1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going overboard as a dad???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I have also enjoyed following this thread and was shocked to realize it’s been five years since it started. What? Anyway, congrats to Boomer!

pjzocc likes this.
  2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Same here, benn lurking and following. My 9yr old has been begging to box gmfor a few years so we finally started him at a boxing gym back in SEP or so. He's loving and is enjoying sparring too. We'll see how far he goes. I figured sparring was going to be the decision point for him once the punches start coming back at him instead of just hitting a bag, and he just got more into it.

Congrats to the kiddo on his victory!

pjzocc likes this.
  3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

It he’s ok with getting hit that’s the first hurdle. And as much as technique, physical conditioning is as important as your boy gets a little older. But get him doing isometric training and stretching as part of his routine now.

Good luck on his journey and keep me posted!!

lopitt85 likes this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You've got a great attitude about it. I agree with everything you wrote. Fighting is different from any other sport. Losses feel different, but so do wins. Great lessons in there that will serve him well in life. Nice work dad.

pjzocc likes this.
  5. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

PJ, first of all congrats to your boy and whole family.
    It’s been 5 years since I responded to your original post with similar experience about my boy David.
    Well proud to say he got his third degree black belt in TKD, he is student #42 who earned that in 30 years of school existence. Next step July National competition in Florida.

Yzasserina and pjzocc like this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You have a good kid PJ. It’s been fun following this thread and watching him progress, it’s one of the more interesting threads on here.

Yzasserina and pjzocc like this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If your kid has a passion, you kinda gotta give them as much opportunity to pursue it as your resources will allow. They will succeed and fail. And it’s ok. Like PJ said. They learn and grow from both.

success feeds their confidence

failure shows them how to bounce back, regroup, and rebound.

All the guys I was in Basic training with that struggled and failed had no team sports or passions. Adversity was overwhelming for them.

pjzocc likes this.
  8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The promoter finally posted all the fight videos if anyone wants to watch. Joe is in the red corner.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Next fight 7/22. It’ll be his last for a few months as he’s starting cycle for his 3rd degree the week after this fight. If you’re in NNY/Pulaski area c’mon out!!

Attached Files:

lopitt85 likes this.
  10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Weigh ins tonight! 134.8#. He’s #16/18 on the card tomorrow night, so he’ll have some downtime from 1530 till about 2130 before he gets in the ring. Kid has worked his ASS off this fight camp and is the best shape he’s ever been in. Can’t wait for fight night!

CAD22F29-CB46-4713-938B-99D3A74B24E4.jpeg 10C9EE98-309D-4259-8188-FBEDBA1D35BC.jpeg 8FCB2539-D99B-403C-9B2F-EE7391EDFDFE.jpeg

R1Racer99, TurboBlew and lopitt85 like this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Another W last night!!!

Holy crap... what a fight! Unanimous decision, and man was it a BATTLE! Boomer had the height and reach on the kid, but his opponent was TOUGH. Wrestler background, stout, strong, and could take a beating. Joe definitely took some shots last night as Sontino was able to land some hits when they were in close contact, especially in R1. Boomer was able to create distance and landed several kicks to the kid's head and chin. He used his lower body much better this fight than he did the last bout, and it helped open up the body so he could drop some body hooks.

This fight camp for Joe was hard. This was a 135# fight, and he was stuck at 144# for 2 weeks. Mrs. pJZocc totally reworked his nutrition (spreadsheets to count carbs protein and calories) and he immediately started dropping. The kid was biking 20-30 miles a day on his road bike, hitting the heavy bag in the basement, yoga every Sunday morning, 6 days a week at the dojo with the fight team and his regular martial arts training, sparring with some of the best talents in CNY... I am totally amazed with The Boy's tenacity and dedication to this fight and this sport. I know we all think our kids are pretty awesome... but this spawn of mine.... HOLY SHIT!

He was #16 on the 18 fight card, which was his deepest he's been. I was a little concerned with how much down time he was going to have (he had to be there at 1500 and didn't get into the ring until about 2140) but his coach and his team kept him focused and loose. Being that late on the card is kinda a double edged sword - a lot of time to wait and mitigate, but it's also an indicator that he's got eyes on him for a title fight. This was his last fight for a bit as he's entering cycle for his 3rd degree black belt, and cannot fight due to cycle requirements. So, we're keeping eyes out for a card at the end of the year, hopefully for a belt.

