1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks!

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have a carbon bike from 2014 that's still good. You'll be fine.

Senna likes this.
  3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yup, it's a jump off point, not a definitive solution, hence:
    upload_2023-11-3_15-19-22.png

Most of the combos have been tried in the real world with reports at the places mentioned on the site to refine your solution though.

4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I need some input on a fork from you experts. I’ve got a 2022 carbon Stumpjumper with the Fox 34 Rhythm. It has seen some pretty good time and has never been serviced.
    First question is I think Fox recommends service at 125 hours, I’m WAY over that! Is that bs or am I risking damaging/ wearing parts by not servicing it? This is the first bike I’ve had that isn’t a throwaway.

Second question. I went down the rabbit hole and started thinking maybe I’d upgrade to the grip 2 damper while it’s apart and hopefully get a plusher ride. Well, with a service and the damper I’m pretty close to this thing https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-34-FL..._ym13JhEftoic8E1YyuPbBUtnT4AQtH4aAovGEALw_wcB My thought is get a better and maybe lighter fork for not a whole lot more plus it would fix two spots of cosmetic damage from a crash that bug me. After sitting on a shelf for 2’ish years would I need to service it anyway?

My weight usually swings between 195-205 and I ride some fairly rocky stuff between West and South Texas if that matters. Just cross country or rocky trails really, no enduro for me. I’m 42 and still have to make the mortgage payment!

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I don't think it's BS, but most guys I know service the suspension annually, if that. I have mine done 1x a year and I ride a lot.

Can't help on the factory upgrade. I will say, having Ka$hima coating on just the forks would drive my OCD nuts. Gotta go full baller status and go Factory Shock and Factory Transfer post lol.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The fit4 damper sucks blue whale. Unless you just flat can't get along with the damper in your fork, stick with it. If you can't, the grip/grip2 is much better than the fit4 in the Fox world.
    Yes, you should service your fork. Do you have to go with their recommended hour interval? No, but at minimum you should change the lower oil once per year. Seals at the same time are best.
    If you run the lowers out of bath oil, you're going to ruin your stanchions and buy new forks whether you want to or not.
    A lower service is relatively easy to do once you have done it a couple times, I'm sure you have a local shop that will do that. Or send them to a fox service location.

And only reason to get kashima is if you like the gold. You won't notice shit on the bike, it doesn't help anything.
    Also if you feel like getting a new fork, you can do better than Fox all day every day.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  7. GixxerJohn011

That has certainly crossed my mind

8. GixxerJohn011

I’ve watched videos on servicing the lowers and it looks simple enough. I’m fairly mechanically minded but something about bikes gets me inventing new cuss words and throwing tools across the garage :( I’ll probably let a shop do the fork and I’ll give the shock a go.

Im not a Fox fanboi, what’s your fork of choice without throwing Broome level wheelbarrows of cash at it??

brex likes this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Bike stuff kind of annoys me too. I just shell out for the right tools now. I bought the Pedro's cassette remover tool and was very happy with how that worked out.

I have a backup bike that I'm using to tinker with these days. Did brake bleeds this week (easy with a kit). I'm going to try servicing the dropper post next.

GixxerJohn011 and brex like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Don't read that as me saying replace it at all costs. If it's working for you, the grip damper functions fine. I also wouldn't swap out the grip to a grip2 since they are basically the same thing but with clickers for the compression adjust. Your rhythm should be the sweep lever that does the same thing. It's not worth the swap.
    That said, I am a fan of DVO, Ohlins and Manitou. My bikes all wear DVO forks, I simply prefer the OTT fine tuning and the damping control.
    And they are still a small enough company that you can get great customer service via email or phone, even if you have silly setup questions, they will talk to you about it.

11. GixxerJohn011

Well then the Grip2 would be a waste for sure, I always leave the compression wide open unless I hit the pump track with the kids.

My last thought is just service it then drop the pressure until it dives too much, go back up a few psi and compensate with tokens if it bottoms out a bunch.

brex likes this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'd bring the lever in a bit rather than wide open, it gives the fork a little more cornering support.
    Might be worth trying.

Spooner and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I thought my fox factory 36 was rad until I got my bike with Ohlins. It is probably the best suspension on any two wheeled vehicle I've ever had.

Once a Wanker.. and brex like this.
  14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Your fork is fine. Just do the services annually. For upgrades, I'm personally running Manitou and have a lot of time on some Ohlins stuff. Would take either of those over any RS/Fox forks every day of the week. I did just have Craig over at Avalanche fit a hybrid coil and custom cartridge damper to my Mezzer, then promptly broke my wrist so it's just been sitting here while I miss prime riding season in AZ.

upload_2024-3-13_10-38-19.png

upload_2024-3-13_10-38-41.png

Senna likes this.
  15. GixxerJohn011

Well I just dropped it off to service the fork and see if anything else needed attention. I’m sure they’ll find something. I went on a ride before with a little less pressure up front and still didn’t bottom out the front, I’ll see how that goes long term.

Talking with the guy at the shop I guess he could tell I had the itch to upgrade and he pointed me to carbon wheels. He said hands down the best bang for the buck thing I could do and at ~$2,000 out the door about half of what I thought they’d be. They were Specialized Roval carbon something or other that he said is their trail carbon wheel. What do you guys say, worth it or not?

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Cracked mine and I was 210 lbs not doing jumps or any crazy shit.

The money wasted on carbon wheels will buy a nice used roadbike or even better....an off season trainer.

If you're chasing trophies then go for it......for weekend warrior that doesn't want a 8 mile walk outta the woods.....skip them.

17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'd put that 2 grand towards an ebike haha! There are crazy deals out there these days and they are so much more fun than standard mountain bikes in most conditions.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I run carbon rims on my short travel trail bike. Highly recommend..
    Roval are spendy and $2k is more than I've spent on any carbon set.
    Configure a set here and decide if it's something you want to do
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/
    That said, best upgrade out there or bang for the buck is debatable. But if you have the itch, they build great wheels.

GixxerJohn011 and Senna like this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I have them on my new bike, but haven't ridden them yet. I bought them more for the warranty as I ride some really rocky shit and have tacoed one rim already.

I would take a hard look at We Are One wheels or Revel's RW30s. Reserve Carbon wheels are excellent too.

GixxerJohn011 and brex like this.
  20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Surprised you guys are talking up Manitou. I've never heard a lot about them. Is it a pretty significant difference over a Fox/Shox offering in the XC/trail category?