1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Irate

Irate Member

I'm waiting at work so here we go:

Twins
    The Ridge Qualified 6th
    Race 1 - Finished 6th, 25 seconds back
    Race 2 - Finished 4th, 13 seconds back
    Monterey Qualified 6th
    Race 1 - Finished 19th, 1 Lap back
    Race 2 - Finished 4th, 18 seconds back
    Pittsburgh Qualified 4th
    Race 1 - Finished 6th, 23 seconds back
    Race 2 - Finished 5th, 5 seconds back

Supersport
    COTA Qualified 16th
    Race 1 - Finished 14th, 1 lap down
    Race 2 - Finished 10th, 27 seconds back
    NJMP Qualified 13th
    Race 1 - Finished 3rd, 1 second back
    Race 2 - Finished 4th, 19 seconds back

Those are the results I could find quickly.

BigBird and Basura like this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Sorry, I don't have the MA time sheets, but my recollection is that she's won races in the dry, and podiumed in the dry.

Here's what's weird. I don't know that I've heard people saying that she's the 2nd coming of Kevin Schwantz (who I'm guessing you would argue isn't much of a rider due to only having won only one World Championship), but rather she's an impressively well rounded rider, who is a great representative of the sport. Can she compete at the top in the higher classes, or on the world stage? Who knows. Does she deserve a shot at it? Well if you're going off of only giving a shot to the fastest of the fast, then you're missing part of the point. Clearly there are people who see enough promise in her riding to believe, that with the right guidance she might raise that part of her game to the level of her public relations capability. You seem to have some kind of odd agenda to argue that she's not worthy of the praise that she garners. You're entitled to your opinion. Seems you might be an outlier in that respect, as I guarantee that team managers view her differently than you do.

Dragginass and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Watching her from the top of turn 10 at Road Atlanta in the 2022 Jr. Cup race, drafting in a pack of 6 or 8 bikes lap after lap, sometimes 4 wide, convinced me that she had what it took to progress to the front in any class she races in. That should have been her first win, in my opinion.

I know it was 'just the Jr. Cup' race, but she made a believer out of me.

4. Hartluck36

Hartluck36 Well-Known Member

She won races in the dry in jr cup. I think what Basura is trying to say is so far results wise she hasn’t posted the race results that warrant a premier ss ride. What he is not taking in account is just speed alone will not get you a ride anymore. You have to be marketable for your team/sponsors, active on social media and be willing to put in the work on that side as well. She has done those things along with her being fast have put her in favorable situations and have opened doors for her. Besides jr cup It’s going to be hard for her to be a title contender. But she will have a lot of opportunities because of what she brings to the table.

5. Basura

Basura Well-Known Member

and mostly 1 - 2 seconds off the fastest lap times in twins. @Rdrace42 analyze it for me please. I understand there is more than racing but I'd appreciate your perspective team manager wise

6. Hartluck36

Hartluck36 Well-Known Member

Ask Robby Bobby he has run road race teams and flat track teams.

5axis, Once a Wanker.. and Basura like this.
  7. Basura

Basura Well-Known Member

And to your point she has over 25K ig followers

8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yeah, I'd defer to Robby Bobby as well. I'd also ask JH4 to weigh in...but he probably doesn't want to get pulled into this. The fact that MP and others provided assistance, I would think that shows people who are more qualified than I am that she's got potential.

So what are your qualifications? I'm just an old, used to be fast racer, with enough concussions to question anything I say. So should we assume you've got experience in identifying talent? Post up your credentials.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I’m
    Not sure what y’all are asking me.

made you asking me if I’d sign her if I still ran a team?

In a heartbeat. She’s fast, nice, polite, aggressive on. Track, abs most importantly she seems to constantly learn and get better.

would I sign Rocco? Absolutely. He’s fast, wins races and honestly, I’m never ever gonna be a corporate guy. I’ve had triunpg and KTM both ask me to change my bikes whether colors or whatever and didn’t. I prefer my bikes to stand out and look how I want. Neither of those companies paid all my bills so my take was, if you’re not paying my bills and just offering support or sponsorship, then the bikes will be branded but how I want them.

but back to the point, if I’m reading correctly, y’all are asking if I’d sign Kayla or Rocco and without a second thought.

koth442 and Basura like this.
  10. Basura

Basura Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing, less than 0. I honestly thought you were affiliated with or a team manager based on your first post and was curious for another perspective. I have been very honest in admitting being wrong and was interested if you still thought I was wrong like you initially said about pace and being off the leaders with those race times posted.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

1-2 seconds off in twins or SS is not even remotely an issue for me regarding Kayla because she’s not a vet rider or experienced that’s moved between classes up and down.

she’s constantly improved and grown as a racer.

this was her first year on a twin or a SS and “only” 1-2 seconds off is nothing that can’t be worked on with seat time and experience.

if we were talking 6-9 seconds off I’d say move her back down.

