1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer Buildout

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

1) My current trailer has white MDF walls and while it looks great, it's a PITA to keep clean. On the next trailer, looking at adding a medium gray outdoor carpet to the walls (about 3/4) the way up. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this method.

2) Lighting. The LED route seems the best way to go but those strip lights seem to go bad after 1-2 years. I've seen regular 12v Tube shop lights that could be fixed to the ceiling (finished) and or the walls. Any ideas?

2. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Did exactly that with my trailer (but I two toned it with black outdoor carpet on the bottom....and gray on top). Used a chrome carpet edge to
    hide the transition. Super easy to do and dramatically changes the appearance of the trailer (not to mention bumps up the sound deadening and insulation....)

Couple of tips:

1) mark off the studs at the top so you know where to drill when the carpet it up.

2) get a hand held carpet roller tool to smooth down the carpet against the walls after you spray the adhesive on

3) use the strongest spray adhesive you can find....I went one step down from the strongest and it started to come off....

4) wear a respirator and sealed googles when using the spray adhesive (learned that when it started gumming up in my nose hairs)....also put a covering on the floor because the overspray will get on the floor....

IMG_7152.jpeg

IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7157.jpeg

IMG_7216.jpeg

IMG_2266.jpeg

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What adhesive did you end up going with?

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Why not aluminum on the interior walls as well?

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

carpet holds hair and blood DNA samples more than a smooth hard surface. Just sayin.

Just in case.

:D

Also use an adhesive with high temp resistance. That will help it stay on longer if its just a regular contact adhesive.

7. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

3m 90....used the 77 at first....didnt hold.. It's mainly a concern for the bottom edges....with all the stuff mounted on the walls, the screws help hold it in place....if you can plan it out so the tracks/anything hanging on the walls is lined up with breaks in the carpet, that helps as well.

it dries quick so only spray sections that are about to go on the wall then roll it on....rinse and repeat.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Our trailer build was pretty "comprehensive" in regard to electrical. Joe would know as he's an electrical wiz. Feel free to PM as he might he helpful.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

FYI 3m spray 90 has a heat resistance of about 60F more than spray 77.

spray 90 loses bond with 100g over 1” surface at 210f

For vehicles getting heat resistance up above 200 and even better closer to 240f really helps. 150f of spray 77 is too low for something on a trailer wall