1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Smith ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Letitsnow, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Wait wait. Didn’t your teammate run into you right in front of us while accelerating on the front straight at Roebling? Lol

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

That's how I've always done it. Right or wrong it just felt natural. At least it worked well when I beat you

3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I have a great story of a certain big named racer that did something similar to that.I won't call him out,but it was funny as hell.We were meeting up,and he pulled into a parking place,and proceeded to park his front bumper of his van on top of a Cadillac bumper!!! He throws it in park,and just left it! I wasnt saying shit! But God it was funny! All that talent,and can't park! Glad I left before he had to explain that !! :crackup:

4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

When did Mike stop racing? I remember racing with someone with the same name in ‘09 that everyone was saying used to race pro in the 90’s but was racing novice for that round. I’m wondering if it was just a rumor or he let his license lapse or something and had to do a round.

If it was him he was taking it easy on us because he wasn’t checking out. Maybe he just wanted some of that easy tire money back in the day, or most likely just someone with the same name who happened to be quick.

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I never imagined a more efficient way of entering a corner, while focusing on braking, than this method myself.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

He would have never went back to Novice

Quicktoy, R1Racer99 and ToofPic like this.
  7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Also, good to see Larry Denning posting. He was the first guy to lap me in my first race and make me realize how slow I was. It’s crazy that someone that fast can be on the same track with someone who’s only done one trackday, but when you’re that good it’s probably no big deal. That’s one of those moments I’ll never forget, trying as hard as you can and getting your doors ripped off by someone who’s really knows what they’re doing for the first time wakes you up in a hurry.

Reading this thread I assumed that, I was just curious.

Shenanigans likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Ouch. Lol

notbostrom and Quicktoy like this.
  9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Around that time there was a kid he was mentoring that was racing with the fringe on his leathers, don't remember the name or exact year. Could be what you saw.

Quicktoy likes this.
  10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

was is Ethan Ellis? Or something like that?

DaveB and 418 like this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes... Whatever happened to him? I remember at Talladega (The Old Config) many many years ago Ethan was gridded on the back row on a DRZ 450 and they were holding him at the start because he was too short to start by himself.. He passed everyone and got the leader on the last turn of the last lap to win the race tassles and all.. Where is he now?

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Still waiting for someone to bring the stepstool to get off the top rostrum step?

:D

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mike didn't race as a Novice in 09 - now he may have been on someone elses bike.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:crackup:

15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I've fallen and hit my head plenty but definitely don't remember this lol.

I've never seen anyone else do this before or since.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Slam through the gears before releasing the clutch?

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I can't imagine doing that! At least on purpose

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not talking 6th all the way to 2nd without at least releasing the clutch once (at least on purpose) but when I rode the FJs I was told to slam it down, release the clutch and let it hop and fishtail.
    I guess it was so no one would try and pass the FJ1100 on the brakes ‘cause that fat fuck was now 20 feet wide. :D

ToofPic likes this.
  19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

It's not like you have to dump the clutch. Bang down the gears and then feather out the clutch for a little engine breaking then fully release when revs match

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

One should know which gear you plan to release the clutch in, after most of your braking is nearly finished. Add some throttle, release the clutch in the previously selected gear, finish braking and accelerate as appropriate through the corner. I've always thought everyone did it this way.