1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XS750 chain drive

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Commander_Chaos, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

Looking at an XS750 for a project but it needs to be chain drive. I remember hearing there was a kit for it but I'm sure those are all gone now.

Is it a big deal to do? I do a little machine work and I'm always up for a challenge.

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

the coolest and most complete site for xs750 related info when up in flames about 7-8 years ago.
    Entire database lost...

everything you could every want to know about that bike was in there.
    I recall a couple chain drive conversion threads. Not for the faint of heart.

i think the middle drive gear (removing it requires a brace for the sprocket), chain clearances with the frame and distance of the counter sprocket to swingarm pivot were major issues.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I seem to recall that the largest countershaft sprocket that would fit before there was case clearance issues in front of the cs was 13t. I think I saw pics of one that had modifieed the cases by cutting and welding to allow a larger cs.

JCW likes this.
  4. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Meh. If you really want a challenge start off with a TX750. It already gots plenty of chains...

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, and they leak oil so bad the drive chain lasts forever......:crackup:

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Fondly remembering those years when a two year model run for a Japanese motorcycle was considered a career ending design failure.