1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I've shot a few types. All have been good. I'd give my middle nut for a 1006. The 610 revolver can tame the nastiest of loads for it. A buddy has the SIG 220 which is great fun as it's handful of iron, but some 180 grain factory loads (forget which, I think Prvi or something) were too long to fit in the mags and feed. It also has the recoil spring from hell, so light loads don't cycle real well.

I own an M&P 10mm with a Delta Point Pro. I somehow ended up with too many S&W plastic guns lately, but all of them are crazy accurate. Mine will eat the stuff the 220 doesn't like. no jams in about 600 rounds with no cleanings yet, still in torture test phase.

Like Res. Plarp indicates with his Glock, it shoots 40 just fine. Not something I'd say should be tried in all guns, but for me, it's worked. The one Glock I shot was a tack driver and stone reliable too while I was shooting it.

I've shot and loaded ammo for it from .40 mild to things that'll clap your scapula, it's a pretty versatile cartridge.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I use MSA Sordins and love them. I also have a huge noggin.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting out there and competing. I’ve always just used the foam plugs and when I’m shooting the rifle with a brake I use the plugs that are molded to your ear. I made them with a kit I got at bass pro. I absolutely hate the head sets.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

So I’ve thrown some stupid money at gun stuff and I see the value in protecting my hearing but, I have to know, what makes these $200-$300 better than the Walkers I have now?

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. GixxerJohn011

Thanks! It was a lot of fun and I definitely got to work on some things that I couldn’t at most of the places I shoot. One thing I really need to work on is off hand only shooting.

I was hesitant because I figured I’d get sucked down the race gun rabbit hole and that stuff just doesn’t apply to anything but competitions. Both guns that I carry fall into Carry Optics so I think I’ll just hang out there with gear I actually carry and see how far I can go.

speedluvn likes this.
  6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Fit - spreads the load out a bit better and allows me to wear my fishing hat over it
    Comfort - gel pads around the ear are much more comfortable long term as opposed to foam
    Seal - gel also seems to seal better; I don't run foamies inside and have never had a problem even when shooting some monster calibers with massive brakes and it still works perfectly fine even if your batteries die
    Sound quality - I actually run mine at almost the lowest volume and can still hear my buddies and other people at the range just fine. The sound gate/amplification/tuning is very well done

I haven't played with a lot of different ear pro but these are the things that have stood out to me compared to some of the other stuff I've played with. Been running these things for about 5 years and no complaints.

MachineR1, Sabre699 and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  7. GixxerJohn011

Sounds good, I’ll check them out.

8. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

You can get gel replacement pads for your Walkers. They are definitely an improvement over the regular pads. I think I paid $20 on amazon. But, I will eventually upgrade to the Sordins.

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I too concerned the S&W 10xx series but after seeing the prices and considering it was s single stack and how it fit my hand I looked in other directions.

It seems that all-metal semi handguns are becoming a thing of the past.

I was surprised to see that some of the personal defense rounds are upwards of $2 per round! I've never paid attention to that sorta thing. Ignorance is bliss.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Where y'all buying ammo? I've used

PSA
    Wideners
    Ammoman
    GeorgiaArms

About to use SGAMMO it looks like the go to spot right now. Prices are still stupid everywhere but oh well.

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If one place always had the cheapest ammo everyone else would quickly go out of business... that's why ya need to use Ammoseek or the like to find the best deals.
    That said, get on Bereli's email list, they have good "flash deals" on ammo and other stuff

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I do ammo square. Its a subscription base deal. You do X amount of money either weekly bi weekly,whatever you choose. You choose the ammo caliber and what style you want and when you want it to ship (round count and dollar amount)

It is alittle over priced. I dont have to drive anywhere and I dont think about it. I come home and boom 1k rounds on my door step. Really like it.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've used ammoseek for many years. It's useful to find the median price but he posts a lot of sketchy vendors. Not familiar w Bereli I'll check it out.

14. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Normashooting.com usually has some decent deals to be found

15. GixxerJohn011

https://supervelammunition.com/
    I buy reloads for the range but I haven’t had one issue out of probably getting close to 10,000 rounds of 9 and .223. They also have factory ammo. Once I run through the defensive ammo I have I’ll be switching to their SCHP.

Steeltoe likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm on their emailing list :flag:

omatter34 likes this.
  17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I agree that the half/half pistols are getting the biggest market share but look how the new steel Canik and the steel M&P were received. For Canik and Smith to add those models and the huge amount of steelies sold every year I believe they’ll never be gone nor should they.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Youve just lost so many tacticool points! I figured you handloaded errythang you shot beyond published limits.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

SAAMI is just a suggestion, not a rule :beer:

speedluvn likes this.
  20. GixxerJohn011

I need some beeb expertise. I’ve got the itch to modify something and the plastic guide rod on my PDP looks like it’s going to get the nod. The go to replacement seems to be the Walther tungsten RSA or the ZR tactical RSA in either a 13 or 15 lb spring.

There are people claiming the PDP is over sprung from the factory (what do those Walther engineers know?) and that the lighter ZR RSA reduces recoil. That doesn’t make sense to me, wouldn’t a lighter spring increase recoil and have parts smacking into each other faster and wearing faster?

The Walther tungsten guide rod, I believe it’s the same spring weight, is
    Over 2 ounces heavier which they claim helps you get back on target faster. That makes more sense to my non engineer brain.

What says the beeb? I don’t want to mess with reliability as I am starting to carry this gun more and more. I’m just looking to get rid of a plastic part and if I can get back on target faster that’s a nice bonus.