1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a cheap Jeep

Discussion in 'General' started by BlueR32, Sep 5, 2023.

1. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

I know this sounds like I might be looking for a unicorn, but I have a lot of respect for this forum and its members and I would buy from folks I trust rather than deal with the great unknown. I've had a couple of bad experiences in the past (subsequent mechanical failure) buying high mileage used vehicles (not bikes) off Craigslist.

A couple of years ago my wife & I bought a small manufactured home in Salida CO to escape the North Carolina summer humidity(where we live for the rest of the year). This summer has been fantastic and I've started to get interested in exploring unpaved roads and doing some light off-roading. The idea would be to buy a used Jeep 4x4 to leave at the cabin and use it as daily transport while we are here. I've set a top budget of $10,000. Cosmetics are not that important but it does have to be mechanically sound with working AC. I don't want to end up with an unreliable money pit.

If anyone happens to have or know of something for sale (ideally in NC or CO or nearby) that would meet my criteria I would love to hear from you.

code3ryder likes this.
  2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My hunting buddies is looking for a home but ac needs fixing and so does the 4x4 up front. Heat works and blower so it's likely a compressor issue of sorts
    He just got a Cummins powered ram so its sitting in driveway
    Already has the big tires on it. Color is silver, 2 door, rag top. He'd probably take half that budget that your max is

He put a jasper motor in it around 30k miles ago so it'll get ya from A to B reliably but it's no show car . Most all is highway miles from going to work and going to his property each weekend

BigBird likes this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

$10k, jeep and reliable :)
    $15k buys you fj cruiser and you get it all.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Jeep purists shun them, but my ‘95 YJ Wrangler with a 4.0 I-6, 5sp manual was unbreakable. I did my best to kill it, but it just kept going and going.

Prices are going up on them, but they’re still affordable.

Wingnut, renegade17 and 27 like this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That is a jeep in its only true form… I’ve had at least one amc jeep since I was 14… the 304/360 was ok but the 4.0 I6 and the commandtrac are what makes them a jeep…

I’ll never have one newer than an 04 as that’s when they killed the 4.0… I’ll just use Toyotas after these are finally done

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Good luck finding an FJ for 15k. The prices are moving up on those things.

BigBird and cpettit like this.
  7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I traded in an 07 FJ with 181k miles and got 12,800 for it in 2018. I couldn't buy it back for that today.

BigBird likes this.
  8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Depends on what your definition of cheap is. My 03 Rubicon, I wouldn’t entertain an offer under 15k. Even then, it’s iffy.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep. Get something older with the 4.0...Wrangler (YJ/TJ) or Cherokee (XJ). Only real issue with the 4.0 is the 00-01...something like that...has head/gasket issues. If you want to go nuts plenty of aftermarket for engine and chassis

You may have hunt around but you can find XJ's in good shape for well within your budget. And since they are a Dodge....parts bin build....you can 'upgrade' by using parts from other models for low $$$

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Yep, I had a 94 YJ with the I6 and manual trans. I did lockers in the front and rear. changed out the gears and ran some 35 inch tires on 16inch rims. I took out the carpeting and just had the bikini top on all the time. Loved that Jeep. Simple to work on and could wheel anywhere.

And Salida is a great location in Colorado. You're within driving distance of some fantastic places. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  11. TWF2

They are around, just need to be patient and look. I got one few months back, replaced JKU I had and sold for huge profit. I never had issue with JKU it was good car but FJ is better in every way, imo.
    Problem with jeeps is they are holding value and cheap ones are beaten up. Also had XJ I sold this year for $8k. For reliability and everyday driving I would take nice one over 2 door old beater jeep that cost more.

Attached Files:

BigBird likes this.
  12. TWF2

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That's a clean XJ. :beer:

14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

15. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Not a hard core Jeeper(although I do have a 98 Wrangler in the shed), but while a FJ would probly be more reliable, I could see the attraction of being able to take the top off while cruising the passes in Chaffee County. :cool:

cpettit likes this.
  16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

17. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I have 95 YJ for sale but it doesnt have A/C

18. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

grab a old chevy/geo tracker. my old one was really reliable. top comes off as well.

19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Suzuki Samurai

20. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Not how it works.
    IMG_2037.jpeg

Pixelator likes this.