1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel Techs I Need Your Help

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I screwed up once with my best friends diesel pickup. I got distracted with a business phone call and topped off his diesel with gas, like a freaking idiot!!!!!

I drove it from where I filled up to my shop which was probably 20 miles. Went to start it at a restaurant a block from my place and it wouldn't start. Then called my buddie and he never had a problem with the truck, I think it had 50-100k on it at the time. So I looked at my receipt and figured out I FUBAR'd. The dealer screwed me too, because they not only changed the filters, but as I recall they hammered me to drop the tank to drain it. I doubt they did. I seem to recall it costing me between $1000 and $2500, but that was 15 years ago and I can't remember. I was more worried it might cause an engine problem and they said not to worry about that. He still has the truck and it has been fine.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I did that with rental car in Europe, put gas instead diesel. It run few miles before misfiring and stopping.
    All I did is pull rubber hose from fuel tank and sucked all gas out of the tank. Put diesel in and it fired after few starts. Drove car another 2 weeks without issue.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Pump should not need replaced...and that is way too high to drain and fill.

27 likes this.
  4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

But only for a few seconds.

5. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

Not much help, since your truck is already at the dealer.
    Condensed version; Contaminated the fuel tank with gasoline. Drained it, purged fuel rails, changed filter, and 10k later it’s working fine.
    Long version; Returning from a long Daytona trip, -10 temps in Colorado, Wyoming, road closures, etc so I’m dead ass tired.
    Pulling a 36ft trailer with a Duramax LML with the dreaded CP3 fuel pump that shits the bed if you even look at it funny.
    Pulled into an old Sinclair station in BF Oregon, started fueling, walked around the rig to check everything, got back to the pump and realized I’m pumping gasoline, not diesel. Really old pump, diesel was on the right, gas on the left, backwards from most. I put 20 gallons of gas in it.
    Pulled around behind the station and spent the next two hours draining the tank, purging the fuel rails and changing the filter. Luckily I had a couple of empty VP cans to put the contaminated fuel in And extra fuel filters, yeah I’m that guy.
    Filled it with fresh diesel, dumped in a bunch of Lucas additives. Changed filters again when I got home.
    Still using that contaminated fuel in my lawn mower and pressure washer
    Sucks that you’re getting charged $2500, but then again our rate is currently almost $200 hr
    Still, it took less than 2hr, on my back, in a muddy back lot.
    I should have gotten $2500 for that

6. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I'm sorry that happened. I'm always paranoid when fueling up my sprinter that I'm not somehow accidentally filling it with DEF. Hope it doesn't turn into a bigger nightmare.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Any updates?

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Put diesel in a CBR1000RR once - Stupid station had the gas pumps with green handle and the diesel pumps were black. Filling it I was like wtf this looks like premix. Lucky I never started it or cycled it.

9. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Service writer at Ford finally sent repair estimate over Saturday and only sent estimate to replace everything. Had to call him yesterday and ask him to send me the quote for the cheaper repair of cleaning tank and replacing filters and pump. The cheaper repair is now $3200 . I asked point blank if someone has started the truck and he says no. I asked what codes it has because they did not list and he wasn’t sure exactly. It feels like they really only want to do the big job.

I called a shop back in California that worked on my 04 that I trust. He said if truck was not started they would clean tank, flush lines and replace filters. He said odd it has codes if they did not start the truck.

tophyr and cav115 like this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They started the truck...

There's no way for the ECU to know it needs to set codes unless the code setting criteria were met.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, and think it is time to escalate to management.

Zoomie and Banditracer like this.
  12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Get it to a trusted independent.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That service writer is 100% full of shit.

Technician notes would list ANY codes that came up, and the service writer wouldn’t need to go searching for them.

I’d second getting that thing towed out of there to a competent independent diesel tech.

And prep the lawyer…

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, he's actively lying to you. Escalate to the general manager or the owner of that dealership; they owe you a fully paid repair from an independent shop.

cav115 likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The repair will probably go quicker at a dealership if he has all the emissions shit in place.

I'd sit down with the manager, explain everything, and dictate the repair you want. If not, contact the state attorney generals office. They don't fuck around here in MI.

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I obviously can`t speak to prospective shops, but most dealers are terrible with service, as the dealer makes his money elsewhere and they have super high overhead, resulting in 200-300 per hour rates, and not knowing how competent your tech will be.

I would still find a good independent that is up to speed. If they are up to speed, better in every way.

And tell that dealer to pound sand. Sounds like they are outright trying to fuck you.

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

i'm oddly invested in following how this turns out

Once a Wanker.. and Dragginass like this.
  18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Just FYI.
    DEF will not mix with diesel. It is more dense and will sink to the bottom of the tank like water. I know this because I have a jar sitting on my desk at work with Jet A and DEF in it. I mixed the two in a glass jar to see what would happen. When I shook the jar they "mix" momentarily but then separate out very quickly. DEF will leave crystal like contaminants on the parts of the fuel system it touches. It will not just just rinse off; well at least not with normal cleaners.
    I work in the aircraft industry and we've encountered this a few time unfortunately (see link that Dave Wolfe posted).

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

You’re going to be ok. Usually the damage happens because the due to someone grabbing the the wrong pump at a fuel station. More than likely they’re at the fuel station on because they’re low on fuel then they add a good bit of DEF before they realize it.
    The times I’ve seen it the fuel filters clog up and drop fuel pressure too low to run the engine before any damage is caused to the fuel system. Still pricey to remove and clean the fuel tanks. In your case I’d just drain and fill the fuel tank change the filters and run it. Then change the fuel filters once more next time you fill as well if you’re worried about it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  20. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Delete the damn thing.

Its been a bit. Still no dungeon, eh?:D

cav115 likes this.