1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where my Delta peeps at...

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Sep 15, 2023.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you have the fancy AMEX only card you can get into the Centurion (I think) lounges they have at some big airports. But its usually only the big dog $500+ a yr AMEX only cards, not co-branded.

Basically so many people have cards, status, flying that the system cant handle it. So instead of building more, they nerf the perks to get people out of the perks. I understand it, but I dont have to like it.

Getting status is really only good to make the miserable flying experience of today a little better.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had the full nutz one and when I mention hidden lounges I mean not on the Amex map or site.
    Short version and a long time ago and I won’t expand on: Don’t know how they are now but I was able to book a flight out of a place for a bunch of people where there was no flights going out of and even gooberments were not able to fly in or out of. Man, they were THE SHIT!

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

At the end of this year, there will be a one time conversion of MQMs to either miles or MQDs or a combo. With the roll over MQMs, status boosts and all, I think a lot of people can rollover to MQDs and retain Platinum or better for the 2025 year. And then I cancel or downgrade the Reserve card. And if people roll over to miles, then I wonder if delta charges more miles for flights.

If enough of you stop using delta or cancel cards, maybe they’ll reverse some of these changes. So cancel away!

ChemGuy likes this.
  4. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

“Sky Pesos” thats funny.

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’ve got the purple Amex card and the change in sky club access pisses me off. 10 visits a year is not enough. The sky miles thing I have to read about more. I usually get platinum status from a combination of miles flown and card spending. I feel like this new stuff might be a real kick in the nuts to us longtime flyers. I guess in the end I’ll still do whatever collects me the most miles.

6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Yep. I’m almost a million miles on delta and used to get Diamond. Then they changed program and added the MQDs and then I never get it cause the MQDs because I never fly international.

Now they jacked up the platinum MQD amount so I’ll be hard pressed to get platinum now.

My theory goes as such as I’ve seen this with Vegas comp programs as well. So many people were qualifying for the top levels the quality of service went down and those of us with platinum, etc expect platinum service. So it’s easier to thin out the herd, save money, etc. during a period of time when resources are tight for the airlines. Plus, they rolled miles for years during covid so there a million people with platinum, etc.

Monsterdood and Phl218 like this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Pay toilets are next...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Complete BS on delta’s end

they are up for a Bud Light moment.

my plat status is secured for 2024 but i will downgrade my delta amex to the $0 fee one and get me
    The amex platinum where the fees basically pay themselves and you get the centurion lounges as well

sucks for the comf plus auto upgrades but well, now i can fly biz to india finding another airline bargain instead of working on “status”

the delta amex group on fb is a good place to read through that mess.

and just 3 days ago i had a good chat with a FA on AMS-ATL about what a great airline delta is :whoosh:

cpettit likes this.
  9. khill

khill Well-Known Member

I've been Platinum Med for years and also have the AE card for lounge access, it's been pretty damn good. I think with the restructure I'll be good through 2025, but I'll downgrade my card probably late next year. I've also been flying Alaska, a lot. More direct flights and while not quite a nice as Delta, pricing is very good and they seem to be much more humble than Delta, so I may be making a move.

Ken

BigBird and crashman like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What do you expect when people shit down the aisle on a transatlantic flight?

418 likes this.
  11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Here’s a good analysis of the math of the new program. It looks like I could only guarantee Silver for 2025 if I roll over my MQMs to MQDs. I think I might prefer the conversion to miles instead. So maybe January 2025 is when I stop worrying about going after Delta status unless I have a couple of international business trips for work.

https://frequentmiler.com/deltas-2024-elite-program-it-aint-pretty/

12. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I'm probably ly in the minority but this makes it easier for me. I book a lot of expensive last minute flights but they are short hops like DTW to OHR and the like. So I never get MQMs or MQS to make much more than gbold. But spend should now net me Platinum or better.

13. Having been diamond for 5 plus years, which I won’t get next year this wouldn’t have set me back much. Usually spend well over $100k a year with delta.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Alaska is what I have been flying for the last several years. They are pretty decent. A good thing with Alaska is the lounge membership is less money and the lounges are not nearly as crowded. And you can get the Lounge+ membership for an extra $100 to have access to all of the American and various partner lounges as well.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Dayum! Who pays for that? That's alotta race slicks!

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was already on the fence some about staying nearly 100% with them. I normally hit Plat by July or so and with the MQD numbers for Diamond way out of reach i was thinking of spending more time on AA. This new Skypeso change means my new prime carrier will be AA. I have Plat thru the end of 2024 with DL so if I need to I can fly them and keep some perks next year.

I really want to cancel or downgrade my DL Amex as the fee is due next month. Also I am hopeful enough people do this they will see they messed up. If the Amex spend conversion on a card I PAY for was decent I would be assured of DL Plat and I wouldn't have needed to change.

Yeah they like you. I try to be cheaper with my travel and my MQD spend normally would only get me Gold....its the Amex waiver that converts me to Plat. They dont like me. So I'm leaving.

damn. That's 360 money level. You ever get the Porsche treatment?

Phl218 likes this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Me over here realizing it's been 8 years since I had to be somewhere so fast I had to get into a 400 MPH aluminum can with a couple of hundred other people.

Don't miss it a bit.

18. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

One of the things I really love about delta is the 70lb bags for folks with status. Flying with MTB a lot, it’s nice knowing I can throw bike plus gears in my evoc bag and I’m usually right at 70lb, so flying free over the country with your bike is nice. AA and United still give you max 50lb bags.

I tried switching to AA a few years ago, but they were such a hassle for anything, especially changing flights. I got used to be swapping flights same day to any airport, so if LGA had an early flight than my JFK flight, I could make the switch in the app on the way to the airport with delta.

I will see how my spend works out next year before I jump ship, my new gig is likely going to have some international flights, and two business class tickets get you almost to Diamond. I also will just put the kids tuition on the reserve card to jump up my spend for the year to hopefully make the 75k minimum. The less painful companion ticket with the reserve card pays for itself on top of lounge access for me.

I will say i am not happy at all with the changes, and hopefully there will be a reset. But what a kick in the teeth to domestic only travelers.

Monsterdood likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If the kids had their way we’d be on a flight every other day.

My once every year or two is plenty.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Yes. Range Rovers in the UK as well. In the UK it’s great as our office was about 80-120 miles from airports. I’d have them drop me off and pick me up at my rental car. Made life a lot easier especially when arriving at 7am.