1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious philosophical question

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Aug 22, 2023.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What is the purpose of living such a fragile, finite life amongst an infinite universe.

Most of our bodies, the hydrogen, has been around since ~300,000 years after the big bang. The rest was cooked up in the cores of ancient stars.

We are, fundamentally, a pattern of atoms that is suddenly capable of pondering itself and its origins.

Why7

Wingnut likes this.
  2. ton

ton Arf!

Beer

DJ Baker, Sabre699, motoboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I just ponder how to do better wheelies. Besides, this is all just a simulation.

SGVRider and kirk erlinger like this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Well we know that joint wasn’t bogarted………..:p

ToofPic, OldGuyOnBlu, R1M370 and 3 others like this.
  5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

We'll never know.

But here we are!

SGVRider likes this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Nihilism rocks. Or maybe it sucks. Either way, it doesn't matter. Go for a walk with your dog and then make a cup of coffee. You'll quickly recover from this alarming philosophical bent.

SGVRider, OutOfSpec and tophyr like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

All philosophical questions involving living organisms lead to the same conclusion. The path may be more or less tortuous depending on the question, but the answer is "copulation."

8. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the website below every day recently. Pictures of things millions of light years away. Not millions of miles. Millions of light years. I don't like it. Makes me feel small. Really small. I'm important, goddammit.

Astronomy Picture of the Day (nasa.gov)

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Pussy :D

SGVRider, StaccatoFan and brex like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I tried to say it politely. :D

tiggen likes this.
  11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

we are star dust - looking at stars. you ask why, i think its amazing. from the origins of the water that makes up our world and bodies to the creation of energy itself from the sun...were just part of this chain that has been going on since the beginning of time. our energy will continue on after we are gone as well.

ToofPic likes this.
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I DO like beating around the bush!

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If I'm going to get my balls blown off for a word......

[​IMG]

cha0s#242, StaccatoFan and tiggen like this.
  14. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Scooby-Dooby-Doo, WHY are you?

15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Asexual reproduction would tend to refute this hypothesis. Parthenogenesis may not be much fun, but the end result is the same. If you had posited that the purpose of life is to propagate more life, that would be a defensible claim. Sadly, or perhaps fortuitously, life has only the meaning you give it.

27 and tophyr like this.
  16. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Genuinely zero sarcasm, facetiousness, or snark in this statement: The absolutely-most comforting realization I have ever come to, is that I'm not important. Not to the world. I cannot be, because none of us can be; we are simply a thin layer of chemically-reactive hydrocarbon goo coating the outer crust of a liquid silicate ball. (They're Made Out Of Meat)

However just because I am not important to the universe, doesn't mean I have to be unimportant to myself. Since my life and my self are inherently meaningless, I get to assign them whatever meaning I want. So, find something that makes you happy, and dedicate your time to it. You will be the most important thing in that pursuit's existence.

ToofPic, gixer1100, cav115 and 5 others like this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm here to make money for The Ex.

DucatiBomber, cav115, ToofPic and 5 others like this.
  19. John Branch

John Branch 90125

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration"
    "That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively"
    "There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves"

20. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Its always 4:20 somewhere :D