1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vehicle extended warranty .. anyone do em?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Nov 3, 2023.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

had an extended warranty on my 2005 excursion with 6.0L diesel, was $4000 up 120,000 miles, and it paid for itself. barely .
    Just got a quote for my 2020 F250 6.7L diesel.. i have 80,000 miles, ext war would cover for 60k miles (so till 140,000) or 5 years. $7200. WTF. LOL ! for sure could have a mega expense, i've heard bad gas cost a guy $10k as he had to replace a lot of FI stuff. but this is a tough pill to swallow. if i trade truck in or sell, i'd get some prorated amount back.
    how many folks are going with extended warranties these days? Oh, it's $7800, not 7200 .. :confused:

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Never.....odds are that truck won't incur that many problems. But I've never owned a Ford:D

BigBird likes this.
  3. VR47BALLKR

VR47BALLKR Active Member

Good and timely post.. am contemplating for my '21 F-150 Ecobeast 3.5L with 29K miles, but not sure if its worth it... I will only put around 5K miles a year on it.

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Never have and never will consider that ... take whatever the monthly payment on that $7800 would be and put it in a secondary savings account.. bonus, get a high yield and get 5% interest on it!

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Every warranty is priced to make sure the company makes profit, for every person who makes out, there are enough who don't to cover the difference.

BigBird, MELK-MAN and Dragginass like this.
  6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I usually buy it if its from the OEM. Never a 3rd party warranty. Those always find a way to wiggle out. I bought one for my 2018 F350 had 28K miles when I bought it form dealer in Reno. Flew up to buy it. I guess it was a Canada truck. It had some oil leak problem that they had to drop the transmission 3 times to finally fix it. I had to sell the truck to buy my house for the equity. Got a check back for $4K from the warranty. Program is ran really well from Ford.
    The 2017 F350 I have now I bought from a 3rd party dealer has 50K miles. I did not get the extended warranty cause it wasnt through Ford.

I would say for these super expensive trucks it is worth it. And yes very easy to get the warranty money back if you sell the truck.

MELK-MAN, cav115 and Phl218 like this.
  7. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

when i bought my audi used, the credit union offered a warranty rolled into the loan - the loan was low interest so why not...it def paid for itself when the steering went out and the whole steering assembly needed to be replaced. car wouldnt even start because it detected the steering issue...went to the bank, came out...no go lol.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I bought Toyota's extended warranty on a Highlander Hybrid that I bought used, still under the original warranty. At 38k miles it failed inspection because the headlight lenses were fogging up, they were melting from heat from the still OEM bulbs. Toyota had a bulletin on the issue and an updated part to correct the issue. They WOULD. NOT. BUDGE. on refusing to cover it under the extended warranty despite Maine considering it a safety defect AND they knew it was a bad part design. Loved that truck, still pissed at Toyota 15yrs later.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It's pro-rated, you won't get all your money back unless you return the extended service contract within 30 or 90 days.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

It is prorated. I paid $7200 for the warranty. Had the truck 2 years and got $4K back when I sold it. Plus it paid for itself dropping the transmission 3 times to fix oil leak. Was totally worth it to me.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Melka, is that through ford?

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yep, I got a check back when I sold my dually.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If the factory sells you one of theirs, it can be called an extended warranty, but if it's purchased through a a third party, it's called an extended service contract.
    If you keep it for the life of the contract, then there's no refund.

tony 340 likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

7800 will buy you a whole other used car

I'd take the 7800 and bank it. Cds are 5% 6 months right now...or throws it on some stocks next time they nose dive

OEM would be the warranty I want .......otherwise I'd roll the dice

That being said, if you own any newer non deleted diesel you need to be ready for 10k at a moments notice.

If you've deleted or done tunes and chips and shit they'll bob and weave to get out of paying for repairs anyhow.

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I would not own a BMW beyond the warranty. So if that means extending, then yes, extend.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Fine print is the deal killer on a lot of newer diesel extended warranties. Frequently, the emissions systems aren't included, so check that. Also, bad fuel grenading the CP4 is a lot of times a big argument with everyone pointing fingers and you without a truck for a long time.

This just based on all the subs/contractors I work around and not my personal experience though.

tony 340 likes this.
  18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

19. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

Nope
    As someone on the other side of extended warranties, the service provider who performed repairs, I have to say no.
    Plenty of stories about arguing with them about quality of repair and arbitrary declines.
    I eventually quit accepting business from them.

tony 340 likes this.
  20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Bought the extended warranty on my '13 F350 diesel. 3 months after it expired the turbos went kaput. $1800 for the useless warranty....never again. The diesel job was over 4 grand and it took the ford garage 3 tries to get it right.