such replacement causes the Team to exceed the five-riders-only rule. Any rider who is injured and replaced temporarily can only be replaced by one rider for as long as he/she is out; a rider cannot be replaced by several different riders at different events. Upon the injured rider’s return to the Team’s Roster, the replacement can be dropped from the Team’s Roster. In the event a team consistently fields two entries, their roster will allow six (6) riders provided the same roster is shared by both teams. For each 24-hour endurance event, a Team may add an additional two (2) riders for a total of seven (7) riders. The two additional riders will not constitute part of the Team, except in the 24-hour event.

To go along with this, my fingers are crossed the 2024 endurance dates don't conflict with Moto America. I understand that sometimes it's just not possible...

Waterboy likes this.
  6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Smiling Jerry. Always a ray of sunshine.... :)

t11ravis likes this.
  7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Dangit. I'm pushing for a rule that says you must change tires every 30 minutes. Run whatever fuel tank size you like. I'll see you in 30.

8. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

^^^ True!

9. Kyle Brosius

I also think the penalty for breaking the 5 rider rule needs to be announced ahead of time. A team who breaks the 5 rider rule should be out of the championship running as it is a huge advantage. Picking 5 riders who can commit to enough races to allow the team to run a full season is part of the team strategy.

Possibly if a team breaks the rule wera can rename the team to have a “6” or something at the end. That way they can still compete and get a podium but the points system would have it listed as a different team and it wouldn’t count toward the championship points.

10. stickboy274

That team gets all their points moved to the relay class?

tdelegram likes this.
  11. Kyle Brosius

That’s also a good idea Stick, then the points still count toward something.

12. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

This is government talk ! :crackup:

Ive been bitching about this for 20 years and youve been sitting on the idea for 30+ twirling your thumbs ? I mean, 30 years is enough time to create a website, 13x forum, introduce Race Monitor and now maybe an option of radio through race monitor? Wow! It seems the broken record keeps spinning of " If you have a solution, Im all ears "

Granted I cannot help as Im a half ass painter plus trying to build a name in composites, but I digress.

In LWT, the majority of races have been won or lost, whichever you look at it due to red flags. Yet this suggestion never leaves the suggestion box...

rcarson15 and Lance Molnar like this.
  13. Tyler Watson

Tyler Watson New Member

There are so many people begging for this! People that don't even think about starting to get into trackdays because they know that you can't just buy a showroom supersport and be competitive. You have to drop the equivalent of a second bike into your track bike just to compete with a stock racing class. This would be by far the biggest change to pull in new riders in my generation or younger.

14. ghetto customs

Superstock endurance racing will never happen again in WERA. I take that back as the ULWT is running in SS trim but as the point I want to make , there isnt anyone policing the class nor the classes of SS sprint racing. It falls back on the racer to be honest and show integrity that their equipment is legal for the class.

Back to ULWT, just a racer looking in at some of the bikes, ive seen aftermarket rotors, master cylinders, custom airboxes and ram air tubes etc. So if small simple bikes are running modified in a 2hr race, its going to happen in the 4hr. So then there is the option of the relay race with your buddies or sign up to run MWT.

regularguy likes this.
  15. stickboy274

My team finished 3rd in HWT SS one year. Policing that was not easy, and we didn't try. SBK, rules fix a lot of problems that can come up. It can be more expensive, but a true SBK set up bike will cost a bunch to endurance race. You can beat that team by showing up to all the events, especially the ones later in the season, once most peoples budgets are blow.

Additional unrelated info, I had a team entered in HWY at the GNF one year (Sean entered us). We didn't do great, but we beat 2 teams....in my Silverado. Go crash truck.

16. ghetto customs

This comment makes me chuckle.
    Id say the best thing is to go back to points for grid position. Youve said it already Sean that this qualifying crap is a pain in the ass!
    I could come up with ways of safe or unsafe yadda yadda, but at the end of the day, someone tell Taylor Knapp if he sees me headed towards his way with a 50 and a roll of duct tape, im taping my transponder to his forehead and wish him the best of luck! Im going to the front row boyz!!

Yeah thats pretty stupid to do, but itll be legal and i wont have to deal with every 600 sprint guy that always gets in the LWT guys way in the first 30 mins of the first stint!.

Hashtag - policing a new rule

17. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Bike you are qualifying on has to be legal for the class you are racing in.

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

So here is an area where a rule clarification can resolve this.

The current rule for setting the grid:
    13. Grid positions will be determined by the teams best time in the Endurance practice that morning. It is up to each team to make sure they are being timed during the practice session. Any team not having a time will be placed at the back of the grid. If for some reason grids cannot be done by times then they will be based on the previous season finish or current overall point standings in the endurance series. Any teams not having points will be gridded by order of entry.

Going along with this, is the rule for frames allowed in a season:
    6. A Team may use three motorcycle frames during an endurance season under normal circumstances. Frame numbers must be given on each entry form and must be verified at tech inspection. In the event an unregistered frame is used, points scored will not be counted towards the Team’s total. If, during an endurance series event, a team destroys or damages beyond safe repair the three frames allowed under normal circumstances, the Team Owner may petition the WERA President for special consideration allowing use of additional frames. Petition for special consideration must be accompanied by proof of crash destruction or damage and the frame in question must have been inspected by a WERA tech official immediately following the crash which caused the damage or destruction. The decision to allow or not allow a Team to use additional frames under special consideration lies solely with the WERA President. When a Team changes class, the overall points shall carry forward, but the class points shall not. A Team will be allowed three frame numbers for the new class they are then running. Any “parts bike” in the pit area during an endurance event must not be a rolling chassis and cannot have number plates matching any entered team (fairing with number plates should be removed). A non-race prepared (i.e. not safety wired or stripped for racing) street machine may be kept in the paddock area.

Since registration shifted to N2, the VINs are no longer recorded, so there is no tracking of the A bike or B bike. As you can see above, there is nothing in writing in rule 13 stating you must qualify on your A bike, or B bike, or even qualify on a bike in the same class you are racing!

My suggestion: WERA/N2 should once again track VINs of the A bike and B bike, and the qualification rule should be amended to require the qualification time must be done on the A bike or the B bike. Obviously the A bike and B bike must be legal for the class the team has registered for.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I nominate Chris Parrish to be the 2024 technical director!!

E Reed likes this.
  20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The VIN's are recorded on the Tech forms which we are all still required to complete. So it is filed/recorded but.... Is this really a problem though. It may just be that I never pay attention to anything other than MW and HW. I only ever remember AOD and Twisted Speed having two bikes out in practice/qualifying.