Her father is smart and knows what he’s doing and it shows. If I were them I’d keep doing exactly as they are.

Gino230, CRA_Fizzer, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  12. Basura

Basura Well-Known Member

thanks man, ill stfu for everyone now

13. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Honestly, I don't follow lap times that closely. I've watched her in races, both on TV and in person. Again, I'm not arguing she's the best racer in MA, and should be in GP's. But I've seen something in her that says she's worth developing. Certainly as a person, and a representative for her sponsors and the sport in general, she's got a leg up on the competition. Putting aside lap times, and gaps to the front (and to RB's point, if she's 10 seconds off the pace, she shouldn't be out there), she's got drive. Grit. I've seen her in a pack and she doesn't shy away from getting aggressive. She's got a great eye for passing opportunities when they present themselves. She looks like she races like she's got a plan, and is able to adjust that plan as she goes. Those are things that are REALLY hard to teach, and to some degree I would say you can't. She can and has worked on her pace. My one credential that I would throw out there, is I was the Rider's School instructor for about 8 years in the NC. I saw people who shouldn't even ride a bike on the street, and others that had the natural skill the moment they hit the track. It's easy to see the ones that have at least some potential. They have to be born with the desire to win. Most other things can be worked on. That's Kayla in my opinion.

Namarow, WillMill and Basura like this.
  14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Lol....and I'm not saying nobody should sign Rocco. There are certainly people that are sick of the robotic 'PR approved' rider interviews, and no surprise you're less worried about someone ruffling feathers. And we asked you because you've run a team, and most of us haven't. C'mon, aren't you happy we're bowing to your street cred?

Great point about her constantly learning and improving. I don't know Rocco, but I wonder if he's as willing and able to leverage the guidance of those who could help him step up his game. I kind of get the vibe that he's not. It would be great if racing was just about the purity of going as fast as you can, and whoever does that best wins. But that's not the world we live in. Even at the highest level, you've got guys on bikes that are simply there because of their passport. Or there because of a certain sponsor liking the image they get from that rider. It's show business, and sponsors aren't going to throw money at a rider who's going to be a risk of creating a PR nightmare. Not saying you don't know all that. Kudos to you for following your own road, but I'm sure you know it might have been easier if you caved to corporate pressure. Of course then you'd probably gnaw your arm off for having done so.....

15. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Rocco is far more advanced than many other riders his age. During track walks he knows exactly where he will be and can explain why he wants to be there. When he's debriefed after a session he can clearly explain what he needs to go faster, I found that everything he described was supported by data. Working with him and Stoney this past year was about as professional as it gets, they are a great team together. Anyone who doubts his capabilities is seriously wrong, IMO he is among the top prospects in the current crop of young riders.

"Interviews don't win races."

Namarow, koth442, Robin172 and 8 others like this.
  16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yah I dont understand the beef some peoplep have with him. Again, I have seen him on track in So-Cal since he was half his height of what he is today. Most in the paddock knew he was going to have a career in RR. I hope he gets a chance to prove some of those who doubt him wrong. I think Rocco and Kayla are both great for the sport and looking to continue watch them both grow into the next gen contenders.

Its also pretty cool to see many young racers at CVMA a couple weeks ago. They all hang out together around the paddock too. Probably all 12-15 years old. A whole pack of em. All hanging together and probably battling on the track. I smile as its prob going to be the next MA generation. Its nice to see.

koth442, Boman Forklift and 27 like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Me? I bring in two euros or brits. Why? Just to piss off the BBS experts.

Although I’m becoming a fan of Blake Davis.

18. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

. The whole lot of them. And all are darned fast too

Can’t wait for Round 2

05Yamabomber likes this.
  19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Haha yes. I know a few of them from the Wera west days. They are fast. Also looking forward to round 2!

Ducman851 likes this.
  20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

It certainly wasn't a consideration back in the day. I wonder if we'll start to see a swing back that direction in the coming years, as most people are bored to tears with most interviews. They want some personality!

Boman Forklift, 5axis and Knarf Legna like this.