1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious philosophical question

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Aug 22, 2023.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I’ve heard of ergot poisoning from rye bread, but what neurologically toxic intoxicant is there in baked dog shit?

CBRRRRR999 and auminer like this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Mushrooms grow great on dogshit.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Ergot poisoning is sometimes blamed for both outbreaks of lycanthropy in medieval Europe and witchcraft in puritan New England. I wonder if werewolf feces are a possible vector?

pickled egg likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe there is something that happens after all of this. But I think whether you believe there is or their isn't, you might as well spend your life trying to be a mensch.....otherwise you're just being an asshole, amiright?

dave3593 likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hicks… esque… we’ll done and good luck

6. nigel smith

We risk encroaching on dungeon territory if we continue in this vein, but if you accept that we are each a fraction of the total energy in the universe, then we can not be destroyed. The form in which we might continue is fodder for a discussion elsewhere.

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I usually enjoy your views and this one as well. It seems like it should be a conversation between Calvin and Hobbes under the stars.

I always thought that being happy would be easy, just figure out what makes you happy. Luckily racing did that for me for decades.

Next chapters are harder as you may still have the passion the drives you but lack the physical ability to continue that trajectory.

I do know that all of my best memories are shared with other like minded passionate good people. While I consider myself an outlier in most situations the adventures I treasure most are the shared ones.

tophyr likes this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I just posted that very quote yesterday:D

John Branch likes this.
  9. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

The way you posit the question, there is no purpose. But there’s much more to this existence than that. Whether you choose to believe that is up to you.

David-imoddavid and tophyr like this.
  10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Which coincidentally was my comp number.

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Perhaps this Isaac Asimov story, The Last Question", is appropriate here.
    Here is the link for those of you that read.
    https://xpressenglish.com/our-stories/the-last-question/

cha0s#242, JBall and tophyr like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah I mean I'm not even attempting at getting remotely into the metaphysical minutiae of energy and friction and vibrations and yada yada yada.....starts to sound too much like some space cadet chick talking about "manifesting the man of my dreams" and "putting out my spiritual vibrational energy into the universe" type stuff.

I'd say Gandalf summed it up well when he said....

[​IMG]

Fuzzy317, Rdrace42 and 2blueYam like this.
  14. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

Good one!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yep, exactly! Your purpose can be anything you want, but you have to assign it. No one else can do it for you.

And then, similarly, your successes - and failures - are only ever as important as you decide they are. If you celebrate your successes, they will be celebrated... and for me, at least, I find it easier to look past my failures when I remember that nothing else in the entire universe cares enough about my purposes to even consider the concept of my failure.

We create our own worlds. I just try to make mine a happy one.

Rico888 likes this.
  16. nigel smith

A good read. I was a big Asimov fan in my youth, but eventually decided I wanted a little more character development in my reading. As good as his writing is, I can't help but feel that he considered the humans in his stories to be simply a device to further the tale.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I am the walrus therefore get off my lawn.

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

That’s 1620HRS to a West Point graduate.

Oh fuck, so now you’re pondering a shooting spree?

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I’m gonna guess you have some time on your hands. Read a book and feel better.

I recommend Solzhenitsyn.

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It all will never make sense, its a waste of time trying to figure it out. Enjoy your time on this earth every day and all of the good things around you because eventually it will be gone