1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Nov 5, 2023.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Plus you should have steel valve stems, not rubber if you go this route. Found out the hard way.

Jon Wilkens, MELK-MAN and ducnut like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hmm. I hadnt heard that. I did some quick googles and articles from 2022 say they are made in Thailand, same as always. Where are you hearing people say they are failing? I will need some trailer tires next year and planned to go Maxxis.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

problem i see with this model, is the very large "flow through" valve stem cap readers. they are huge.. not a big issue if a deep well RV or big rig rim, but on a typical trailer wheel? it's sticking out there in the breeze vs the other make/model units out there with smaller screw on valve cap readers.
    this image was right off the "Etrailer" website that on company selling this model, and has a video about it. it may work well, but i'd have reservations about that size of cap on the stem of a trailer wheel.

[​IMG]

ducnut likes this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Goodyear Endurance, 205/75-15, load range “D”. My actual tire and pic from Goodyear’s website of said tire.

A3D38562-6BF5-4D4D-925A-F632DD874733.jpeg 5F1D013A-D827-4A38-B650-C727EA0BA119.jpeg 9E9F1E73-6DC5-46C2-8AC1-97AE31AC639D.jpeg

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i know the goodyear marathon was a popular trailer tire.. then they started getting made in china. lots of issues when that happened i think, someone posted the maxxis tires are now made there ?? anyone know for sure? i haven't bought a set in a long time but was gonna be looking in next 12 months.

ducnut likes this.
  6. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

The Maxxis M8008 Plus tires I bought were manufactured in September 2021, and are Made in Thailand. They're my 2nd set of Maxxis, and I've had no issues. The Chinese OE tires on my first toy hauler blew on my very first trip.

But I WILL recommend metal valve stems. I was running 80 PSI on my previous trailer, and the rubber OE valve stem ruptured, I'm assuming because of the PSI.

MELK-MAN, ChemGuy and ducnut like this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I saw the same. My original Maxxis I bought in 2013. I ran them into 2021. I can’t remember where my originals were made, but, it changed during that 8yrs. I’d seen the change posted in another forum, I believe an RV forum. Then, when I went to buy new trailer tires, the DT dude filled me in. I knew Goodyear brought back the Endurance and I was open to them, despite my political beliefs against Goodyear. I’m not in the tire business the way Discount Tire are, so there’s no way I can see, firsthand, what’s actually going on.

I’ve grossly overloaded my trailer, with all my personal belongings, over a few thousand miles, and have been happy with the Goodyear Endurance. I always run them at 65psi.

ChemGuy likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Pretty sure the pull thru rubber stems aren't recommended for more then 40 psi.

ducnut likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The high pressure ones are rated for at least 80psi, as they’re OE on E-rated LT tired trucks

ducnut likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

my Maxxis 8008 is rated at 2540 and load range D. Apparently there are both 6 ply 2150lb D range tires and 8 ply 2540lb D range tires. You learn something new every day. For a 3500lb rated trailer, I would probably just do the 6 ply.

ducnut likes this.
  11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I don't use the flow through model sensors, I use the cap type sensors, TST 507 model gives you a choice of which one you want. I also have metal valve stems obviously as the cold air pressure inflation on my RV tires is 110 psi, although I only run 100 psi on the Sailun tires that I put on it. 110 psi gives you 4400 lbs of load capacity per tire, 100 psi gives you 4080 lbs of load capacity per tire, and that's more than enough even when I'm approaching 20,000 lbs loaded trailer weight.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

they are literally the only usa manufactured trailer tire.

I have a set on my heavy ass camper and have had great luck with them ( i also stay on top of pressure)

OP Defiantly go up a load range never done.

LT truck tires if available in your size are also a great option

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I think it has been pretty well covered. The Goodyear Endurance 205/75R15 D load range should be a good fit as they actually are a 6 ply lighter D rating. Maybe run them a little under the 65psi indicated max, since you will likely not have a full load on them, or at least you better not or your trailer will be overloaded.

If you think you are near any of the limits (tow vehicle axle, tow vehicle payload, tongue / hitch weight, trailer total, trailer axle), download the CAT app and tow your loaded trailer over a CAT scale. Unhitch and run across again without the trailer (second run is cheaper if done at the same session). Then you will know how much your loaded trailer weighs, how much tongue / hitch weight you are carrying, how much weight is on each of your tow vehicle's axles, and how much weight is on your trailer axle(s).

ducnut likes this.
  15. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I thought you were retiring??? :Poke:

16. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I just checked today. Last I bought was carlisle load range d for a 6x12 trailer.

They're made in china as well. So mark them off your list.
    Bought them 2 years ago.

17. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I've never seen that system before. Looks fantastic.

Watched a couple videos about it today. Looks like I could buy the ten sensor system and set it up to do my dually as well. It's too old to have TPMS.

18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i know i'm over weight. my follow up was about Load Index. the website has various options and i didnt know the difference other than getting a D capacity.

19. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

If you ever want to bump up the spring rate, I've used Donovan Spring in Londonderry, NH for a bunch of stuff and they've always been great to work with.

Yes, they are a bit of a hike for you but I'd happily make the ride down from God's country to meet up

20. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

LT truck tires are not really a good option for trailer, especially the tandem and triple axle trailers. ST tires are built with stiffer sidewalls to be able to take the stress of side loading in sharp turning maneuvers.

You might want to rethink the LT tires on a trailer.....
    https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/the-st-vs-lt-tires-debate-dont-make-this-common-mistake/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    R/T Performance and MELK-MAN like this.