1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect TRACK TOOL BOX

Discussion in 'Race Gear and Accessories For Sale' started by SlingWing, Jul 4, 2023.

1. SlingWing

SlingWing Well-Known Member

One of kind, near perfect IMO, track tool box.

This tool box is inspired by the dolly style Milwaukee pack out system. I had a pack-out system (but it was stolen), and loved the dolly style mobility. Easy in and out of the trailer, and moving over unimproved surfaces. Always thought the pack-out drawers were too deep for small hand tools, and there wasn’t enough of them. Had to stack tools in each drawer.

So after my pack-out system was stolen, I modified this tool cart (was on 4 casters) I had in the garage.

I worked with a welder to make a frame and axles on the back, put on large airless wheels, and mounted thick rubber pads on the bottom so it wouldn’t move or damage the floor in the trailer. I also added foam tool cutouts in the drawers. Cutouts will go with the box but I’m keeping the tools.

Things I love about this box:
    • Drawer depth and width. The thin drawers let you organize tools by type instead of stacking all different kinds of tools in one drawer. Drawers are wide enough for torque wrenches and some breaker bars
    • Deep drawer on bottom. Great for parts/misc bulky stuff
    • Wooden work surface on top
    • Mounted vice for drilling/prying
    • Mobility (mud/sand/grass no issue)
    • Lockable
    This box was made out of necessity and preference. Could’ve saved a lot of time and money if something like this was available to buy.

Will cost a fortune to ship, suggest meeting up (near durham, NC), or at a track like VIR, NCBike, and maybe CMP.

I’ll let it go for $500

IMG_6994.jpeg IMG_6993.jpeg IMG_6995.jpeg IMG_7002.jpeg IMG_7007.jpeg IMG_6996.jpeg IMG_6997.jpeg IMG_6998.jpeg IMG_6999.jpeg IMG_7001.jpeg

2. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

which company did you go with for the custom foam organization?

3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's called Kaizen foam. You cut the tool shapes out yourself so you can customize your tool layout/ Look up Kaizen foam on Amazon.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Looks like standard "kaizen" style foam. You can get it pretty cheap through Amazon. I use it for my toolbox as well.

G2G likes this.
  5. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

really? wow that looks way better than all the kaizen ones ive seen, did you use a router or something to make your cuts? looks very clean

6. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I didn't do this one, but if you use the right Xacto type knife you can do pretty good by just tracing the outline of your tools and cutting to the right depth.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  7. SlingWing

So I did this box and can’t remember the foam brand, will have to look it up.

I ordered from the manufacturer because I wanted an exact width and depth, that was perfectly square.

And just a warning, making those cutouts were NOT easy. Mostly because the main foam has adhesive on the bottom and you have to cut through it. So it gums up the razor pretty quick. Spent several hours on just the cutouts.

8. SlingWing

So I tried exacto/razors. Went okay then tried those foam cutter wires, that heat up with electricity. Ended up going back with the razor technique. I traced the outline on the bottom of the wax paper covering the adhesive (makes everything backwards so plan for that). Plus, a sharpie doesn’t really stay on that paper so once you make all those lines your hands end up rubbing the outlines off.

If I did again I would probably put some paper on top of the foam, secure it, draw my lines, cut to the adhesive but not through, and once I got everything mostly cut. Then go back through the adhesive.

Trick is having a good fresh razor, the adhesive won’t allow that.

9. SlingWing

And cutting inside your sharpie line. Can’t make the hole smaller but you can make it bigger.

10. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this is pretty self explanatory, but just to make sure... this is just the tool box empty without any tools right?

11. SlingWing

Correct. Tools are not included. But u can have the foam inserts if you want them

William Schneider likes this.
  12. SlingWing

Think the inserts cost me 250 if I remember correctly. So good idea if you can use them and make your tools work

William Schneider likes this.
  13. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

This thing is sweet but probably not for my needs. GLWS!

14. SlingWing

Dimension info

- Cabinet: 28.25" wide, 18.25" deep, 30" tall
    - Bar on front: extends out 2.5"
    - Handle bar on back/top: 11.25" above wooden work surface
    - Wheel impact on width: They extend out from cabinet 3.75" each. So add 7.5" to total width
    - Wheel impact on depth: Very back edge of wheels are ~ 5.5" from back of cabinet. This is roughly how far away the box will sit from the inside trailer wall. The wheels do not contact the ground when the box is level. It rests on its 4 rubber feet (made from auto lift pads). To get it rolling, the box has to be tilted back a bit if that makes sense. This is why you need 5-6 inches of space up top (between the trailer wall and the top handle), so it can be tilted onto its wheels. If the handle is raised higher, it increases the gap required to get it onto the wheels. If the handle is lowered, it decreases your leverage and makes it much harder to move.

Drawers info

- Internal: 23.25" wide, 15 3/8" deep, 1.75" tall (this is the wall height of left and right drawer sides). There's actually 2 3/8" available before a tool will contact the drawer above.
    - Large bottom drawer: Same as above but is 9.25" tall

15. SlingWing

16. Lando

Lando Well-Known Member

This box is awesome!
    …I’d have to ship it…
    Wondering what it weighs and the dimensions if you took off the external stuff (put in drawer or handle lay flat on top?)
    I’ll get a quote if you’re willing to help with shipping - perfectly fine to say “no thanks” :)

17. TrackNewbie

TrackNewbie New Member

Awesome box. Damn, I live in Raleigh and wish I needed this. I'm brand new to track riding so it's probably overkill for my needs at this point, plus I'm broke after buying all my track riding gear.

buzz-06 likes this.
  18. SlingWing

Thanks man. Heads up…it never ends….hope u have a good job lol

19. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I need but need to sell my BIG tool box first.

20. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Do you have an idea what the box weighs empty?