1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks! Typically I wear flats 80-90% of the time anyways.

Im eyeing the Fezzari Kings Peak. Bit more progressive geo and should be around 30-31 pounds. I have a gravel mountain road nearby that gets some jeep traffic. Really just wanna climb up and then bomb down it in the winter.

2. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

That sounds like a plan! Checked out the website, and like the bike. Come in at nice price point as well. Enjoy the ride!

We did a 50-mile gravel ride yesterday with 75-degree sunny weather. Today it is 55, raining, and the predicted low tonight is 35. Winter is coming. Meh.

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It is 8F right now lol

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So they puts metal screws in the tires out there for the icy winter conditions?

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah studded tires are def a thing for both car and mtb tires. I don’t see them often on cars, though.

6. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I've always sworn off owning another Trek, mostly because why ride something plain with all the other options out there, but I would ride that for sure.

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

That's an interesting data point, but leverage is only one piece of the puzzle.

Excess leverage ratio means more travel at the lever for less pad travel, usually resulting in more pad rub if your rotors aren't completely flat. Also greater the hydraulic pressure, the beefier the entire braking system needs to be to support. Any flex in the system (lever itself, master cylinder, calipers, pads, brake lines, etc.) will come back to bite you as spongy brake feel. If you add those back in, along with pad contact area, you may have a more complete picture, but I wouldn't judge a braking system based off of leverage ratio alone.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It's sharp for sure. Always had black frames, glad to have changed it up.
    97770295-2023+P2P-3071 copy.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yes, a lot of fat biking here in MI. Many run multiple sets of tires/wheels based on conditions. Studded fat tires are a blast.

Senna likes this.
  10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Agreed. Fatties are a hoot to ride. You can get them down to 23lbs. with a carbon frame and wheels.

I'd say you can run flat pedals or clipless. 45nrth makes their boots to allow either option (Wolvhammer boots are fantastic). I like the eggbeaters to clip out of quickly - have run their platform/clipless combo pedal and their normal pedal in the winter. But agreed, in icy conditions, it's nice to put your foot down when you need.

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Sold my tazer this weekend as they have a new model coming out in the spring and the riding here blows most of the winter. But now that I don’t have a bike I’m sure we will have a super mild winter and the riding will be excellent lol. I would have waited to sell it but a buddy of a buddy really wanted it and he’s super stoked so it turned out well.

Senna likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Their new alloy version is pretty damn cool looking.

13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yep it’s a great bike for sure but I’m a bike snob so I want carbon haha.

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Honda has released their eMTB concept that is supposedly going to hit the market fairly soon.
    For a company with the engineering might of Honda, and with the history they have with their sweet downhill bike a decade ago that they decided not to go to market with, I thought they might make something worth looking at.

But nope, instead they made a damned bullshit-assed y-bike and it's got bodywork cladding. That frame will never have a good suspension curve. And it looks like ass.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Lmao it's so bad. The Pinkbike comments are hilarious.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/slack...-crushing-lithium-ion-batteries-and-more.html

TurboBlew and brex like this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Revel Rascal. I have a good amount of time on them and it's probably a perfect bike for my riding.

My final hesitation is regarding the carbon frame. I don't ride real gnarly stuff - mostly chunky blue or blue/black trails. But occasionally I do crash - usually a slide out in kitty litter.

Do modern carbon frames hold up to this kind of stuff pretty well?

Phl218 likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is pretty funny. And Honda deserves it for that POS.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

They do. You can still have the freak accidents where you smack your frame into a pointy rock and crack it, but it's pretty rare. I haven't had an issue with my carbon bikes, and they have hit the ground more than once.

Senna likes this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Good to know. I figured that was the case.

By the way, you got a shop you like in the Draper or Cottonwood area? The old bike will be living in SLC next year.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The guys at Hangar 15 in Draper are good. Cottonwood cyclery has been around for quite a while and I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about them, but I don't know them personally.
    My guys are south of that in Lehi, but you'd be happy with either Cottonwood or Hangar.

Senna likes this.