We had 3 fighters out of our dojo on the card last night, and all 3 came away with the win! It was a great night! Very proud of The Boy!

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

884B5D45-BD2C-4AF8-AA11-A9CC87218E1C.jpeg

James (his first fight), John (corner and training partner), THE ICEMAN, Sensei Maloney (trainer), Mason "MadDog" Dineen

ToofPic, TurboBlew and R1Racer99 like this.
  13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Epilogue:

Joe has been invited to rep Team USA/ISKA in Germany in October for their world championship tournament. While it’s unlikely due to him being in cycle for 3rd degree BB, and the short time, it’s a tremendous honor for him so early in his career. He’s also on the watchlist for a tournament in February in Thailand. Never in a million years would I have thought we’d be here.

Attached Files:

SuddenBraking and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Today The Boy wrapped his 3rd degree around his waist. He did it alongside his two best buds. All three of them earned their first, second, and now third degrees together. It’s been a great weekend to celebrate their achievements but a bit melancholic as this is likely the last rank they’ll earn together.

That said, now that this goal has been accomplished, he is setting his sights back to the ring and has his eyes on another kind of belt. Hoping for a title fight this spring. Biggest goal for 2024 is a spot on TeamUSA for ISKA Worlds in Prague next fall.

But for now…

Today is a good day. Just wanted to share.

759B6EAA-2B5B-4BE6-B0B2-F85F610A9731.jpeg FB1B0832-D796-46B1-855B-64FE47DA615A.jpeg

ToofPic, BigBird, borislav and 5 others like this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Congratulations. When watching his fights I am struck by his
    high level of concentration and how he keeps himself solidly
    planted throughout the fight. He doesn't look rushed at all,
    he looks like he has a plan and is checking off the boxes as
    he proceeds. He also seems very respectful of the rules and
    the process. You can't help but cheer for someone like that.

BigBird and pjzocc like this.
  16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir. Your observations are correct. And it’s his approach to the fight and respect for the game that has garnered him the attention from the higher ups at ISKA. Thank you for following and cheering!

BigBird likes this.
  17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

FIGHT’S ON!

24Feb24 in Pulaski, NY

Joe has a title fight this time! 5 rounds, 140# K1 kickboxing for the LaceUp belt! His opponent has a record of 7-6-3, from Virginia, is a southpaw and has some quickness. The kid is coming up to weight (normally fights at 130# and Joe is currently at 148#). So what the opponent has in speed he lacks in strength that Joe has. We’ve seen 3 or 4 of his fights so we’ve got a solid plan in place.

Wicked excited but also a little bit of trepidation on this one due to his opponent having so much more experience vs Joe at 3-1, but Boomer trains with the best in CNY and we feel confident going into this fight. We’re just starting week 2 of fight camp and he’s full throttle and ready to get back in the ring!

I’m taking video and pics of fight camp and training sessions and going to put together a promo video which hopefully I’ll post up here week prior to the fight - if the admins will allow. Shirt design forthcoming as well. I know it’s a longshot but in WERA peeps are close to the ‘Cuse area and have an interest, we’d love as much support for him as we can get!

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share this amazing journey with yous guys!

E31F2E9B-977E-4D09-8B49-AA0BDAF758DE.jpeg

18. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Fight poster is out! He’s got the undercard for the main event which is pretty cool! He’s training hard and busting his ass, up at 5am to get a workout in before school every morning, training in the evenings with the fight teams. Can’t wait for this one!

93F630FE-3FF2-4B5E-80C8-C9F2E60590E8.jpeg

JBraun and socalrider like this.
  19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Good luck!

pjzocc likes this.
  20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

3 weeks out to title night! And we’ve got a fight shirt for him. Fundraiser for nationals in May and (hopefully) worlds in October.

Yknow… in case anyone’s interested!

8D573004-9B24-4AE4-8A3B-664B5A720A00.jpeg C19E1F73-751E-46F3-978C-2EF1E62639B8.jpeg

bpro, ToofPic and Wingnut like this.