1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer bearings

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Jun 8, 2023.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

How loose or tight do you like your bearings? How much end play? A new-ish to me car trailer had a couple rims with some side slop (end play)...a little more movement than I like.

I tightened the nut up a 1 cotter hole and now there is none to almost no end play. The wheel spins free.

Hubs have bearing buddies and lots of grease.

Do you prefer a little too much end play or slop to none? Or should I loosen them back 1 cotter hole?

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If I have to choose between a 1 cotter hole difference I lean a little loose vs a little tight. Never had a problem. A little too tight can case too much heat and a lot of problems. My $0.02

Shenanigans and Cooter! like this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If you tightened it up 1 cotter hole and it still spins freely, I think they are adjusted okay. You used the term "none to almost no end play" so there is a slight amount of play, probaby just right.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Check for excessive heat after so many miles down the highway. I use the back of my hand, just in case. If you can smell the heat, definitely too tight.
    Keep in mind the brakes will add heat to the equation.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pfft. Like anyone’s trailer brakes actually work. :Poke: ;)

Dragginass, Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  6. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I have three 7K lb axles on my Toy Hauler (Dexter brand) and their maint guide states that you should torque them to 50 ft lbs. to "set" them, then back the nut off until finger tight, then lock them in place there. I cleaned and repacked all of them and fresh seals before our 5000 mile trip out west in 2021 and zero issues.

sheepofblue and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. ChemGuy

I think I will check them after a few miles tomorrow. I have about 500miles each way to go get a tractor I bought at auction...in middle of BFE PA.

Hopefully I wont have to adjust on the road tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i snug the nut, then a 1/4 turn back.

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

with already set bearings, finger tight to the tightest cotter hole. new bearing/race, snug to set, spin forward and reverse a bunch of times, then loosen, and finger tight to cotter hole. every stop, with every trailer I haul, before I do anything, I walk around the trailer, checking heat from tires, and the center hub... tells you a lot about the load, and condition of trailer, and the current trip. good luck!

It is THE reason I hate traveling on holidays... every idiot with a hoopty trailer, boat, etc... is out, with no concern if the tires are properly inflated, let alone hubs, bearings, spindles, springs etc... are good/maintained.

always a bunch on the side of the road, first and last day of a holiday weekend, summer, or winter. Ski

Zoomie, Once a Wanker.. and DaveB like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A 1/4 turn might be an old school accepted standard, but it just seems too loose for my over-thinking OCD.
    I torque 'em, spin the wheel, then back 'em off and re-set to a finger tight seat, spin the wheel, and re-apply a finger tightening. My spindles have lock washers, like for a c/s sprocket. Can't imagine having to get a finger tight seat with a cotter-ed crown nut but, at least, it's not a 1/4 turn.

11. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

The last set of Dexter axles I purchased specified .001" to .005" endplay. So not a lot, just not tight. As already noted just check for heat, etc.

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Carry spare bearings, grease, and tools.

Be ready to rescue yourself in the boonies.

Check mirrors for smoke every 10 minutes.

13. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

You could always swap nuts spindle to spindle. The threads are not all indexed to the cotter slots the same. If you know what I mean.

One cotter slot off no endplay is not too loose.

Zero endplay cold is too tight.

Cooter! likes this.
  14. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Old Porsche I had specified using a screwdriver to rotate the flat washer. Didn’t specify Phillips or flat screwdriver. Superior German engineering lol

15. ChemGuy

Made it to my Hotel in PA. No real heat from the two I snugged up. Tomorrow is the real trip with ~5k lbs of tractor on it...

Once a Wanker.. and skidooboy like this.
  16. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Love tractors!!

Pic!! Pic!! :D

17. ChemGuy

Nothing fancy... 30 HP chinese-y built but with a loader :beer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little fun last night about 60 miles from home....Spare got me home though. :beer::beer::beer:
    [​IMG]

SpeedyTide and 27 like this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

So your bearing job allowed the wheel to spin so fast the tire delaminated?
    Nice.

ChemGuy likes this.
  19. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Trailer flats don't count unless they completely annihilate the fender as well.

ToofPic and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Get Chanel locks, tighten until snug, not tight. Spin the wheel and loosen 1/4 turn,tighten 1/4 turn a few times with wheel spinning. Tighten until snug again and if you can set cotter pin , great, if not, loosen to the slot you can. It won’t be much. Tapered roller bearings need a little “slop” to operate properly.Too tight will cause excess heat and ruin the bearing. Even sealed bearings can use this although they should always be torqued to spec. (This is what kills a lot of alternators and drive pulleys on modern engines)