1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Me... sports/school backpack for teen

Discussion in 'General' started by bullockcm, Sep 13, 2023.

1. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

My son needs a backpack to accommodate school stuff(laptop, books, etc) and at least in the fall soccer equipment(spikes, socks, shin guards, change of clothes). I've been looking and haven't found anything which really hits the nail on the head. In theory 2 bags is the right answer but for this kid 1 is a big enough struggle so ideally it all fits in 1 bag. Long story short a flood 2 years ago closed the school facilities including locker rooms near the sports fields so they have to carry everything with them.

Anyone been down this road before and have a good recommendation for a backpack that fits up to a 15" laptop, a couple textbooks or binders, and sports equipment?

2. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I have had very good luck with an Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack. A little pricey but works well.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My kid has used a bunch of different ones. My Oakley kitchen sink (great for the school side, less good for sports), UA (okay all around), NB (good all around), stx (I use this now for coaching, not great), an older deBeer (huge and well built but weird pocket setup) and a Nike.

really, it’s what you need as your primary use and how much crap you’re hauling. She ended up using two but had a place to put the one that wasn’t in use.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have the Osprey Ozone as my work/travel/gym/ everyday bag. Holds my laptop and clothing/gear etc. Osprey makes some good stuff. you won't be disappointed.

or look at the Jansport Agave. Jansport backpacks are cheap but have lifetime warranties.

BigBird likes this.
  5. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Dakine or Tumi

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One thing I’d recommend after learning it the hard way is if you’re really going to try and use it for a one for all bag is get one with a zippered separate area on the bottom for the cleats. Well, I’d tell you to find this even if you end up with two backpacks, have this in the one for sports.
    And take the cleats out often, air them out along with airing out the zippered section.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what kind of sport so with that in mind, I also use the Oakley Kitchen sink for traveling and it fits a lot of stuff with a separate sleeve for the laptop that also has an outside zipper for easy access. It is very durable and has lasted me for at least 5 years so far with no signs of any damage. I've taken this thing all over the world as a carry on. You would probably fit a pair of cleats and a shirt and a shorts and socks along with the laptop and books but that's about it. There is a zipper area on teh bottom for shoes but putting them down there takes away from the main pouch storage. There is a front pouch that will fit a fair amount of school needed stuff, calculator, pens/pencils, etc.. I've seen them as cheap as $130 and retail is $240. Mine was somewhere in between as I didn't want to wait a year to get it. Good luck.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'm on my second one. Thing works perfectly for what the kid needs.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

Not in use every day but still my favorite backpack I own by far.

Really like the side zipper for the laptop - great in airports and would be helpful in school for sure.

10. Hyperdyne

I received a Lenovo "Brick" in my current gig that I have to put in the inside because it won't fit in the back laptop case. Pretty sure it could qualify as a carrier plate.

11. Hyperdyne

I always keep my cleats/boots in a seperate bag. Adidas/Nike/Puma.. They all make them and it helps keep the dirt, etc.. out. It's also good if they are using replaceable studs to keep them and and the tool all together.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I refused to go that route so the kid couldn’t just leave them in the car. Getting that stink out of the car, especially after a rain game was next to impossible. :D

Bring them in, stick newspaper or paper dunnage paper in them and dry them out in the sun if possible. Eventually had her rotating between pairs of cleats especially if we couldn’t dry them properly. Saved on blisters and the overwhelming stench. :crackup:

reminds me, got to start looking for a new set of cleats for her. White new balance! Woot! :crackup:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screw that, seal the stick in ziploc and let her deal with it next game...

15. Hyperdyne

Oh hell no. The shoe bag goes inside the backpack or it clips on with a carabiner. Considering how long it took me to break a pair in, those things were always cleaned and dried. My Cop's and World Cup's lasted a long time.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

‘Dyne, you’re talking European kickie ball cleats, right? Those things are insane.
    The NB my kid wears are awesome but wouldn’t work for soccer. They break in fast and comfortable right out of the box.

17. Hyperdyne

Soccer and Rugby boots. I wore the same one's for both sports since I was a wing in both sports (moonlighted as a hooker and a fullback in Rugby). The Copa's came out in 79 and honestly haven't changed much at all since 82. Same for the World Cups and the Original Samba's. They are all Kangaroo leather too (except Samba's). Best boot ever. Just like leathers today, get them soaking wet and play in them. Let them dry, condition the leather and you're golden.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I wear Sambas and the new ones (last 5 years or so) are kinda crap. I did get a pair of the retro all leather ones a few years ago and they were the shit. The white ones I had seemed to be made to the original spec and didn’t suck.
    I used to get the Puma version of the sambas and those kicked ass. Then all of a sudden they stopped bringing them to the US.

I was reading that NB has been releasing some soccer boots that rival the top of the line adidas. Freaked the euros out! :D

19. Hyperdyne

Legit they made some vegan ones. They sucked bad. You can can find some NOS all leather ones which are good. There will always be a pair in my closet

20. That’s my rule. Only had to do it twice for him to learn :/)